SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

You can't beat experience in NCAA hockey.  Both Senden and Hain returning brings back good experience and leadership, which is great.
I'm sure Berry already has an idea of incoming recruits/outgoing portal forwards/etc.

As long as we don't lose out on any incoming recruits because we ask them to wait a year, I'm good.  Guys like Strinden, Spicer, etc could very much benefit from another year of juniors before making the jump to NCAA hockey.

Now I'm just wondering who we'll see enter the portal from our forward group.  There's got to be 1 or 2 players I'd guess unless we're carrying 17F?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Now I'm just wondering who we'll see enter the portal from our forward group.  There's got to be 1 or 2 players I'd guess unless we're carrying 17F?

You would think this would be something that we'll find out really soon, like end of week type deal. The sooner the better for the player if they were to go to the portal.

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You can't beat experience in NCAA hockey.  Both Senden and Hain returning brings back good experience and leadership, which is great.
I'm sure Berry already has an idea of incoming recruits/outgoing portal forwards/etc.

As long as we don't lose out on any incoming recruits because we ask them to wait a year, I'm good.  Guys like Strinden, Spicer, etc could very much benefit from another year of juniors before making the jump to NCAA hockey.

Senden's poor turnover in the D zone which directly lead to to ND first goal didn't scream experience. Things like that happen but.......

• Upvote 2

To me, if I was having "crucial conversations" it'd be:

Budy: at UND, 50 games, 5-5-10, 34 PIM, underwhelming (his at DU line is 6 0-0-0 4) 

Montgomery: this is harsh, but he shouldn't have been here, he was the emergency pick up when Weatherby left so technically he'd still be in junior if not for that, and I believe he has a year of juniors eligibility left (DOB: Jan 2002) and he could use it to work on offense, he's 16 1-2-3-2 at UND, call him "Quinn Fylling 2.0". 

15 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I always thought you have a top 6 , scoring lines, one checking line and one energy , pesky line but that’s just me. 

Look at the line charts for Denver / Minnesota / Michigan. 

Mazur / Rizzo / Wright on the 3rd line. That'll get you to the Frozen Four. 

Duke / Beecher / Samoskevich on the 3rd line. That'll get you to the Frozen Four. 

48 minutes ago, brianvf said:

As long as we don't lose out on any incoming recruits because we ask them to wait a year, I'm good.

That's the million-dollar question. IMO, the team's most glaring weakness this past year was lack of scoring from the forward group. Do we want to lose guys who potentially fill that role in order to keep some of those guys we already have? 

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

That's the million-dollar question. IMO, the team's most glaring weakness this past year was lack of scoring from the forward group. Do we want to lose guys who potentially fill that role in order to keep some of those guys we already have? 

Schloss feels Blake and McLaughlin are coming in for sure. Strinden mostly likely was well.

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

The refs are already going to the box to check the replay for a 5min major.  ;) 

Who you kidding ... he's been given two Game DQs for 2022-23 already pre-emptively! 

Rule 23 - Disqualification Penalties
23.1 Disqualification Penalty - A disqualification penalty involves the removal of a player, including a goalkeeper, for the remainder of the game plus a major penalty, and may be assessed before the start of the game, or during or after the game.

:D 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

This is all fine and dandy to have them back but it doesn't help with the lack of skill

Hain was one of our leading goal scorers this season before his season-ending injury.
He had scored in 5 of his last 8 games before his injury.

• Upvote 1

Have to think we have a guy or two enter the portal or sign in the coming weeks. The two most logical guys to me would be Budy and Calder and I wouldn't mind seeing either of them go. 

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake

Costantini-McLaughlin-James

Kunz-Jamernik-Caulfield

Hain-Senden-Portz/Ness

Albrecht, Montgomery, Strinden

2 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Have to think we have a guy or two enter the portal or sign in the coming weeks. The two most logical guys to me would be Budy and Calder and I wouldn't mind seeing either of them go.

I think Calder has a place on next years team in a scoring role.  He was tied for 2nd on our team in goals this season.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think Calder has a place on next years team in a scoring role.  He was tied for 2nd on our team in goals this season.

I think he signs a pro deal somewhere. If he is back I think he ends up playing bottom 6 fit wise just lacking a little bit of playmaking ability and speed wise. It is probably me hoping and thinking more of the skill we are bringing in with Blake, McLaughlin, and hopefully James needing to be top 6 guys to be a more explosive offensive team.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Big part of the reason Calder transferred to UND because Lake State doesn’t have graduate programs - I do not think he is going anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

The player I want to see play smarter next year is Jandric. Maybe I'm being petty, but I go back to two points on the season with him.

The spearing call against SCSU, which was obvious and deliberate. That is the kind of crap I hate seeing in hockey, especially from UND. When I saw it I was actually hoping he would get 5 and the game because I hate that kind of stuff. Glad it was called the right way.

Then there was the penalty in OT against Notre Dame. Have to use your head a bit and consider the timing of the game. I'm not going to put it all on him and say that cost us the game, but it certainly didn't help us.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I think he signs a pro deal somewhere. If he is back I think he ends up playing bottom 6 fit wise just lacking a little bit of playmaking ability and speed wise. It is probably me hoping and thinking more of the skill we are bringing in with Blake, McLaughlin, and hopefully James needing to be top 6 guys to be a more explosive offensive team.

I like Calder. He probably has the best wrist shot on the team and was scoring at a decent pace before the nasty slash he took against Minnesota. I don't think he was anywhere near 100% the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The player I want to see play smarter next year is Jandric. Maybe I'm being petty, but I go back to two points on the season with him.

The spearing call against SCSU, which was obvious and deliberate. That is the kind of crap I hate seeing in hockey, especially from UND. When I saw it I was actually hoping he would get 5 and the game because I hate that kind of stuff. Glad it was called the right way.

Then there was the penalty in OT against Notre Dame. Have to use your head a bit and consider the timing of the game. I'm not going to put it all on him and say that cost us the game, but it certainly didn't help us.

Jandric was so shaky in the first month, and I was wondering why he was here.  But it turns out he was super rusty after not playing the year before, and I thought he got better and better all year.  

I don't disagree on the spear, but I will on the OT penalty.  He did make a mistake, in fanning on the puck as it went by at the point. But he made the only play he could at that point, which was to interfere with the guy about to go on a breakaway.  It was the smart play. 

• Like 1