SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the MBB Program

UND Alum

Will we be better next season? Hard not to be better but can/will sather turn this around? Or will we be discussing injuries and players leaving again at this time next year

should add that I realize this is reality these days - I don’t know how to handle but hopefully we get some good luck next year to make up for all our bad luck this year

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Will we be better next season? Hard not to be better but can/will sather turn this around? Or will we be discussing injuries and players leaving again at this time next year

I need to see what they add but yes, they will be better.

I hope for a similar situation that happened to the women last year and they take steps forward. 

I don't think UND will be hit as hard with players leaving. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I need to see what they add but yes, they will be better.

I hope for a similar situation that happened to the women last year and they take steps forward. 

I don't think UND will be hit as hard with players leaving. 

I totally agree with this.  Portal really screwed us this year.  Every team deals with injury but the combo really sucks.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Future of the MBB Program

In todays athletic climate Is an athletic dept better using resources:

1) to find businesses donate money to turn average facilities better

2) find businesses to throw money at NIL deals?  

which one is more attractive to todays college athlete? 

19 hours ago, gfhockey said:

The ball teams combined have same number of alumni with hockey

hocmey alumni paid for locker room

have chaves do some fundraising for ball

Let’s compare hockey pro wages to bb pro wages and see who should be paying for facility upgrades, not a good comparison

a good alumni donates to many parts of the university, not just their sport or college of study 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just to be clear, the Engelstad Foundation or the REA Foundation?  They often get confused.

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Engelstad Foundation.

Yeah I found it yesterday after @iluvdebbies first mentioned it.  It's in the 2014 990. 

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/806008137/2015_11_PF%2F80-6008137_990PF_201412

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Norgesmester said:

As a former Fighting Sioux player I feel compelled to get in on this thread. Recently was in GF for a b-ball reunion and was able to attend practice and meet Coach Sather. Great guy and Coach. His guys love him and play hard for him. All of us old timers agree he is the right man for the job. My question is what happened to the loud student body that gave us a tremendous home court advantage at the Hyslop? We averaged over 5,000 fans a game. The sparse Betty crowd sounds like a tennis match. Go Sioux!

Kept loosing and we lost the crowd

Win and they will come

18 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Kept loosing and we lost the crowd

Win and they will come

That's part of it, but there is way more that just that.

When I was there at UND during the Huff group and the beginning of the Hooker Era, the crowds weren't that obnoxious outside of a few games. 

The FB team coming and the priority ticket line during Saturday hockey games helped (do they still do that?).  However, there wasn't a majorly organized effort.

57 minutes ago, Norgesmester said:

As a former Fighting Sioux player I feel compelled to get in on this thread. Recently was in GF for a b-ball reunion and was able to attend practice and meet Coach Sather. Great guy and Coach. His guys love him and play hard for him. All of us old timers agree he is the right man for the job. My question is what happened to the loud student body that gave us a tremendous home court advantage at the Hyslop? We averaged over 5,000 fans a game. The sparse Betty crowd sounds like a tennis match. Go Sioux!

As a former player, I would like to hear your thoughts/insight on the current state of the program and the roster.  

Yes it is frustrating, but if you are really a fan you would understand that the off season was one of the worst for losing players for various reasons and not just knee-jerky about this season. We have the right coach for building it back.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

That's part of it, but there is way more that just that.

When I was there at UND during the Huff group and the beginning of the Hooker Era, the crowds weren't that obnoxious outside of a few games. 

The FB team coming and the priority ticket line during Saturday hockey games helped (do they still do that?).  However, there wasn't a majorly organized effort.

No alumni liked jones. He was personable

Yes i would like to know the reason we have so little student fans at the basketball games today has college changed that much over years. When i was in college we looked forward to things to go to at college in middle of winter to get out of dorms or apartments and going to college game was free for college student. Usually there was chance to meet friends or acquaintances and now today you can get a beer if you can afford it. Usually we went as group to game as a social outing and following the game went somewhere else to socialize. Without the football team there aren't that many college students at the game considering university has 12000 students even if 10% showed up the betty with regular crowd would be close to full. Is it lack of university not promoting the games or something else in not  bringing out a crowd to the Betty like parking, transportation, scheduling, or the cost to go to the game i am just asking because we should have much better attendance than we have been. 

Used to be you had players commit and show up as freshman. You expected to watch them mature over the next four years. There was some identity and some normalcy. Now it is more like a professional team that you have a few holdovers and a bunch of free agents 

no identity no loyalty no fans

I feel like going back to double headers would help the crowd. I get that gets to be a long night but it also cuts down the amount of times you have games to go to. I think around the country attendance is lacking in a lot of sports. I don’t get how we can’t have a packed student section. The bleachers aren’t even that big. 

• Upvote 3