SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

I’d agree extending her 100% but we don’t need to throw the bank at her

So what $ amount do think is fair

one persons bank is chump change to,others 

It’s just not her salary but to have success you need to have good assistants to help develop talent and also recruit talent. Mallory needs to be paid somewhere near midrange and also assistant coaches need to be brought in level play. We all expect high performance and I think we have been getting good effort to improving the program but people need to be rewarded for effort.

Past history of UND in getting looks at post season invites i am not very confident on getting a bid. I can't tell you the reason but there seems to be some bias against us  and i don't know if stems from nickname or other reason. I look at football can have best bid in still don't get to play at home or send us to deep south and have to dress in outdoor tent.  Last time Women's basketball ends up playing very good Weber team and loose in very close game and they move on reach the championship game.  Yeserday's loss was not the way to get into WNIT we end the season with two straight losses to number 9 seed and number 6 seed out the Summit conference and our wins against NDSU losing to number 10 seed, South Dakota loosing against 5 seed  ORU  pretty much lowers the value of most of their wins down the stretch on paper. I hope I'm wrong but nothing comes easy in rebuilding this program in Women's Basketball and it appears they are going to have to prove it by winning on the court to get to the dance.

11 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Past history of UND in getting looks at post season invites i am not very confident on getting a bid. I can't tell you the reason but there seems to be some bias against us  and i don't know if stems from nickname or other reason. I look at football can have best bid in still don't get to play at home or send us to deep south and have to dress in outdoor tent.  Last time Women's basketball ends up playing very good Weber team and loose in very close game and they move on reach the championship game.  Yeserday's loss was not the way to get into WNIT we end the season with two straight losses to number 9 seed and number 6 seed out the Summit conference and our wins against NDSU losing to number 10 seed, South Dakota loosing against 5 seed  ORU  pretty much lowers the value of most of their wins down the stretch on paper. I hope I'm wrong but nothing comes easy in rebuilding this program in Women's Basketball and it appears they are going to have to prove it by winning on the court to get to the dance.

I looked at the records of the teams that made the WBI last year

BG 15-15
Fur 19-12
SMU 15-15
AP 19-11
David 16-14
Nevada 19-11
Cleveland St 19-8
NE 14-15

Don't know why they couldn't make it.

• Like 1

In thinking about these tournaments that sit behind the NCAA and even the WNIT. I think a great deal about the 2013-14 Men’s team.  They were a vteran team that expended absolutely everything trying to win that Big Sky Title at Weber St.  The veterans of Huff, Anderson and Webb had done everything asked. Webb got injured, Schuler was injured etc…when the chance to do the CIT came at Omaha, it was a UND team that was physically spent and emotionally spent. I remember visiting with the coaches at an event that summer, and they admitted that that Omaha CIT game was maybe just too much.  The coaches said that the guys mouths said yes that they would play, and the coaches so much liked coaching that group that they wanted another game with them, but they acknowledged that looking back it,  the guys had spent everything, and it was so apparent in the loss against the Mavericks, that already everything had been given.

What I’m getiting at, although every team is different, sometimes its ok to be done too.  If the Women get a chance to play, I’m all for it, but its not the end of the world if they don’t play in the WBI.  I think of the way this season has ended the last 2 weeks and think with a fairly veteran group, maybe everything has already been given. If that’s the case I thank them for moving this program forward.

57 minutes ago, the green team said:

In thinking about these tournaments that sit behind the NCAA and even the WNIT. I think a great deal about the 2013-14 Men’s team.  They were a vteran team that expended absolutely everything trying to win that Big Sky Title at Weber St.  The veterans of Huff, Anderson and Webb had done everything asked. Webb got injured, Schuler was injured etc…when the chance to do the CIT came at Omaha, it was a UND team that was physically spent and emotionally spent. I remember visiting with the coaches at an event that summer, and they admitted that that Omaha CIT game was maybe just too much.  The coaches said that the guys mouths said yes that they would play, and the coaches so much liked coaching that group that they wanted another game with them, but they acknowledged that looking back it,  the guys had spent everything, and it was so apparent in the loss against the Mavericks, that already everything had been given.

What I’m getiting at, although every team is different, sometimes its ok to be done too.  If the Women get a chance to play, I’m all for it, but its not the end of the world if they don’t play in the WBI.  I think of the way this season has ended the last 2 weeks and think with a fairly veteran group, maybe everything has already been given. If that’s the case I thank them for moving this program forward.

Well one good thing came out of that CIT game:  Huff got to 2,000 career points. 

I think of it also is getting more reps for likes of Hurst, Beal, Aumer, Vanderwal, McCarthy.  People that UND will need next year to fill the holes left by Orth, Gordon, Daninger, and Manson, while the freshman get up to speed.  The more those women can play, the better. 

Plus, I would love to see Orth get to 1,000 career points, she is only 39 points away.

The mention of the 23-24 season, I have to start with the construction of the roster for UND. They will have 6 scholarships available as it stands now to construct the roster. They already have 3 freshmen commits for next season leaving three openings. The three commits are one guard and two guard-forwards who are just around 6 feet tall.  I have to believe they have to be looking for one of these positions to be plus 6-foot player that will be able to provide minutes right away. The reason for that if we're going to be able to make run for the Summit we need to start matching up with taller teams where we had trouble this past season. Being quick and athletic only goes so far because number of these teams are still athletic and being tall give them definite match-up advantage. Also, Hurst does have big presence inside, but I think it's going to take her time to figure out how control her play without getting in foul trouble because she is such aggressive player both offensively and defensively that leads to her picking up extra fouls. Then comes the question if Kacie's sister does want to come UND and how that will affect team. I think with right addition of these 3 open spots we can compete to be one of the top teams in the Summit. I sure do hope we can get post season invite because that extra playing time will be such positive for younger players gaining valuable experience and has been one reason South Dakota schools have been ahead of rest of the schools in the Summit. It also helps to recruit better players because people want to play on winning teams. This is not to mention to help coaching staff learn also from playing better teams.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

The mention of the 23-24 season, I have to start with the construction of the roster for UND. They will have 6 scholarships available as it stands now to construct the roster. They already have 3 freshmen commits for next season leaving three openings. The three commits are one guard and two guard-forwards who are just around 6 feet tall.  I have to believe they have to be looking for one of these positions to be plus 6-foot player that will be able to provide minutes right away. The reason for that if we're going to be able to make run for the Summit we need to start matching up with taller teams where we had trouble this past season. Being quick and athletic only goes so far because number of these teams are still athletic and being tall give them definite match-up advantage. Also, Hurst does have big presence inside, but I think it's going to take her time to figure out how control her play without getting in foul trouble because she is such aggressive player both offensively and defensively that leads to her picking up extra fouls. Then comes the question if Kacie's sister does want to come UND and how that will affect team. I think with right addition of these 3 open spots we can compete to be one of the top teams in the Summit. I sure do hope we can get post season invite because that extra playing time will be such positive for younger players gaining valuable experience and has been one reason South Dakota schools have been ahead of rest of the schools in the Summit. It also helps to recruit better players because people want to play on winning teams. This is not to mention to help coaching staff learn also from playing better teams.

Quick question:  Where are you getting 6 scholarships from?  I know 5 seniors are moving on, who is the 6th?

Just to note, the two teams that played in the championship of the WBI last year both won their respective conference tournaments this year and qualified for the NCAA’s.  So winning even a tournament like this can springboard a team into the following season.  

• Upvote 4

More post season means more allowed practices means more reps for underclassmen. That matters. Don't believe me? Look at a particular football program in Cass County ND. They've practiced into January for a decade where most of the rest are done six weeks earlier. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

More post season means more allowed practices means more reps for underclassmen. That matters. Don't believe me? Look at a particular football program in Cass County ND. They've practiced into January for a decade where most of the rest are done six weeks earlier. 

Exactly:  Hurst, Beal, Aumer, Vanderwal, McCarthy need all the reps that they can get.