SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

30 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Ball game, Mo State beats YSU

bad loss for Youngstown, that could cripple their playoff hopes even if they beat SIU next week 

With the way things have played out and SIU losing, I am ok with YSU losing.  If they won and also win next week they are 8-3 and probably seeded ahead of us.  I'd say we are now locked at being at least the 3rd seeded Valley team....and are now also a lock for the playoffs no matter what happens....unless we get beat 55-0 or something next week.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Think this is a new one, but not sure

You are a 100% correct.  Miller is good if he doesn't have to throw and they pick the right to be effective.  They have RB's.

We need to score early and often in long drives.  TOP to make them uncomfortable.

I heard USD offense and their defense will be returning large number but at same time their fans are calling for Nielson to be fired. The question then comes do more stay with the program if he.stays or let go. If they do have number of transfers would be interested in them or not . Just something I was thinking about after the game how this years transfer have been big addition to the team. I think transfer we lost on the defense has had impact on our defense this year. 

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Did you say rival?
There's some trolls that shop here that'll throw up a little / swallow when they read this.

I’m ok with NDSU not thinking we are their rival, but there’s no doubt they are UND’s rival. They are the model we are trying to follow and are the chief thing standing in our way. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Need Idaho to win tonight to get UC Davis to 5 losses.

No UC Davis to win.  Idaho was ranked ahead of us and their only big win was Montana(that loss started the Griz skid).  Idaho lost and UND should move ahead of Idaho in the polls.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I heard USD offense and their defense will be returning large number but at same time their fans are calling for Nielson to be fired. The question then comes do more stay with the program if he.stays or let go. If they do have number of transfers would be interested in them or not . Just something I was thinking about after the game how this years transfer have been big addition to the team. I think transfer we lost on the defense has had impact on our defense this year. 

USD is in a rock and a hard place, he has 1 year left on his contract and you don't want a lame duck situation.  So they have to bite the bullet on letting him go and getting a new coach or letting him go.  

They also have an EXTREMELY favorable schedule next year

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I’m ok with NDSU not thinking we are their rival, but there’s no doubt they are UND’s rival. They are the model we are trying to follow and are the chief thing standing in our way. 

They can say it all they want. When UND beats NDSU it will sting them emotionally more than losing to any other team/game.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

They can say it all they want. When UND beats NDSU it will sting them emotionally more than losing to any other team/game.

I agree.  Despite all their success and championships, it still works for me to tell my die-hard Bison co-worker that UND has beaten them more times than they've beaten us.

• Upvote 2

Pretty neat. College game day in Montana 

Football 11/13/2022 9:44:46 AM By: Tyson Rodgers

Bozeman Lands Big Sky's First-Ever College GameDay Appearance 

The Brawl of the Wild will have a national stage next Saturday at Montana State

FARMINGTON, Utah (Nov. 13, 2022) - It finally happened. ESPN announced on Sunday that “College GameDay” is heading to Bozeman, Montana, for this week's 121st Brawl of the Wild between nationally-ranked Montana State and Montana, marking the popular pregame show's first-ever trip to a Big Sky campus. 

College GameDay will be live from Bozeman at 7:00-10:00 a.m. MT on Saturday, Nov. 19, with kickoff between the Bobcats and Griz slated for 12:00 p.m. MT. Fans can watch the 121st Brawl of the Wild on ESPN+ or tune in to Montana Television Network, who will also be carrying the game's broadcast

This is about as shady as it gets. SEMO is 8-2 and UT Martin is 6-4, but they are both undefeated in conference and don't play each other this year. So if they both win this week, it's a tie with no tiebreaker, so OVC says it would come down to a coin flip.

Here's the thing, SEMO would be 9-2 so if they lost the coin flip for the auto bid, they would be in anyways. UT Martin needs the auto bid to get into the playoffs at all. The OVC however said they wouldn't broadcast the coin flip. So they could just claim that they did a coin flip that Martin won, because then they would get two teams in instead of one if SEMO won the toss. People complain about transparency in FCS football and this is not helping.

39 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:
This is about as shady as it gets. SEMO is 8-2 and UT Martin is 6-4, but they are both undefeated in conference and don't play each other this year. So if they both win this week, it's a tie with no tiebreaker, so OVC says it would come down to a coin flip.

Here's the thing, SEMO would be 9-2 so if they lost the coin flip for the auto bid, they would be in anyways. UT Martin needs the auto bid to get into the playoffs at all. The OVC however said they wouldn't broadcast the coin flip. So they could just claim that they did a coin flip that Martin won, because then they would get two teams in instead of one if SEMO won the toss. People complain about transparency in FCS football and this is not helping.

How does a conference with 7 teams not have everyone play each other?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

How does a conference with 7 teams not have everyone play each other?

Blame Lindenwood.

The original 2022 schedule was adjusted due to membership transition. Lindenwood joined the OVC in late February 2022 becoming the conference’s seventh football-playing school. Because of the non-conference games already contracted, and in order to add Lindenwood to the conference schedule, each school played one (1) fewer OVC opponent. The number of road and home games were balanced out, and the five-game conference schedule was adopted by the Council of Directors of Athletics in March 2022 in compliance with NCAA rules.

The Forum guys pointed this out and it's something I found interesting. I assumed with the likes of JMU, Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State leaving that it would be easier than ever to make the playoffs. As it's playing out that has not been the case (see #3 MVFC being a potential bubble team). The reasoning being that every team in those conferences now has one less loss than they would have had. Ultimately, the top teams leaving has had the opposite effect that I would have thought.