SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

Only fair to fire up the season thread for the women!

Much improved from the year before, but the ending was a bit of a bitter taste.

UND says goodbye to Leet and bring backs several key contributors and adds a talented freshman class.

Lets see if they are ready to take the next step and get to 20 wins and finish in the top 3 in the conference and FINALLY beat NDSU for a change. 

• Upvote 1

I have something i think needs to be talked about that is Summit conference tournament and basically is it fair to other 8 schools that game is basically played on South Dakota home quart for both the South Dakota schools. Yes, the crowd draw is tremendous and i am sure it provides additional monies back to majority of conference members. The negative is this promotes the two South Dakota Schools basketball programs in that they have large advantage in recruiting talent. I am sure they show how they get to play in front of large crowds of their fans to prospective recruits. These advantages have help build these programs to where they are far way deeper in talent than most of the other schools in the conference. 

The above advantages that come to South Dakota schools makes it very difficult for other schools in conference to build their programs and compete to get to NCAA tournament. This does not mean it can't be achieved but it makes it hard to build a program that has year in year out success with the advantage these schools have. I also got to believe it's why we hear how number of the schools in conference are looking to other conferences to compete in. Even our newest conference member there're rumors they are only going to use Summit as stepping stone to get to a desired conference for them. I just got done watching tournament on both sides of tournament for men and women the South Dakota schools were basically playing at home . This playing at home usually has always meant about 10 point advantage which may not be that big advantage but is definitely 5 points for sure. Then look at men's final where it was 2 point win for SDSU which factors in who wins the tournament.

Even College hockey have not let us have home court advantage in Regionals making it more difficult for us to have regional close to us instead they have moved regional around to different locations. This has been even at cost of reduced revenues to NCAA hockey tournament returns. This i think this has to be considered for Summit Conference too because their other venues around conference to show case and build region wide following of fans and schools in this conference. Look Denver has venues, so does the Twin Cities, Kansas City, and Tulsa to host a conference tournament. This does not mention even Fargo and Us have facilities that could host conference tournament.  I would appreciate other opinions on this but I watched the tournament when over 85% of seats were either dressed in Blue or Red for the games I find this not appealing format. Then you add in media color definitely shaded to these schools up until the championship game it makes me bristle. I got to believe new commissioner for the Summit has work cut out for him on conference tournament and getting schools on same media platform for the conference and then retaining member schools in the future and all this is tied together. 

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I have something i think needs to be talked about that is Summit conference tournament and basically is it fair to other 8 schools that game is basically played on South Dakota home quart for both the South Dakota schools. Yes, the crowd draw is tremendous and i am sure it provides additional monies back to majority of conference members. The negative is this promotes the two South Dakota Schools basketball programs in that they have large advantage in recruiting talent. I am sure they show how they get to play in front of large crowds of their fans to prospective recruits. These advantages have help build these programs to where they are far way deeper in talent than most of the other schools in the conference. 

The above advantages that come to South Dakota schools makes it very difficult for other schools in conference to build their programs and compete to get to NCAA tournament. This does not mean it can't be achieved but it makes it hard to build a program that has year in year out success with the advantage these schools have. I also got to believe it's why we hear how number of the schools in conference are looking to other conferences to compete in. Even our newest conference member there're rumors they are only going to use Summit as stepping stone to get to a desired conference for them. I just got done watching tournament on both sides of tournament for men and women the South Dakota schools were basically playing at home . This playing at home usually has always meant about 10 point advantage which may not be that big advantage but is definitely 5 points for sure. Then look at men's final where it was 2 point win for SDSU which factors in who wins the tournament.

Even College hockey have not let us have home court advantage in Regionals making it more difficult for us to have regional close to us instead they have moved regional around to different locations. This has been even at cost of reduced revenues to NCAA hockey tournament returns. This i think this has to be considered for Summit Conference too because their other venues around conference to show case and build region wide following of fans and schools in this conference. Look Denver has venues, so does the Twin Cities, Kansas City, and Tulsa to host a conference tournament. This does not mention even Fargo and Us have facilities that could host conference tournament.  I would appreciate other opinions on this but I watched the tournament when over 85% of seats were either dressed in Blue or Red for the games I find this not appealing format. Then you add in media color definitely shaded to these schools up until the championship game it makes me bristle. I got to believe new commissioner for the Summit has work cut out for him on conference tournament and getting schools on same media platform for the conference and then retaining member schools in the future and all this is tied together. 

I agree 100% with this and was thinking the same thing.  I get they put on a good tournament and better revenue.  But at what cost ?  To give advantage to two schools that the rest of the league has to compete against ?  Having a home court advantage every year to get to the big dance is a huge advantage in recruiting.   I think all summit teams should have the same advantage even if it is to the detriment of more income .   NDSU usually has a big following and I seen very few NDSU colors watching the game last night.  This tells me that their fans were not able to get tickets .  SDSU fans swallow them up a year in advance . Yes anyone can but with the advantage in recruiting they have a good chance their team will be in the finals.  I'm tired of seeing it too 

• Like 1

Since somebody brought it up tournament for Big Sky moving to Reno with small crowds made it also poor crowd and not very big experience but the Big Sky was such spread out conference it was going to be difficult for the fan bases to travel that far even for Reno. Second thing it was always durning the Spring Break for colleges and students were not going to travel to Reno they were looking for some place warm. I liked it before when women won Big Sky and they hosted the tournament on their home floor. I liked this because it gave real incentive to win the conference and you got big reward in doing so by hosting. This also gave big advantage to winner of the conference which i felt was deserved for playing whole season. Second the conference tournament was well attended and i guess this could be foiled if conference champ lost early in the tournament but I don't remember that happening when we were doing that in the conference. I believed this was fair because every conference member had equal chance in having advantage for the conference tournament by winning regular season in the conference. The way it is now these two schools its built into for them even if they have below average season they are still going to draw large fan following but for other schools to get equality has to beat them in the early rounds to meet one of the other seven schools. I see its nice show case midmajor tournament with big fan draw but i still have problem in that sets up disparity in conference between the schools for the conference. I am sure there are other points of view and good reasons for present structure but this is how i see it now and i don't like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

I agree 100% with this and was thinking the same thing.  I get they put on a good tournament and better revenue.  But at what cost ?  To give advantage to two schools that the rest of the league has to compete against ?  Having a home court advantage every year to get to the big dance is a huge advantage in recruiting.   I think all summit teams should have the same advantage even if it is to the detriment of more income .   NDSU usually has a big following and I seen very few NDSU colors watching the game last night.  This tells me that their fans were not able to get tickets .  SDSU fans swallow them up a year in advance . Yes anyone can but with the advantage in recruiting they have a good chance their team will be in the finals.  I'm tired of seeing it too 

There were still tickets available for the game last night. It was not a sellout. The bison basketball following is not like their football following. The fans that wanted to go were there. 

not saying it CAN'T be in sioux falls....if usd or sdac want to "reserve" the denny as their preferred court IF they win the summit go for it...

same thing for ndac....reserve scheels or the dome

same ting for und ralp or al

kc-verizon center downtown...

I dont know if anyone is Watching the class A championship but UND needs to offer both those 8th grades from Minot a scholarship now !!  Not that I don't like all the Michigan girls but we need to keep the good talent here in the state too !  Those girls are going to be good! 

7 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I dont know if anyone is Watching the class A championship but UND needs to offer both those 8th grades from Minot a scholarship now !!  Not that I don't like all the Michigan girls but we need to keep the good talent here in the state too !  Those girls are going to be good! 

Watching 

the six footer especially 

both are very good 

• Upvote 2

On 3/9/2022 at 4:05 PM, ND-fan said:

Isn't the other advantage that those who attend get first dibs to renew their tickets every year so the SD fans have the best seats locked in every year. Make everyone get their tickets every year to level the playing field.

2 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

The Kinnebrew girl will be a very good college player as well.  Some very good basketball played in that game

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, CMSioux said:

Isn't the other advantage that those who attend get first dibs to renew their tickets every year so the SD fans have the best seats locked in every year. Make everyone get their tickets every year to level the playing field.

Those policies ended this year.  Going forward everyone has an equal shot, and each school gets an allotment anyway.  If you want to sit in the lower bowl, you have multiple opportunities to do so.  If you want great seats, you have an opportunity to do so. (just get them when they are first released).  I didn't have all-conference passes, but still sat in the lower bowl for every game.  How?  I just bought tickets the day of the game through USD.  They bought unused allotment tickets from other schools.  For one game I was standing in line at the box office to buy tickets when a Premier Center staff walked up to me (and everyone else in line) to hand out free lower bowl tickets from unused allotments.

You want to level the playing field?  Buy tickets.  have your AD bus your student section down there, and promote the tickets with travel packages, or something.  Host an alumni hospitality room.  USD's AD has bent over backwards to get our fans there, and we are just finally seeing the results of it gradually over the last few years.  I get it that Jacks and Yote fans don't have to travel far, so there is a convenience factor.  But now that their exclusionary practices (like 2-year passes) are gone, what would be a better location to host?  Minneapolis and Omaha don't care about the Summit. 

Having season champs host is fine for low-major conferences and non-revenue sports.  I'd like to think we are better than that at this point.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Those policies ended this year.  Going forward everyone has an equal shot, and each school gets an allotment anyway.  If you want to sit in the lower bowl, you have multiple opportunities to do so.  If you want great seats, you have an opportunity to do so. (just get them when they are first released).  I didn't have all-conference passes, but still sat in the lower bowl for every game.  How?  I just bought tickets the day of the game through USD.  They bought unused allotment tickets from other schools.  For one game I was standing in line at the box office to buy tickets when a Premier Center staff walked up to me (and everyone else in line) to hand out free lower bowl tickets from unused allotments.

You want to level the playing field?  Buy tickets.  have your AD bus your student section down there, and promote the tickets with travel packages, or something.  Host an alumni hospitality room.  USD's AD has bent over backwards to get our fans there, and we are just finally seeing the results of it gradually over the last few years.  I get it that Jacks and Yote fans don't have to travel far, so there is a convenience factor.  But now that their exclusionary practices (like 2-year passes) are gone, what would be a better location to host?  Minneapolis and Omaha don't care about the Summit. 

Having season champs host is fine for low-major conferences and non-revenue sports.  I'd like to think we are better than that at this point.

I can say that UND does at least that in bolded.

UND also need to haul their BAND down there as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I can say that UND does at least that in bolded.

UND also need to haul their BAND down there as well. 

I know SF isn't Las Vegas, but the tournament itself is a lot of fun, especially if you can sit with and party with your own fans.  Don't take my previous comments as scolding or anything.  I want to see more green down here to help us drown out all the blue.

Coyote fans have been upset with the exclusionary seating practices in the past, too.  Mainly because the Jacks fans were on that train early and often.  But now that things have opened up, opportunity-wise, we all need to get to the tournament to make it a little more representative of the conference. 

You will still always have a majority of blue fans, but that is just because they have taken the initiative.  They have a lot of pride in their support of the tournament, and there's nothing wrong with that.  We just need to get a little more balance in there to temper the enthusiasm, and calm down the blue-birds.

I doubt we will ever get many fans from Denver, Western or KC, but that would be true anywhere.  UND and NDSU (and Omaha) all have the potential to build up a contingent at the SLT, and I'm all for it.

So come on down.  I'll buy you a $9.00 Coors Light.

Complaining about the Summit Tourney location is a stupid crybaby argument, especially with the ticket policies changing.  People literally want to move the tournament to a different location because it is too successful.  This is also one of the main sources of revenue for the conference and the attendance here is impressive - it's something that can set the Summit apart from other conferences as the league hopefully continues to grow and improve.  Were people complaining about the Red Barron Final Five in hockey because it was in the Gophers back yard?  NO!  The tournament was embraced and people were happy to travel there, and the tournament built upon itself until it became iconic.  Pretty much any other potential would either be a further drive for most schools or be closer to a different campus.  Would people be OK with a the Target Center being the venue if St. Thomas didn't show up like the Dakota schools and the attendance sucks?  Because I'm not sure something like that is better, and I don't see how it would help with league wide recruiting or the general fan experience, either.  If the Frozen Faceoff was in Sioux Falls, UND would sell the place out, so there's no reason for us to complain about a supposedly unfair location when we all know that UND has the ability to make our presence felt there.  Moving forward, with the ticket policy change, if there is a lack of support for UND or NDSU or Omaha there, that's on our fan bases... it won't be the Dakota schools fault if we don't show up.. it will be our own.  Most of the schools in our conference should be happy that the SD schools prop up our conf tournament, because most of the schools have a tough time drawing a thousand fans to home games!

About the bands, and if I was commissioner, I'd require every school to bring it's band, ads a ton to the atmosphere of the games, and if schools don't bring one, they should pay a fine, IMO, and they sure as hell shouldn't complain about the tournament feeling like an away game if they can't at least invest enough in the tournament to do that, and the ticket sales SD fans generate more than covers that expense.

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:05 PM, ND-fan said:

UND hosted a regional in the exact same arena the Summit Tournament is in, and we nearly sold it out before we even knew for sure UND would make the tournament and play there!  UND fans have no room to complain about this... as a fan base, we have shown the ability to show up in huge numbers at venue's much further away than this, so complaining about other schools actually attending games while we hardly support our team IN Grand Forks is just sour grapes.  It's our fault, not theirs, and we benefit as members of the Summit League, which pulls in hundreds of thousands in revenue from this tournament. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kiyoat said:

Good to know. I will admit I have not looked at tickets the past few years because UND has not been a major player (also COVID). But in the future I can see making a weekend out of it regardless and hoping UND puts together teams that are playing past the first day. 

• Upvote 1