SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

UND will again have hard time stopping Bison and I suspect they again will open up the game with passing to their tight ends and then will open up the run. Offensively it will come down to Ol line because SU defense strength is in their secondary. If we can move the ball running and short passing game we then control the game. I think this game is winnable if we can get up on them making them have to move away from ball control game. Also this will take the crowd out of it. It will come down which team can expose other’s weaknesses

17 minutes ago, Kab said:

Bison AD IS ON COMMITTEE, DOES THAT HELP OR HURT

Seems like it helps to me.. The Bison need us in their argument for higher seeding.. If they beat us this weekend we would be their best win  and only ranked win of the year (think about that)..  If we beat them this weekend they need to talk about how good we were to improve their argument for seeding.  They only screw themselves by talking us down.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kab said:

That could go either way, depends on what's up.
I wouldn't trust him around UND stuff. Matt not even too likeable around their FB fans.

UND is fairly new kid on the block and not going to get anything easy from that committee.
UNI ring a bell, completely opposite.  
Coaches Poll should give you some insight also. 
We need to earn some respect by consistently winning.
A Saturday W would make a mark with that committee.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That could go either way, depends on what's up.
I wouldn't trust him around UND stuff. Matt not even too likeable around their FB fans.

UND is fairly new kid on the block and not going to get anything easy from that committee.
UNI ring a bell, completely opposite.  
Coaches Poll should give you some insight also. 
We need to earn some respect by consistently winning.

One more thing.  ACU is now 7-3 they were not in any poll last week as I remember.  If they beat SFA next week they get an Auto bid.  Helps but ranking would also help.

A lot of people on the FCS fans nation page saying......Big Sky with 5 or 6 teams in, and Valley with only 2, but it's probably fans from the Big Sky that are saying that of course.  Just seems flat out ridiculous the Big Sky would get 6 in and only 2 from MVFC, especially if that 3rd MVFC team has a top 10 SoS.  Just can't see the selection committee doing that without some major justification.  Hoping Montana and Idaho lose this weekend.  Hopefully our old nemesis Idaho State can help us out and upset Idaho.  If Montana loses they don't have a single good win all season, they would have to hang their hat on close/quality losses and 7-4. 

ACU winning this Saturday would definitely be big for us, hope YSU wins also.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

A lot of people on the FCS fans nation page saying......Big Sky with 5 or 6 teams in, and Valley with only 2, but it's probably fans from the Big Sky that are saying that of course.  Just seems flat out ridiculous the Big Sky would get 6 in and only 2 from MVFC, especially if that 3rd MVFC team has a top 10 SoS.  Just can't see the selection committee doing that without some major justification.  Hoping Montana and Idaho lose this weekend.  Hopefully our old nemesis Idaho State can help us out and upset Idaho.  If Montana loses they don't have a single good win all season, they would have to hang their hat on close/quality losses and 7-4. 

ACU winning this Saturday would definitely be big for us, hope YSU wins also.  

If it were UNI or YSU with our record they would be saying 4 valley teams in. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

If it were UNI or YSU with our record they would be saying 4 valley teams in. 

Hopefully YSU beats SIU this weekend...there would be two 7-4 Valley teams....don't see how you couldn't take one of them....and obviously we get the tie breaker on that.  Let's just win so our only worry is if we are seeded or not.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, sioux24/7 said:

Like what’s been said, if Luepke is out that’s huge for us. Even without him though, I fear how we stop their running. I wouldn’t be shocked if they go with their approach they had against WIU, just pound the rock. 

On the offensive side, I’d be shocked if we can’t consistently move the ball. That’s not necessarily a slight to their defense but our offense is humming. Maybe they are the ones to stop that. 

I get they are great at pounding the rock and it wears teams down and controls the clock, BUT every team we play seems to throw 8-10 yard pass plays effortlessly. Unless we change something this week, I don't know why this game would be any different. We absolutely have to defend Mathis better than other teams. The guy is a monster and will get his catches, the key is to actually wrap him up and make the tackle. I haven't watched much Bison football this year, but the games I have seen he seems to slip away from tackles with ease because he is so damn big.

17 hours ago, Kab said:

It helps. They are going to push for their conference to have more teams, and apart from the SU teams, UND is the next team up. I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that. If it was Gene Taylor I might feel differently, but most of the people in these positions are professional who are there to do a job, not to snub there rivals for fan points.

1 minute ago, Mama Sue said:

Ok…time for true confession absolutely NOT me…but my sister and her boyfriend streaked from the front door bar thru the back door of the eating area about March 1974. I was in the get away car with my boyfriend who drove….

It's not too late, don't let your sister hog the glory, you got this.

2 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Ok…time for true confession absolutely NOT me…but my sister and her boyfriend streaked from the front door bar thru the back door of the eating area about March 1974. I was in the get away car with my boyfriend who drove….

Sure Sure .... "NOT me" ..... mmmhmmm ... we all believe that one :lol:

17 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

So we have a volunteer with experience! 
:)

19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we get smoked in this game I’m going to expect a playoff snub.

got heat for saying 7 doesn't guarantee us jack...what's our signature win this year?

youngstown state? and what's their signature win?  duquense?

abilnene christian?  and what's their signature win? sam houston?

need to see this ndac as a playoff game too.....

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I get they are great at pounding the rock and it wears teams down and controls the clock, BUT every team we play seems to throw 8-10 yard pass plays effortlessly. Unless we change something this week, I don't know why this game would be any different. We absolutely have to defend Mathis better than other teams. The guy is a monster and will get his catches, the key is to actually wrap him up and make the tackle. I haven't watched much Bison football this year, but the games I have seen he seems to slip away from tackles with ease because he is so damn big.

He averages 2 catches and 30 yards per game. Using him as a deep threat isn't going to be what beats UND. It is keeping it at 3rd and manageable and let their game manager QB have short yardage for conversions to keep their offense on the field. He's no Tommy Gun, but he's pretty efficient and does what's needed.

I called it 2 months ago, not surprised that Luepke is dinged up and will likely miss the game. Helpful for UND but Williams is a very good back.

Really hoping Roehl spends all week in his own head trying to scheme up an unnecessary gameplan.