SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND

brianvf

I sure hope we can turn things around. I love this program and I am not a fair-weathered fan by any means. It is tough to watch this slide we are on though, I sure hope the players and coaches can make the necessary adjustments to turn this around. It has just been difficult hockey to watch as of late.

In the last month, we've played teams ranked 1-2-5 in this week's USCHO poll:  1 win -  4 losses - 1 tie

Otherwise, we've got: 3 wins - 1 loss - 1 tie.

Miami is more like the latter.  

We've got to be much smarter with the puck in our own zone; no more passing into guys that are double covered, no more blind passes.  If we can solve that this weekend, with all five guys working hard and smart on defense, we'll start becoming hard to play against.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Miami is aware of our slump and is going to try get a piece of us.
Every weekend is important to play good and win, but this one is like really important (pivotal) to get back on a playoff contender track or things could start to slip away.

You said it, if UND just thinks that they can get back on track because they are playing a lower tier team, then I think they will be sadly mistaken.  They can't afford to take anyone lightly, and if this team does, they will likely get beat.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/tyler-kleven-returns-to-practice-after-injury-last-weekend?fbclid=IwAR1xw6W1LR-SKa2uvUqarMp3ZjUXuOBarCFsUx2Edju-UuC7TRzKMPQe2Wc

Update on Kleven and Bast:

Kleven only played two shifts last weekend against Denver, suffering a lower-body injury just five minutes into Friday's game.

But this week, everything has been tracking well.

Kleven was a full participant at practice Wednesday and Berry expects his 6-foot-5, 213-pound junior blue liner to be in the lineup Friday night.

"He's playing," Berry said. "He's practiced the last few days. He'll be playing."

Sophomore defenseman Luke Bast, who has not played yet this season, has been skating this week.

Bast has been dealing with an upper-body injury since fall camp.

"He's close," Berry said. "I'd say it's a stretch for this weekend, but I would say I think there's a great chance he'll be playing against Bemidji."

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That’s good news on Bast. It was starting to sound like it’d be a while before we see him in a game. I know he’s more of the 6/7 guy in the D-core, but considering how bad a couple of the defensemen have been lately, at least having the option to put him in would be nice. 

20 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

That’s good news on Bast. It was starting to sound like it’d be a while before we see him in a game. I know he’s more of the 6/7 guy in the D-core, but considering how bad a couple of the defensemen have been lately, at least having the option to put him in would be nice. 

Agreed.
He seemed solid when he played last year.  Just need a steady dman back there.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

You said it, if UND just thinks that they can get back on track because they are playing a lower tier team, then I think they will be sadly mistaken.  They can't afford to take anyone lightly, and if this team does, they will likely get beat.  

I'd be very surprised if this team has that attitude at this point.

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Will Berry bust out the Thanksgiving themed "NODAK" jerseys for this series? Asking for a friend.

Great idea!  And then maybe a green and red Christmas colors set for December too!  The marketing possibilities of NODAK are limitless!

33 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The marketing possibilities of NODAK are limitless!

Not really. I think it might be limited to: 

Apparel, namely, aprons, babies' pants, bandanas, bath robes, bathing trunks in the nature of bathing drawers, bathing suits, swimsuits, beach clothes, namely, coverups and hats, belts as clothing, bibs, not of paper, camisoles, clothing for gymnastics, namely, leotards, clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, clothing of imitations of leather, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, clothing of leather, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, coats, collars, shoulder wraps, cuffs, wristbands as clothing, cyclists' clothing, namely, cyclists' clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, dresses, dressing gowns, footmuffs, not electrically heated, gloves, headbands, hoods, jackets, jerseys, jumper dresses, pinafore dresses, knitwear leggings, leg warmers, mittens, motorists' clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, muffs, neckties, outerclothing, namely, jackets, scarves, overalls, smocks, overcoats, topcoats, pants, drawers as clothing, paper clothing, namely, paper aprons, paper shoes used when going through metal detectors, paper hats for use as clothing items, parkas, pockets for clothing, ponchos, pullovers, pajamas, ready-made linings being parts of clothing, ready-made clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, sashes for wear, scarves, scarfs, shawls, shirt fronts, shirts, short-sleeve shirts, singlets, sports jerseys, ski gloves, skirts, skorts, socks, stockings, sweat-absorbent stockings, stuff jackets, suits, suspenders being braces for clothing, suspenders, sweat-absorbent underclothing, anti-sweat underclothing, anti-sweat underwear, sweaters, tee-shirts, tights, trousers, underpants, underwear, body linen, underclothing, uniforms, waistcoats, vests, waterproof clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes; Headwear, namely, bathing caps, cap peaks, caps, hat frames, hats, headwear for wear, skull caps, visors; Footwear, namely, bath sandals, bath slippers, beach shoes, boots, boots for sports, football shoes, football boots, footwear, sandals, shoes, slippers, sports shoes

… roughly. 

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not really. I think it might be limited to: 

Apparel, namely, aprons, babies' pants, bandanas, bath robes, bathing trunks in the nature of bathing drawers, bathing suits, swimsuits, beach clothes, namely, coverups and hats, belts as clothing, bibs, not of paper, camisoles, clothing for gymnastics, namely, leotards, clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, clothing of imitations of leather, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, clothing of leather, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, coats, collars, shoulder wraps, cuffs, wristbands as clothing, cyclists' clothing, namely, cyclists' clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, dresses, dressing gowns, footmuffs, not electrically heated, gloves, headbands, hoods, jackets, jerseys, jumper dresses, pinafore dresses, knitwear leggings, leg warmers, mittens, motorists' clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, muffs, neckties, outerclothing, namely, jackets, scarves, overalls, smocks, overcoats, topcoats, pants, drawers as clothing, paper clothing, namely, paper aprons, paper shoes used when going through metal detectors, paper hats for use as clothing items, parkas, pockets for clothing, ponchos, pullovers, pajamas, ready-made linings being parts of clothing, ready-made clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes, sashes for wear, scarves, scarfs, shawls, shirt fronts, shirts, short-sleeve shirts, singlets, sports jerseys, ski gloves, skirts, skorts, socks, stockings, sweat-absorbent stockings, stuff jackets, suits, suspenders being braces for clothing, suspenders, sweat-absorbent underclothing, anti-sweat underclothing, anti-sweat underwear, sweaters, tee-shirts, tights, trousers, underpants, underwear, body linen, underclothing, uniforms, waistcoats, vests, waterproof clothing, namely, pants, shirts, shoes; Headwear, namely, bathing caps, cap peaks, caps, hat frames, hats, headwear for wear, skull caps, visors; Footwear, namely, bath sandals, bath slippers, beach shoes, boots, boots for sports, football shoes, football boots, footwear, sandals, shoes, slippers, sports shoes

… roughly. 

Does my NODAK banana hammock idea fall under the “swimsuit” category?  Er, I mean @Oxbow6’s idea…yea, he thought of it.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-notebook-fighting-hawks-look-to-shore-up-defensive-zone

The UND coach came back to a couple of points on why UND struggled to break pucks out of its defensive zone in that game.

No. 1: UND wasn't tenacious enough on 50-50 pucks battles.

No. 2: UND needs to do a better job of puck support.

Also has a blurb about recruits that signed LOI's:

Among the players who have signed are forward Cody Croal of the Muskegon Lumberjacks, forward Jayden Perron of the Chicago Steel, defenseman Andrew Strathmann of the Youngstown Phantoms and defenseman Jake Livanavage of the Chicago Steel.