SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND

brianvf

22 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Big sweep coming. I know the boys have been reading here. Gonna be fired up ;)

I get it's a free country, but what are they doing coming on here?  We are basically a bunch of UND hockey rubes spreading truths and falsehoods.  A few on here pose as UND fans but are wolves in sheep's clothing per say.....again it's a free country.  

Before ya know it it's the #ferdaoxbow mentality.  And we all know how that year finished.  Sucker punching teammates aside....

• Upvote 2

On 11/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, crb1 said:

I sure hope we can turn things around. I love this program and I am not a fair-weathered fan by any means. It is tough to watch this slide we are on though, I sure hope the players and coaches can make the necessary adjustments to turn this around. It has just been difficult hockey to watch as of late.

I’m with you. This team is too talented to not turn this around. Looking forward, I’m a little worried about our pipeline. We have a couple nice ones…but it is a bit thin. I really do like our frosh class this year, but it’s tough to put a ton of reliance on them unless we’re talking about 1st round type talent. Crossing my fingers we turn this around and start landing some big time recruits. May have to wait a year for the 07 crop.

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m with you. This team is too talented to not turn this around. Looking forward, I’m a little worried about our pipeline. We have a couple nice ones…but it is a bit thin. I really do like our frosh class this year, but it’s tough to put a ton of reliance on them unless we’re talking about 1st round type talent. Crossing my fingers we turn this around and start landing some big time recruits. May have to wait a year for the 07 crop.

Ideally, you want a sprinkling of 1-2 year players (early round draft picks) along with a solid core group of 3-4 year players (to provide stability and leadership). Building your team entirely of 1-2 year players doesn't work because they don't stick around that long. Building your team entirely of 3-4 year players doesn't work because you don't have enough scoring punch up front. We do need to stop losing recruiting battles left and right. I don't even read the "Prospective Recruits" thread anymore because every time I look at it, it's more bad news. :angry:

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

A few things stick out. UND is 1-4-1 against ranked opponents. 

hockey.PNG

We have had a tough schedule. .500 would have been like it against those opponents. Preseason expectations had me thinking even better than .500. It is what it is though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We have had a tough schedule. .500 would have been like it against those opponents. Preseason expectations had me thinking even better than .500. It is what it is though.

In this Quinny, Minny, DU stretch, I thought we'd be 3-3 and was hoping we could sweep Quinny. *sigh* .... turnaround starts tomorrow, baby. Time to go.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

It has been a tough schedule. For sure. 

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ideally, you want a sprinkling of 1-2 year players (early round draft picks) along with a solid core group of 3-4 year players (to provide stability and leadership). Building your team entirely of 1-2 year players doesn't work because they don't stick around that long. Building your team entirely of 3-4 year players doesn't work because you don't have enough scoring punch up front. We do need to stop losing recruiting battles left and right. I don't even read the "Prospective Recruits" thread anymore because every time I look at it, it's more bad news. :angry:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/1137/univ.-of-north-dakota?tab=stats&sort=pm

These stats were completely different last season. Some many guys having a tough start to the season.  

It is odd that they haven't been better, considering they brought back nearly everyone and added some good pieces.  In fact, the additions have been the bright spots, as Farmer may have been the best D so far and the frosh have been at least ok. 

In the last series, getting caved in for much of the weekend is discouraging, as that just makes you feel the whole team is worse than the opponent.  You can still win those games, though, by keeping them to the outside and capitalizing.  And they were in fact in position to do that Saturday until the terrible giveaways that led to their third and fifth goals.  You just cannot pass the puck to the other team.  As for the fourth goal, Denver intercepted a hundred passes that night and we just needed Frisch to nab that one, but it snuck through.  I'm hoping Bast can come in and help just by not making terrible mistakes.

16 minutes ago, jk said:

It is odd that they haven't been better, considering they brought back nearly everyone and added some good pieces.  In fact, the additions have been the bright spots, as Farmer may have been the best D so far and the frosh have been at least ok. 

In the last series, getting caved in for much of the weekend is discouraging, as that just makes you feel the whole team is worse than the opponent.  You can still win those games, though, by keeping them to the outside and capitalizing.  And they were in fact in position to do that Saturday until the terrible giveaways that led to their third and fifth goals.  You just cannot pass the puck to the other team.  As for the fourth goal, Denver intercepted a hundred passes that night and we just needed Frisch to nab that one, but it snuck through.  I'm hoping Bast can come in and help just by not making terrible mistakes.

This has been the problem all season. Crumbling in transition when we have pressure in our face. Absolutely awful first passes led to loss of possession and turnovers. 

This is incredibly fixable, but we just have to do it. 

Was thinking the same thing on Bast. Johnson or Moore could use a day off to try and snap them back into it.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This has been the problem all season. Crumbling in transition when we have pressure in our face. Absolutely awful first passes led to loss of possession and turnovers. 

This is incredibly fixable, but we just have to do it. 

Was thinking the same thing on Bast. Johnson or Moore could use a day off to try and snap them back into it.

Mistakes get made in every game…even at the NHL level.  There going to happen. In Fri game….2 fwds left the puck right in the slot and skated away without it which I believe led to a goal.  UND lives and dies by the stretch pass. Seems like they want to play a fast game. Even Brad talks about it on his pod cast this week.  Sometimes the D had no option for outlets.  Do we need to do a better job making pass to our team yes, but they can’t always be 75 foot ones.  Maybe we need a system like Denver where the fwds support the D more in transition. 

the stats on plus minus show that several veteran F/D are off to a rough start.  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/1137/univ.-of-north-dakota?tab=stats&sort=pm

2 hours ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

Mistakes get made in every game…even at the NHL level.  There going to happen. In Fri game….2 fwds left the puck right in the slot and skated away without it which I believe led to a goal.  UND lives and dies by the stretch pass. Seems like they want to play a fast game. Even Brad talks about it on his pod cast this week.  Sometimes the D had no option for outlets.  Do we need to do a better job making pass to our team yes, but they can’t always be 75 foot ones.  Maybe we need a system like Denver where the fwds support the D more in transition. 

the stats on plus minus show that several veteran F/D are off to a rough start.  

The problem is, it's not happening once or twice, it's happening several times a game. We've consistently been able to transition for many, many years and many of the players on this team have been able to do it, as well. It can and will get fixed, I believe.

Not sure I agree with your assessment on stretch passes, but we absolutely have a system that supports the D in transition. We've had the same breakout for as long as I can remember. Make a pass up, or short, if it's not there, chip it to neutral. We haven't done it enough, this season. That's my point. 

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Who was the tie against?  I seem to recall a big celebration and fireworks going off on Friday after the Quinnipiac game.

If you're trying to say that that skills competition didn't mean anything....

You're completely right.  

• Upvote 1