SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ James Madison Sunday May 2nd 5:00 PM Central Quarterfinals

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Admittedly, they are pretty decent. 9 sacks over 6 games, but I didn’t think VMI’s d-line was very good. On top of that, there were a number of times that the QB broke arm tackles that I don’t think our defense would allow. It also seemed that they struggled to switch on stunts and late blitzes, which our D does a lot of

This would be a good game to have their QB and their QB’s mother nervous at halftime. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Hello bulldogg

what would you say to be JMU strengths and weaknesses? How about injuries? Anybody enter the portal in the last week or so?

thanks

No one in the portal that I know of.

Strengths - We are very strong defensively. It is hard to run on us. We have a stable of very good running backs, all of whom could start just about anywhere in FCS. If we are going to have players enter the portal, the most likely candidates are RBs because there are just not enough totes to go around and some of them received multiple P5 offers.

Weaknesses - we have one or two true freshmen on the OL. Surprisingly, they have been doing well. Many of us thought Cole Johnson would be a weakness at QB, but he has done a good job overall. Very smart player who will fool you with his toughness, despite his frail build. Very good decision-maker. If you stack the box, Cole can find open receivers and is not at all afraid to go deep. He enjoys solid protection from his OL and can run if needed. A weakness that has reared its ugly head from time to time all season is the weird tendency to play two or three solid quarters of football, then lay down and let teams get back in the game. Case in point, VMI. We were ahead 28-10 at the end of the third quarter. We wound up winning the game by a single touchdown. With seconds left and VMI having just scored, they attempted the obvious onside kick which we recovered. An unlucky bounce of the ball and you could be playing VMI Sunday. That has driven me insane all season!

Injuries - All-American OL out until fall. He is an almost certain draft pick. NFL teams like JMU offensive linemen. Super Bowl champ Tampa Bay has three - one starter, one 2-deep, the third I'm not sure where he is in the lineup. 

How about you guys? What should we look for?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bulldogg said:

Strengths - We are very strong defensively. It is hard to run on us. We have a stable of very good running backs, all of whom could start just about anywhere in FCS. If we are going to have players enter the portal, the most likely candidates are RBs because there are just not enough totes to go around and some of them received multiple P5 offers.

Weaknesses - we have one or two true freshmen on the OL. Surprisingly, they have been doing well. Many of us thought Cole Johnson would be a weakness at QB, but he has done a good job overall. Very smart player who will fool you with his toughness, despite his frail build. Very good decision-maker. If you stack the box, Cole can find open receivers and is not at all afraid to go deep. He enjoys solid protection from his OL and can run if needed. A weakness that has reared its ugly head from time to time all season is the weird tendency to play two or three solid quarters of football, then lay down and let teams get back in the game. Case in point, VMI. We were ahead 28-10 at the end of the third quarter. We wound up winning the game by a single touchdown. With seconds left and VMI having just scored, they attempted the obvious onside kick which we recovered. An unlucky bounce of the ball and you could be playing VMI Sunday. That has driven me insane all season!

Injuries - All-American OL out until fall. He is an almost certain draft pick. NFL teams like JMU offensive linemen. Super Bowl champ Tampa Bay has three - one starter, one 2-deep, the third I'm not sure where he is in the lineup. 

1. Can we move the ball if JMU stacks the box and curtails the run? Our offense is either hot or cold and the four week break has us leaning towards cold. If we are on our game watch out, if not JMU could blow us out.

2. Can our defense hold up a heavy run attack? Our defense still has a hard time stopping the power run. Our secondary is sneaky and is looking to pick you off every single play.... boom or bust

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bulldogg said:

Strengths:

O line. Usually get the push and open holes for our dynamic RB. Allowed 1 qb sack all year. Gives the qb plenty of time to find receivers. 

Cerebral QB.  He won’t wow you with his arm and hasn’t proven to be especially mobile, but his completion percentage is high and he’s only thrown one interception.

Agressive Defense and special teams. If opponents are inferior, both units can gobble you up. At this level of the playoffs, I don’t expect inferior competition, so they probably won’t be making a highlight reel tape against you guys.  

Weaknesses:

stopping a power run against NDSU was a problem. That particular player played his first game of the season, so we were ill prepared. We lost our only experienced Nose Guard in that game, so adjustments were hard. that NG is back now. 

we’ve also been beaten deep on occasions, too. Both SDSU and NDSU got points on major pass plays. 

if we can’t the run going(which could be a problem against JMU), forcing us to pass worked for NDSU, though I don’t consider our offense one-dimensional. We could use some burner speed at WR, which we don’t have. We also lost one of our best receiver playmakers last week. 

We won’t run you out of the stadium, but you might do that to us. The only way we win is by keeping the game close. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bulldogg said:

Over the last couple of years we have not been very good on the road.  Probably my biggest concern going into Sunday.  If this game was in Grand Forks I’d be fairly optimistic.  Having to travel we will need to not turn the ball over, cause some turnovers and keep it close to give ourselves a chance.  

What an opportunity this Sunday for the UND Football program. I've always felt that once UND got to a certain level in the FCS landscape they would stay there*. I was wrong in 2016, going into 2017. This does feel like a potential program defying moment. Very cool experience for the team playing one of the two FCS giants on the road in the playoffs. Can this be the time that Bubba and the team finally get over that hurdle?

*I'm talking yearly playoff team. Nothing too crazy.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, AJS said:

What an opportunity this Sunday for the UND Football program. I've always felt that once UND got to a certain level in the FCS landscape they would stay there*. I was wrong in 2016, going into 2017. This does feel like a potential program defying moment. Very cool experience for the team playing one of the two FCS giants on the road in the playoffs. Can this be the time that Bubba and the team finally get over that hurdle?

*I'm talking yearly playoff team. Nothing too crazy.

Overall this is a much more solid team than 2016 IMO.  Obviously been a weird last year, but this team is winning games convincingly and seems to have much more top end talent across the board and much more depth.  I was at the USD and NAU games in 2016, and winning games on pick 6 plays is not a long term plan for success.  Don't get me wrong, was a great season in 2016 and very memorable but this team is just superior.

Can't wait for the game on Sunday.  Watched the VMI-JMU game last night.  If we play a decent game we will win.  Danny needs to take some shots deep early to take some pressure off the defensive box, and we need to be able to stop the run, which I think we can.  Definitely noticeable differences between MVFC front 7 and CAA front 7.

20 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If we play a decent game we will win.

I think we'll need to have an SDSU or USD type of game to win.  If/when we get beat, make the adjustments.  Need to have a couple things go your way (i.e. fake punt, blocked punt, forced fumble recovery, etc).

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I think we'll need to have an SDSU or USD type of game to win.  If/when we get beat, make the adjustments.  Need to have a couple things go your way (i.e. fake punt, blocked punt, forced fumble recovery, etc).

4th down conversion is another one that I forgot.

Another win or two, could have huge implications in recruiting and making this team better over the next few years. Have to show that we aren't satisfied just to be there. Win the game and elevate the program. Win the next game and elevate it more. You want to big a top dog in the FCS, you have to be the top dogs in the FCS.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Don't let the boys see that!  Reverse bulletin board effect.  Yikes!

I wouldn't look at a bloggers prediction as being bulletin board material. This matchup has me anxious.

Can't wait for some Sunday night FCS football. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

That was my thoughts, we have to have an SDSU type of game.  I'd say JMU is and should be the favorites, they've been better historically, played in many big games, we've had our issues on the road etc..  But....we did beat the top seed by 10 points.  That game was at home though, and we caught a break when they dropped what would have been their second TD.  That said, we bounced back, stuffed the run for the most part, and played very solid.  We have to replicate that type of performance (minus giving them those first two easy drives).  

We did win our first playoff game, but there are many others from other fan bases thinking and hoping we will just get crushed this weekend.  A win here would be huge for confidence and overall program perception.  If we play a very good game and we get beat, I will of course be very disappointed, but could accept it.  I will be completely pissed though if we go in there and crap the bed and give a performance like we did against Nichols.  That just cannot happen this time.  I want to see them playing with fire and a lot of desire.  If they can't get up for this game, there is no hope. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That was my thoughts, we have to have an SDSU type of game.  I'd say JMU is and should be the favorites, they've been better historically, played in many big games, we've had our issues on the road etc..  But....we did beat the top seed by 10 points.  That game was at home though, and we caught a break when they dropped what would have been their second TD.  That said, we bounced back, stuffed the run for the most part, and played very solid.  We have to replicate that type of performance (minus giving them those first two easy drives).  

We did win our first playoff game, but there are many others from other fan bases thinking and hoping we will just get crushed this weekend.  A win here would be huge for confidence and overall program perception.  If we play a very good game and we get beat, I will of course be very disappointed, but could accept it.  I will be completely pissed though if we go in there and crap the bed and give a performance like we did against Nichols.  That just cannot happen this time.  I want to see them playing with fire and a lot of desire.  If they can't get up for this game, there is no hope. 

I’d prefer we don’t start slow and let them hit deep passes over the top like SDSU. The second half of that game, now that’d how I’d like to see our guys play for 4 quarters.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’d prefer we don’t start slow and let them hit deep passes over the top like SDSU. The second half of that game, now that’d how I’d like to see our guys play for 4 quarters.

I hear you there, that is why I said minus those first two drives :D   In our first two games of the season, it sucked giving up easy early drives.  Yet at the same time it was nice to see them respond.  We need to weather the storm early against JMU.  I'd take 0-0 score at the end of first quarter!