SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t think they can play like this next week if they expect to win. 

The good thing is that other girls stepped up and contributed at different times. They played good D. Good teams find a way to win when you aren’t at your best. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

They do, but I would argue that their toughest road trips are over it. 

Split next weekend Check

Sweep DU/Omaha Check

Sweep ORU/KC Check

Sweep WIU/UST

12-6, 19-9, and a top 3 seed

Make it so UND!

3 out of 4 so far.  Two more games away!

• Upvote 1

Congratulations and thank you to the seniors and Mal.  They have been a big part of turning around a program where we were praying for a win - any win - a couple of years ago to a culture where we expect to win again every night.  It’s great to see the program as a contender again.  Now let’s finish this out and get into the post season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hans8891 said:

Congratulations and thank you to the seniors and Mal.  They have been a big part of turning around a program where we were praying for a win - any win - a couple of years ago to a culture where we expect to win again every night.  It’s great to see the program as a contender again.  Now let’s finish this out and get into the post season. 

Two years ago many wanted Mal gone after she took over.  Many losts were by a few points.  Players lived her and played for her injuries made the different,  best coach since Roebuck.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Two years ago many wanted Mal gone after she took over.  Many losts were by a few points.  Players lived her and played for her injuries made the different,  best coach since Roebuck.

We have great assistant coaches too!

I too had questioned on Bernhard but felt she would become good coach just thought it would take her several years to gain that experience. I was wrong on that and looking back interim year was unfair to her holding her responsible for outcome but would not  give her full control and knowing she had time to make changes and would have time to do so. Also limited her on recruiting because would be difficult to get commitments from recruits not knowing if she was going to be their coach through college career. I think she is getting better as she goes along because she is learning how to handle team and getting better at constructing team. I impressed with this group of payers and not only how they play but high quality of individuals and, they represent university well will become very successful people in their lives. I think the future looks bright going forward it now will take time to build program to reach level where they can compete to get to next level in division I basketball but takes time by building reputation by becoming winning program year in year out. Quite a turn around in just few years .

Western Illinois will be tough game tonight even though on paper we should win. They are always prepared and they seem to like split most of their series with conference opponents. Ideally tonight we would win and NDSU would lose and then on top of that would be USD would lose  2 this week and Denver win Saturday then I think we would be covered if we were in tie with NDSU. I sure would like us to finish in the number two spot for locking up post season play. A sweep this week and winning games at Summit tournament would get us to 20 win game season also helping our chances in the post season. Just win tonight and Saturday and I believe everything will fall in place for this team.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Western Illinois will be tough game tonight even though on paper we should win. They are always prepared and they seem to like split most of their series with conference opponents. Ideally tonight we would win and NDSU would lose and then on top of that would be USD would lose  2 this week and Denver win Saturday then I think we would be covered if we were in tie with NDSU. I sure would like us to finish in the number two spot for locking up post season play. A sweep this week and winning games at Summit tournament would get us to 20 win game season also helping our chances in the post season. Just win tonight and Saturday and I believe everything will fall in place for this team.

Just keep winning.  If they can win these two and win 2 in Sioux Falls, that would be more than enough to secure an At large to the WNIT.

Or worse case the WBI, where at least there you get 3 guarateed games no matter what. 

• Upvote 1