SiouxSports.com Forum

Jacks VS Hawks

Nodak78

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

From a strictly preview analysis, I don't have a lot to offer. It's the weighing Game 1 vs your expectations based on last years results. I really don't know what to expect. 

What I do want to talk about is the incredible opportunity that this weekend gives this program. Not being in the Missouri Valley I do feel has really hurt this program from a notoriety standpoint regionally. Which I do feel hurts recruiting to a certain extent, or just general enthusiasm around the Football team. You are recruiting against all the schools (Dakota / UNI) and you don't play any of them, for the most part. You aren't being talked about in the media outside of GF. Of course, winning big games and capitalizing on momentum has been an issue that plays into it as well. 

I felt a shift after Game 1 of being in the Valley. I can guarantee if the same thing happened, but instead of being in the Valley, UND was still independent or in the Big Sky, there would have been a different opinions. More dismissive. This was a long winded way of saying UND can change the perception of their Football program regionally in a hurry by winning games against teams like the Jacks. 

The momentum swing a win would get this program could not be overstated. 

herb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thought the spread would be a little bigger than 7.5, but Vegas knows what their doing. That shows me people are already thinking the Hawks can compete in the MVFC, considering, after NDSU, SDSU is traditionally the second "powerhouse" in this conference. I completely agree with geaux_sioux. Looked like we were weak against quick game at times and, in my mind, I need to see us stop the run more than one game in a row to say that issue from last year is fixed.

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Lots of positives from last game obviously. However, our passing game didn’t look very good. That needs to click next week to have a chance at a big upset. Same goes for our intermediate passing d. We gave up too many chunk plays against SIU. 

The passing game definitely left a lot to be desired. Hopefully UND can connect on a couple deep balls this week. See which WR (Maag or Richter) has the smaller DB on him, and throw it up! 

SDSU's d-line concerns me. Hoping the o-line can take another step forward this weekend and keep Schuster upright. I do like when Quincy comes into the game as I think it will keep the defense guessing. He just needs some completions to build some confidence. 

14 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Has there been an update on Boltman?  Last I heard it was most likley a few weeks that he would miss, but was hoping he could be back this week or next.

He’s not listed on the 2 deep this week other than the backup holder. Interesting, last week they had 3 WR positions shown on the 2 deep and this week just 2. 

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

He’s not listed on the 2 deep this week other than the backup holder. Interesting, last week they had 3 WR positions shown on the 2 deep and this week just 2. 

Week 1 had 3 WR Spots / 1 TE. Week 2 has 2 WR Spots / 2 TE Spots.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, Nodak78 said:

I read an interesting article on the Jacks.  Pretty good analysis with just a few errors.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspot.com/2021/02/spring-2021-und-preview.html

Thank you for reading and linking to the blog!  I always appreciate the thoughts of our opponents. 

Should be a fun game.  I was impressed with your front seven vs. SIU.  After coming off the game with UNI I was looking for a chance to see what our freshman QB could do with a little more time to study the defense but I don't think that will be the case this weekend.  Happy to answer questions about the Jacks. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Thank you for reading and linking to the blog!  I always appreciate the thoughts of our opponents. 

Should be a fun game.  I was impressed with your front seven vs. SIU.  After coming off the game with UNI I was looking for a chance to see what our freshman QB could do with a little more time to study the defense but I don't think that will be the case this weekend.  Happy to answer questions about the Jacks. 

Really good write up.  Consistency has not been a thing for us in the past so I think we are as anxious to see what team shows up and if SIU was who this team really is.  Will be a big test for UND.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Is J'bore hurt more than everyone thought, or did the Freshman just beat him out?  

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is J'bore hurt more than everyone thought, or did the Freshman just beat him out?  

His recovery did take a long time and didn't participate in our fall game but the coaches are adamant that Gronowski beat him out.  The UNI announcers kept saying this was SDSU's 3rd string QB but that just isn't true. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JacksIllustrated said:

His recovery did take a long time and didn't participate in our fall game but the coaches are adamant that Gronowski beat him out.  The UNI announcers kept saying this was SDSU's 3rd string QB but that just isn't true. 

What's your thoughts on Gronowski?

This could be interesting having a redshirt F vs a true F this Saturday.

23 minutes ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Do you have access to the 2 deep for the Jacks.

4 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

What's your thoughts on Gronowski?

This could be interesting having a redshirt F vs a true F this Saturday.

I've been a Gronowski fan since we started recruiting him.  Big arm, good athlete, if you watched the UNI game it's obvious that his accuracy and touch were not there.  Probably to be expected out of a true freshman.  He was part of the Midwest Boom 7 vs 7 program which is a perennial power and worked with the Throw It Deep quarterback school. 

4 minutes ago, JacksIllustrated said:

I've been a Gronowski fan since we started recruiting him.  Big arm, good athlete, if you watched the UNI game it's obvious that his accuracy and touch were not there.  Probably to be expected out of a true freshman.  He was part of the Midwest Boom 7 vs 7 program which is a perennial power and worked with the Throw It Deep quarterback school. 

I tried to watch as I had this game on the second TV, but UND hockey was on the main TV so I missed a lot. I do recall noticing that the kid can run and has good feet.

2 hours ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Who's your biggest rivalry(s).  NDSU claims the Jacks are theirs as the players today have never even heard of UND.