SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the MBB Program

UND Alum

• 1 year later...

Just curious... what do ya all think we could draw for a game vs the Gophers at the REA in basketball?  (I know it's impossible to get P5's to play off campus.) 

Also, could it potentially be worth it financially for the REA to host a tournament like they do down in Sioux Falls?  How is Sioux Falls able to afford getting teams to go there?  Is the facility losing money but putting those games on to promote the venue or are there major sponsors like Sanford involved?

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports/college/perennial-no-1s-baylor-gonzaga-to-meet-for-college-basketball-showdown-in-sioux-falls-in-december

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Just curious... what do ya all think we could draw for a game vs the Gophers at the REA in basketball?  (I know it's impossible to get P5's to play off campus.) 

Also, could it potentially be worth it financially for the REA to host a tournament like they do down in Sioux Falls?  How is Sioux Falls able to afford getting teams to go there?  Is the facility losing money but putting those games on to promote the venue or are there major sponsors like Sanford involved?

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/sports/college/perennial-no-1s-baylor-gonzaga-to-meet-for-college-basketball-showdown-in-sioux-falls-in-december

I wonder if the Pentagon or Sioux Falls Sports Authority actually makes any money on these games.. you would assume they would have to, but it has to take quite a bit of money to get these teams there and then to only be able to sell 3-4K tickets for the game. 

REA could do that but would Grand Forks and surrounding areas sell out the Ralph to watch Baylor v. Gonzaga for hoops? I would hope they could but I'm not sure.

In dream land if UND could land the Goophs at the Ralph, that would be an awesome atmosphere, which is exactly why they would never do it!

I also don't think the UND athletic department would ever look at it with the scheduling and staff strain it would put on REA and UND during hockey season. Would be awesome to see, however.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SD UND said:

I also don't think the UND athletic department would ever look at it with the scheduling and staff strain it would put on REA and UND during hockey season. 

Right or wrong, this would be the biggest hurdle. The facility is used for a lot more than just hockey games, interrupting that for a good chunk of a week would be an issue. Wonder if they couldn't find some happy medium like a holiday tournament of sorts when it would be less invasive.

I know that the REA is always looking at ways to maximize the facility and revenue for it.

i always said back in the day (sioux days)....have an annual 4 team basketball tourney at the ralph with schools with indian nicknames....all funds (or most) go to indian health measures and kids from any reservation get in free.

und sioux versus central michigan chippewas

utah utes versus florida state seminoles

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Right or wrong, this would be the biggest hurdle. The facility is used for a lot more than just hockey games, interrupting that for a good chunk of a week would be an issue. Wonder if they couldn't find some happy medium like a holiday tournament of sorts when it would be less invasive.

I know that the REA is always looking at ways to maximize the facility and revenue for it.

Yeah, I was just thinking about it and before getting to the logistics of it.  I was thinking about whether or not it could be profitable even if there were no avalability/staffing issues etc.  I was thinking about whether or not something like a 3 for 1 scheduling agreement would be worth it from a financial standpoint, assuming a payout for a money game would be like 75K (x3)... was thinking about how much revenue the REA could generate for a marquee basketball game, let alone the realities of scheduling and the stuff you mentioned.  Just thinking strictly of the revenue potential, with the assumptions that a game could be scheduled and the facility would be available - hard consider those (legitimate) factors without first knowing what the revenue side would look like.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah, I was just thinking about it and before getting to the logistics of it.  I was thinking about whether or not it could be profitable even if there were no avalability/staffing issues etc.  I was thinking about whether or not something like a 3 for 1 scheduling agreement would be worth it from a financial standpoint, assuming a payout for a money game would be like 75K (x3)... was thinking about how much revenue the REA could generate for a marquee basketball game, let alone the realities of scheduling and the stuff you mentioned.  Just thinking strictly of the revenue potential, with the assumptions that a game could be scheduled and the facility would be available - hard consider those (legitimate) factors without first knowing what the revenue side would look like.  

3-1 4-1....whatever it takes but get a big name to come here...