SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

5-1 down the stretch should be the minimum expectation.

This is very plausible.  The 4 road games they won last year are the 4 they have left.

They swept KC and ORU at home, ORU will be tough but not to say they couldn't pull that one off as well.

Have to start somewhere, take down a plucky Denver team in Denver. 

5 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree we could use a bit more size (it certainly did not help shed Olivia Lane transferred) but at same time our two home wins over bigger teams NDSU and USC were because we were faster, quicker, and more athletic than them. 

Size will be nice but it has to be size that can fit the system.  We need another tall girl who is athletic, lanky, and can run.

I agree with you it has to be athletic players like in mold of Evans in NDSU or Myer from SdSU that can run the floor and can play defense.  I would think Beal should see that she is line to get significant playing time next year and her potential will be limited to herself she already has shown she can play defense and be able create scoring for self down low in second chance opportunities. The next part of her game is learning to develop outside shooting consistency and to be able to make tough shot while being heavily guarded. I truely  believe that she can make that next step but she is going to need patience in achieving that goal. But getting back to recruiting we need to start recruiting players with length if we want to make the next jump in women’s basketball. Aron Johnson at SDSU is doing that now because if want to win and have chance advancing in NCAA tournament this type of team you need and should I say also quick and fast point guards which he appears he has at least 3 of them on the roster. If we’re going to finish in top of the conference we need to sweep this road trip. Then we need to also sweep our next home stand. If we sweep next weekend we should over come USD in standings by a game. Then the falling weekend if we sweep and NDSU also beats ORU we should be a game up on ORU. This will leave us with our last road trip and winnable road trip and with ORU and USD behind us a game  with final week end playing each other and ORU with game against SDSU.  The key we have come to crunch time in conference play and we have not left ourselves much wiggle room to get to number 3. I would like for us to.finish up 3 to be opposite SDSU for the conference tournament. I may be missing something but this is scenario we need to have chance to reach conference championship game. This would also be big boost for recruiting and retaining players.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:47 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

I think by next year all the COVID kids will be gone.  Kacie still has her COVID year to use. 

I hope she comes back. She’s a glue type player. I’ve enjoyed watching her play for UND. 

16 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I agree with you it has to be athletic players like in mold of Evans in NDSU or Myer from SdSU that can run the floor and can play defense.  I would think Beal should see that she is line to get significant playing time next year and her potential will be limited to herself she already has shown she can play defense and be able create scoring for self down low in second chance opportunities. The next part of her game is learning to develop outside shooting consistency and to be able to make tough shot while being heavily guarded. I truely  believe that she can make that next step but she is going to need patience in achieving that goal. But getting back to recruiting we need to start recruiting players with length if we want to make the next jump in women’s basketball. Aron Johnson at SDSU is doing that now because if want to win and have chance advancing in NCAA tournament this type of team you need and should I say also quick and fast point guards which he appears he has at least 3 of them on the roster. If we’re going to finish in top of the conference we need to sweep this road trip. Then we need to also sweep our next home stand. If we sweep next weekend we should over come USD in standings by a game. Then the falling weekend if we sweep and NDSU also beats ORU we should be a game up on ORU. This will leave us with our last road trip and winnable road trip and with ORU and USD behind us a game  with final week end playing each other and ORU with game against SDSU.  The key we have come to crunch time in conference play and we have not left ourselves much wiggle room to get to number 3. I would like for us to.finish up 3 to be opposite SDSU for the conference tournament. I may be missing something but this is scenario we need to have chance to reach conference championship game. This would also be big boost for recruiting and retaining players.

I don't think you are missing anything.  UND needs to win out and get a little help to get the 3.

It is a tricky road trip coming up because DU and Omaha aren't the bottom feeders they once where, they are playing with confidence. Omahas coach should get some serious consideration for COY in my mind.  However, it is one that UND needs to win at.

15 hours ago, Goon said:

I hope she comes back. She’s a glue type player. I’ve enjoyed watching her play for UND. 

I mainly follow the men's team but started watching/going to more of the women's games this year.

Something I noticed with Kacie is that when she struggles to score it seems like it is because she is always trying to draw a foul or worries too much about trying to draw that foul, than just worrying about making the shot. And then she is always asking the refs how it wasn't a foul. Is that something she has always done??

I feel like she would be a lot more efficient if she just worried about making the shot instead of trying to draw a foul and then complain when no foul is called. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I mainly follow the men's team but started watching/going to more of the women's games this year.

Something I noticed with Kacie is that when she struggles to score it seems like it is because she is always trying to draw a foul or worries too much about trying to draw that foul, than just worrying about making the shot. And then she is always asking the refs how it wasn't a foul. Is that something she has always done??

I feel like she would be a lot more efficient if she just worried about making the shot instead of trying to draw a foul and then complain when no foul is called. 

She's done it more this year but not nearly as much as Heaven Hamling at NDSU.  Kacie's supporting cast is much better this year, to bail her out when she's in a funk, ala Claire is Pippen to Kacie's MJ. Fun team to watch at home. Gotta find ways to manufacture a chip on their shoulder on the road to inspire them when the crowd is against them.

• Upvote 1

Swsiouxmn you’re so right, which I didn’t think possible just a few days ago. If they win out they would have good chance for second. Omaha is going to be good test for us tomorrow. NDSU is going to have hard time in Denver it always tough road trip. If NDSU would loose in Denver we could be tied for second in the Summit and ideally would be Western Illinois pulling upset over ORU. This would set us up for big week next week in Grand Forks.

22 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Swsiouxmn you’re so right, which I didn’t think possible just a few days ago. If they win out they would have good chance for second. Omaha is going to be good test for us tomorrow. NDSU is going to have hard time in Denver it always tough road trip. If NDSU would loose in Denver we could be tied for second in the Summit and ideally would be Western Illinois pulling upset over ORU. This would set us up for big week next week in Grand Forks.

I don't know if UND is going to be the help they need today, but they just need to take care of business in Omaha today.  The Mavs are feeling really good about themselves.

The good thing about what happened in Denver was that UND was able to give some regulars some rest, so they should be good to go today.

• Like 1