SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, Parkers Pros said:

31-35 SDSU at the half. Rebounding, fouls big story why UND trails.  SDSU doing a good job keeping Kacie B in check.

Other have stepped up in the scoring.  They need to keep SDSU off of the boards and off the line and hope they stay cold from 3.

UND needs to hit some 3s in this quarter. 

SDSU is just too big for us to match up well.  Refs let the physicality go in the paint and didn’t make one 3 second call all game - and not for a lack of opportunities.  That was definitely not in our favor.  Kacie worked hard but ran into one 6’1 bunny after another and didn’t get an open look anywhere.  Same story outside.  Just too big to get a good look.  Bright spot was Hurst.  Physical enough to match SDSU and she hustled on defense.  If she continues to get better defensively she is going to be a force.  Still can’t figure out the limited minutes for Beal.  She is too long and athletic not to have on the floor…

Beal is freshman and she needs to work on her offense especially her shot. Her time is coming if she continues to improve. I have been happy with these younger players getting playing time I still think they should had more earlier. Loosing Lane last year really hurt the potential of this team. I was hoping they would have brought in portal player to replace her we needed one experienced player who was legit number 5. Every time we come up against team that is deep with length we have struggled and look at teams ahead of us four of them fill this bill. That is why I think we will have hard time getting seeded higher than fourth and more likely 5.  I was looking at next years recruits they are listed as guards but two of them are listed at 6 feet and third one is listed 5’8”. I also think we should have at least 2 more and could have additional if some of our seniors don’t come back and use their COVID year. With our remaining scholarships I hope we can find couple 4 or 5  to help us get a little bigger. I wouldn’t be surprised if they redshirt Jardine next year to help her develop she has size that could become quality post player and she would be trading development year for best year. My hope is they can find at least one experienced post player to play with kacie where they can make run for the conference. Next year will be pretty much end of the COVID extra year players. SDSU, if look at this team this team would look completely different without extra COVID year they would still be good but not this deep and experienced. They would not have Selland, Burkhard, and Gylten three starters off this team and Nelson and Thiesen would be seniors this year.  The COVID eligibility extra year has helped several teams this year and will be big factor next year. This years team is good team but their Achilles heal is they are undersized and they need to play nearly perfect game to win against another good team especially on the road. We just need to continue to recruit and hopefully can build roster that will be competitive and be able to be conference champ.

I’m just hoping that Beal will be here with the limited court time she is seeing.  Hurst is working much harder on d and seeing the Court better every game.  She will be a force.  I think Beal has that potential based on sheer athleticism but she hasn’t seen very much playing time…. We could certainly use her length and speed at times…

13 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

I’m just hoping that Beal will be here with the limited court time she is seeing.  Hurst is working much harder on d and seeing the Court better every game.  She will be a force.  I think Beal has that potential based on sheer athleticism but she hasn’t seen very much playing time…. We could certainly use her length and speed at times…

With Orth and Daninger graduating, there will be space available for her. I would love for her to turn into an elite 3 and D player at the very least. 

I agree with Hurst on the defense, she has grown a lot.

Agreed but watching her on the floor there is no reason she should not have more minutes.  She is a spark every time she is on the floor.  Don’t give her a reason to think about the portal.  Coaching has unfortunately taken on a new element with high level entry player and we need to adapt with it…

11 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We had six in double figures in the win over South Dakota today - encouraging 

UND got contributions up and down the lineup today.  Gordon was awesome, going 15 and 11.  Mason and Hurst were big off of the bench. Daninger made her shots count today.  Orth provided her usual.  Beal was a pest in the 4th quarter.  Kacie saved her best for the 4th after a rough 3 quarters.

They need to win these two on the road next week.  This is THE important roadtrip of the season.  80 minutes of great play is needed.  They can do it.  They know they can do it. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, NewUndFan said:

They are so much bigger than we are.  I don't know why Mal doesn't recruit some size. Next years recruits too all short.  Just won't do it 

Agree we could use a bit more size (it certainly did not help shed Olivia Lane transferred) but at same time our two home wins over bigger teams NDSU and USC were because we were faster, quicker, and more athletic than them.