SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND team not to win a national title

NoDak Fan

47 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I actually created a formula for ranking individual teams that made the NCAA Tournament across eras.  I had a thread on it over at USCHO for quite some time.  In any event, for the curious, here are where UND's teams stack up amongst the top 100 all time according to that formula (for the purposes of this thread, bolded are non-champions):

4. 1986-1987 North Dakota - 233.8107 Points

15. 2015-2016 North Dakota - 206.293 Points

19.2003-2004 North Dakota - 201.94 Points

24. 2010-2011 North Dakota - 192.042 Points

26. 1979-1980 North Dakota - 189.704 Points

34. 1996-1997 North Dakota - 186.5734 Points

50. 2000-2001 North Dakota - 170.5025 Points

57. 1998-1999 North Dakota - 164.72 Points

63. 1999-2000 North Dakota - 160.6462 Points

69. 2020-2021 North Dakota - 158.5835 Points

72. 1981-1982 North Dakota - 156.235 Points

74. 2014-2015 North Dakota - 155.409 Points

95. 1978-1979 North Dakota - 145.8522 Points

Does 19-20 not register due to the season going unfinished?

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Does 19-20 not register due to the season going unfinished?

Correct. The formula relies upon various data points to compare teams across years. Some of those data points include the NCAA Tournament games. So, if there was no NCAA Tournament that season, the formula would throw a weird result. Thus, I don't include teams from a non tournament season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

I'm still not over 2011.  All they needed was that first one, and the floodgates were about to burst open.   

Same here.  That was a hard loss to take.
Outshot them 40-20, and the game certainly looked like pure domination.
The Trupp/Malone/Frattin line alone had as many SOG as the entire Michigan team.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1011/boxes/mmicndk1.a07

6 hours ago, Dustin said:

That team exorcised all of the Frozen Four failures between 2005 to 2015.  2016 was the sweetest of them all.

You misquoted me... I implied that that win made all the demons work so hard from frustration due to us winning that they passed away from exhaustion, duh ;)

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

The Trupp/Malone/Frattin line alone had as many SOG as the entire Michigan team.

And I remember Frattin standing in the slot with the puck on his stick and no one except the goalie in front of him. He missed the net by about a foot.

2011 season no question - still probably my favorite all-time squad. So much talent, depth, and characters.  Still tbt toughest loss to see in person at the X.

1999 as well. Stunning loss to BC. Glad many had the shot to exorcise demons the next year to not only win it, but to beat the Eagles. 

10 hours ago, brianvf said:

Talked to Barry Melrose the next morning as he was enjoying a Cigar on the bench outside of the Embassy Suites as we were heading to the Twins game and he said something along the lines of tough loss, Michigan played the whole game not to lose and got away with it, and if they played 20 times Michigan would be lucky to win twice and unfortunately for you guys once was last night.

2010-2011 was the toughest loss and in my memory, the best team. The losses to BC + all other FF losses hurt, but that 2011 was just different. After all the FF losses, thought it was finally time to get it done. One underrated game that hurt losing was '09 vs UNH. That team might not stack up on this list, but that loss hurt like it does. Game that got away. 

The NCAA basketball tournament showed us the excitement and heartbreak of the one-and-done format in the NCAA Tournament.

I just wonder if hockey was played in the same fashion as NCAA baseball with best two-of-three regionals/super regionals would UND have a few banners hanging in the Ralph. No way som  of these talked-about teams like 2003-04, 2010-11, 1998-99 lose two of out three.

It won't happen since best-of-three series cost money and money is something the NCAA doesn't like to spend on niche sports with low profile on the national sports scene.

My two cents

47 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

The NCAA basketball tournament showed us the excitement and heartbreak of the one-and-done format in the NCAA Tournament.

I just wonder if hockey was played in the same fashion as NCAA baseball with best two-of-three regionals/super regionals would UND have a few banners hanging in the Ralph. No way som  of these talked-about teams like 2003-04, 2010-11, 1998-99 lose two of out three.

It won't happen since best-of-three series cost money and money is something the NCAA doesn't like to spend on niche sports with low profile on the national sports scene.

My two cents

In fairness i'm not sure UND wins the NC in 1997 or 2000 if it was best 2 out of 3.  My guess is the number of banners would be similar.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

And I remember Frattin standing in the slot with the puck on his stick and no one except the goalie in front of him. He missed the net by about a foot.

And Trupper ringing the post with about 6 minutes left, or so.

6 hours ago, NoDaks said:

2010-2011 was the toughest loss and in my memory, the best team. The losses to BC + all other FF losses hurt, but that 2011 was just different. After all the FF losses, thought it was finally time to get it done. One underrated game that hurt losing was '09 vs UNH. That team might not stack up on this list, but that loss hurt like it does. Game that got away. 

If memory serves me correctly, Duncan won like 3 draws in a row in our own end.  UNH won the last draw and scored with maybe a second to go to tie it up and send to OT.  Sioux were up that whole game I believe.

7 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

If memory serves me correctly, Duncan won like 3 draws in a row in our own end.  UNH won the last draw and scored with maybe a second to go to tie it up and send to OT.  Sioux were up that whole game I believe.

Only thing I remember is Joe Finley being an absolute pylon in this game.

36 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Stop it!  I remember that game like it was yesterday. 

38E6309D-B012-48D3-8F46-53EC72B68F9C.jpeg