SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the MBB Program

UND Alum

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Or was it a choice?
Doubling Wilson means some other bunny is running loose to shoot from the perimeter. 

You are correct, kind of.

There are different ways to do it, you can double on the catch and rotate on the back side or double/dig on first dribble and recover and close out on the play side. Should always be able to at least close out and somewhat contest a 3. And I’ll take my chances on a 40% look missing rather than give up a 100% look repeatedly. When the team is that much more talented than you, you gotta live with them making jumpers.

48 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

The way that they shoot the 3, would you rather give up a 2 or a 3?  Pick your poison.  IMO, that's not poor coaching.

You have to double team someone like Wilson and take your chances on knocking down 3's.  Layups have a better percentage any day.  We dont have big bodies to guard down  low and we need to double team.  The home game against South Dakota our point guard got switched many times and was guarding their 6'10 center.  Easy points we are not in a position to give up that many easy points in the paint.   I still wish he would try playing Matthews and T  at the same.  Cant be any worse and would give us two big bodies.  At this point in the season I would be trying all different sorts of line ups.  But we lack ALOT of size to every other team.   

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

It is for some sports.  Let's try to get it that way for others.

The Ralph has about 4+ million in it's capital improvements account.  With a recently updated players area and a new scoreboard, it would be nice to see that money go towards a practice facility on the north side of the Betty, which would help.  It's in the Athletics Master plan at least, but there wasn't any mention of a new scoreboard being needed in the Ralph, so who knows what the next project is.  Highly doubt that money goes towards anything football related, so if it isn't hockey, the Betty would make sense.  How do the locker rooms and athlete facilities in the Betty compare to other Summit schools?  

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The Ralph has about 4+ million in it's capital improvements account.  With a recently updated players area and a new scoreboard, it would be nice to see that money go towards a practice facility on the north side of the Betty, which would help.  It's in the Athletics Master plan at least, but there wasn't any mention of a new scoreboard being needed in the Ralph, so who knows what the next project is.  Highly doubt that money goes towards anything football related, so if it isn't hockey, the Betty would make sense.  How do the locker rooms and athlete facilities in the Betty compare to other Summit schools?  

Or UND should build, operate, and own a separate basketball facility 

For me Sather easily gets two more years.  As far as facilities goes, I agree UND needs to put some money into Basketball to get back to the top of the league.  But, I think that is after the Phase II is built.

- USD - new

- Omaha - new

- NDSU - recent facilities updates

- SDSU - being built

- ORU - being built

- DU/UND - I assume OK on par with UND.

- STU - planning stage

- WIU - UND much better

- UMKC - UND much better

So, in three or four years, UND will be near the bottom of the league which is actually very impressive because UND has nice facilities.  The Summit League schools are investing in Basketball which is a good thing.  Note:  I have read that UMKC made facility promises to the MVC if they were selected.  So, do they still plan on moving forward with that or not.  I am not sure. 

32 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

FYI, I think they just finished paying for the Betty a year or two ago.  So, it not like the athletic department has not been investing in facilities for basketball.

48 minutes ago, FSSD said:

FYI, I think they just finished paying for the Betty a year or two ago.  So, it not like the athletic department has not been investing in facilities for basketball.

We can’t even come close to filling half the Betty. The Betty is in good condition e

We don’t need new

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

We can’t even come close to filling half the Betty. The Betty is in good condition e

We don’t need new

I agree we don’t need new. Would I have designed the Betty different? For sure. But it is a very nice facility. I really don’t get how we can’t consistently get 2k+ there. Wonder if they brought back double headers if that would help. 

57 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

49 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Yes.

Warning, rant ahead.. 

Would be amazing for the volleyball program if basketball moved out of the Betty - wouldn't have to compete for practice time there, and they could utilize the basketball space.  Could legit turn VB into a top program.

I legit think the Hyslop is better in it's current state than the Betty.  Probably was bluffing, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading recently that Kennedy threatened to pull basketball out of the Betty when he was trying to renegotiate the lease agreement with KEM.  

I understand that my Hyslop fantasy will never happen, but I can't get this similarity our of my head... see below pic.  Would UND basketball be in a better place if they took the 7 million the Betty cost and put it into the Hyslop instead?  I kinda feel like the Betty, built next to the much larger REA, diminishes the basketball program, as it sits almost literally in the shadow of the hockey program, and UND, as we have seen, lost a lot of the control it had over the direction of the basketball program when it was moved there,  as the usage agreement limits what UND can control when it comes to revenue/investment, facility operations, and marketing (floor design drama).  That said, I DO like the Betty, but the Hyslop with some chair back seating would be much easier to recruit to, IMO.  The Betty would also look and feel a hell of a lot better with larger risers at one or both of the ends, IMO. 

ImageCameron Celebrates Its 75th Birthday - Duke Basketball Report

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

The rule applies to all schools, not just North Dakota..........

So who do we get to steal from? It’s not like the Summit is the best conference in BB and is one of the worst. What conferences have less appeal than the Summit? I guess we could steal from D2 oh wait you all think that’s the level of talent we have now……..

Every player dreams of playing D1 ball in Grand Forks…….ok

On 1/28/2022 at 4:18 PM, nodak651 said:

Warning, rant ahead.. 

Would be amazing for the volleyball program if basketball moved out of the Betty - wouldn't have to compete for practice time there, and they could utilize the basketball space.  Could legit turn VB into a top program.

I legit think the Hyslop is better in it's current state than the Betty.  Probably was bluffing, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading recently that Kennedy threatened to pull basketball out of the Betty when he was trying to renegotiate the lease agreement with KEM.  

I understand that my Hyslop fantasy will never happen, but I can't get this similarity our of my head... see below pic.  Would UND basketball be in a better place if they took the 7 million the Betty cost and put it into the Hyslop instead?  I kinda feel like the Betty, built next to the much larger REA, diminishes the basketball program, as it sits almost literally in the shadow of the hockey program, and UND, as we have seen, lost a lot of the control it had over the direction of the basketball program when it was moved there,  as the usage agreement limits what UND can control when it comes to revenue/investment, facility operations, and marketing (floor design drama).  That said, I DO like the Betty, but the Hyslop with some chair back seating would be much easier to recruit to, IMO.  The Betty would also look and feel a hell of a lot better with larger risers at one or both of the ends, IMO. 

ImageCameron Celebrates Its 75th Birthday - Duke Basketball Report

This is where I went to watch games while at college. Loved the atmosphere. Lots of good memories. In the snake pit right behind the opponent bench. Having good teams helped. Don’t remember what it was exactly but while at UND we had like a 50 home game winning streak. 
Thanks  for sharing 

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So who do we get to steal from? It’s not like the Summit is the best conference in BB and is one of the worst. What conferences have less appeal than the Summit? I guess we could steal from D2 oh wait you all think that’s the level of talent we have now……..

Every player dreams of playing D1 ball in Grand Forks…….ok

Do you follow basketball at all?  or a hockey fan chiming in for basketball when they are doing bad?  Oral Roberts was a last second shot miss from making the elite eight in the NCAA tournament and they were the 3 seed in the league.  The summit league is a good league. No it is obviously not the best and nor will UND ever be in the best conference.  But it fits geographically and has alot of good schools in it.  Unlike hockey we will never compete for a national championship.  We will get our highs from winning the league and making a run in the tournament.  On the womens side they got a at large bid and sent two teams to the tournament.  SDSU made it to the sweet sixteen.   So to say the Summit is on the worst I disagree.  The summit is a good league and with a new commissioner I think we will only get better.  As far as living in Grand Forks do you think living in Vermillion or Brookings is better?   How do we recruit D1 hockey players to Grand Forks?    

• Upvote 1