SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the MBB Program

UND Alum

22 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I feel like going back to double headers would help the crowd. I get that gets to be a long night but it also cuts down the amount of times you have games to go to. I think around the country attendance is lacking in a lot of sports. I don’t get how we can’t have a packed student section. The bleachers aren’t even that big. 

Students are to used to not having to do things, give me something free and maybe I will go attitude 

i get if you have a job and other commitments

we used to plan things around home games

many years ago

attended in one afternoon and night

swimming, gymnastics, wrestling , basketball and hockey, some overlapped but a good way to spend the day 

many of those sports are gone now

9 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Also use to have a lot of locals on the team. Where someone would know someone’s boy playing on the team

Agree, there is no local connection to the team.  That may change in the next year or two with some local talent in the area

18 hours ago, ND1 said:

Agree, there is no local connection to the team.  That may change in the next year or two with some local talent in the area

Yeah I mean there hasn’t been a whole lot of D1 local talent as of late. Would have been nice to land Grant Nelson or Skunberg. Hurlburt twins are are going P5. Eaglestaff will be huge. 

30 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah I mean there hasn’t been a whole lot of D1 local talent as of late. Would have been nice to land Grant Nelson or Skunberg. Hurlburt twins are are going P5. Eaglestaff will be huge. 

We did have Aanen Moody and Desean Eikens  :)  Looks like Aanen is having a decent year with Southern Utah this year.  I know he might have had his issues, but still would have been nice to have a local kid that can shoot on the roster.    I am looking forward to seeing Eaglestaff in a uniform next year! 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Where’s Nelson skunberg going? Also where’s hurlburts going

15 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

At the recent Red River/Davies bb game, the entire coaching staff was there watching Klabo from Davies and Kraft from RR

After watching the last few games, I'm back on board the Sather fan club.  It's impressive how much better the team looks to have gotten as the season has progressed, and I really like his recruit, in Freshman Reid Grant, who looks to be a legit point guard.  I didn't think he recruited one, but I was wrong.  Going into next year, If we can keep Bruns and Grant, and with Eaglestaff coming in, I think we will be much improved and will be trending in the right direction.  I think Eaglestaff will be a glue guy who may help to keep the team together, as well, and his work ethic will rub off.  Despite our record, I'm excited to watch the team play.  And the teams effort in the Omaha game was impressive, considering the let down vs Denver.  I feel like most teams under similar circumstances would have completely fallen apart by now.

I really hope Sather stays away from Juco's and transfers moving forward, with exception to maybe one guy a year.  With so many schools going after transfers, I think there will be a lot more higher end high school talent that is available to us, which we otherwise may not have gotten, if not for the portal.  Given the major contributions that we have seen recently from freshman, it's clear that younger guys can come in to this league and contribute right away.

• Upvote 1

I liked what Dosch   said about transfers going to other schools without doing much research during the broadcast of the last game. I was actually surprised how many of them don’t get scholarship offers.

I think this may slow down a bit.

Do any of the seniors leave this year, it will be nice when the Covid players actually are done so teams can move on.

9 minutes ago, Kab said:

I liked what Dosch   said about transfers going to other schools without doing much research during the broadcast of the last game. I was actually surprised how many of them don’t get scholarship offers.

I think this may slow down a bit.

Do any of the seniors leave this year, it will be nice when the Covid players actually are done so teams can move on.

Panoam is done after this year.

Igbanugo and Sueker can still use their extra year. 

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

After watching the last few games, I'm back on board the Sather fan club.  It's impressive how much better the team looks to have gotten as the season has progressed, and I really like his recruit, in Freshman Reid Grant, who looks to be a legit point guard.  I didn't think he recruited one, but I was wrong.  Going into next year, If we can keep Bruns and Grant, and with Eaglestaff coming in, I think we will be much improved and will be trending in the right direction.  I think Eaglestaff will be a glue guy who may help to keep the team together, as well, and his work ethic will rub off.  Despite our record, I'm excited to watch the team play.  And the teams effort in the Omaha game was impressive, considering the let down vs Denver.  I feel like most teams under similar circumstances would have completely fallen apart by now.

I really hope Sather stays away from Juco's and transfers moving forward, with exception to maybe one guy a year.  With so many schools going after transfers, I think there will be a lot more higher end high school talent that is available to us, which we otherwise may not have gotten, if not for the portal.  Given the major contributions that we have seen recently from freshman, it's clear that younger guys can come in to this league and contribute right away.

I’m not completely against JUCOs especially if it’s similar to Levias where they come in as a freshman. There’s a couple JUCO kids that I have my eyes on on Twitter. No offers that I know of from UND. I believe the only known offer still out there is to Omot with only 1 scholarship available at this time. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I can understand why the staff went the way they did with the JUCOs this year.  They haven't been too bad and have shown some potential (I think an offseason of developments will do wonders with T and Norman) and actually see Levias on the court (he had good numbers in his first season of JUCO).  This also helped to balance out the classes a little bit as well.  You don't want to overload too much on one class if you can't help it. 

I think Sather's preference is to build with HS, and I would expect a return to that with a sprinkle of transfers. IF.... UND can avoid another mass transfer issue. 

• Upvote 2

How do we get UND to be consistently in the conversation for the Summit League championship? 

I think we have a decent facility but we really struggle to get people to attend games. That could be because we obviously have struggled this year and Covid hesitation but still we should draw more than we do. Going to the Summit was supposed to give us familiar opponents that would help crowds. 

I truly think we have the right coach too. People have ridiculed him for the lack of talent he’s brought in but I disagree with that. He’s brought in some really good players, keeping them is another topic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, nodak651 said:

Pardon my French but what the **** are you talking about? This team is absolutely terrible. There are no excuses at this point.