SiouxSports.com Forum

Jacks VS Hawks

Nodak78

2 hours ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Thank you for reading and linking to the blog!  I always appreciate the thoughts of our opponents. 

Should be a fun game.  I was impressed with your front seven vs. SIU.  After coming off the game with UNI I was looking for a chance to see what our freshman QB could do with a little more time to study the defense but I don't think that will be the case this weekend.  Happy to answer questions about the Jacks. 

Big Question for you........ Is UNI overrated this year or are they as good as their ranking says based on the SDSU game?

28 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Who's your biggest rivalry(s).  NDSU claims the Jacks are theirs as the players today have never even heard of UND.

NDSU followed closely by USD for fans.  I think the team may say NDSU and UNI.  The Panthers and Jacks have gone back and forth for a number of years and have 2 or 3 recent playoff matchups as well.  

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Big Question for you........ Is UNI overrated this year or are they as good as their ranking says based on the SDSU game?

Maybe overrated.  The defense is every bit as good as advertised and may be better considering how many big time players they lost to transfer and graduation.  The offense still has work to do.  McElvain (All-MVFC preseason QB) still doesn't impress me.  Their offense looks good on paper but it just hasn't translated to the field since they lost Briley Moore (All-American tight end) early last season to injury and then transfer. 

38 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Thanks.  At a glance I believe UND will win a few jump balls.

Does Maag primarily play on the boundary?  If so, I think Don Gardner may follow him.  He was 2nd team All-MVFC last year.  He had two penalties called him against UNI where he got a little grabby but he battled Isaiah Weston well until he was hurt. 

2 hours ago, JacksIllustrated said:

Does Maag primarily play on the boundary?  If so, I think Don Gardner may follow him.  He was 2nd team All-MVFC last year.  He had two penalties called him against UNI where he got a little grabby but he battled Isaiah Weston well until he was hurt. 

Maag has DB's hanging on him quite often.  Rarely a penalty.  Richter js another 6'4" recr.  A couple TE's 6'3" and 6'4".    this could be a good match ups to watch.  If you can convince Heins to stay home would be much appreciated.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, JacksIllustrated said:

NDSU followed closely by USD for fans.  I think the team may say NDSU and UNI.  The Panthers and Jacks have gone back and forth for a number of years and have 2 or 3 recent playoff matchups as well.  

UND needs to win against teams to be considered a rivalry, I get that.

The Jacks LBs seem light.  Did UNI get to the second level much and how was the tackling?

50 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm excited to see what happens on Saturday.  Big time opportunity here to make a statement.

With that said, they have to be ready for a quick turnaround the next week against the Yotes.  So don't get too high or too low after this one. 

That is a quick turn around.  But it is even more so for the Yotes.  They play ISU on the road Sat. and travel to GF on Thursday.  Both Sat and Thursday at home for US.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Gotta start faster this week.

Anyone go to the Tav or Playmakers prior to the game last week? I think that’s my crews plan as long as it’s open.

My crew had a nice breakfast at the Tav followed by Bloody Marys and then some beers. Started at 9 am. Before we knew it it was game time!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That seems like a situation we need to take advantage of.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

That is a quick turn around.  But it is even more so for the Yotes.  They play ISU on the road Sat. and travel to GF on Thursday.  Both Sat and Thursday at home for US.

Yes.  Sounded like they got a charter to Normal (at least that is what was said on the Yotes board), so they can avoid one long bus ride (although I would rather drive up I-29 and see the beautiful Sisseton Hills before going through Iowa.)

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I was thinking the same thing....was thinking he should predict us to lose by that same score every week this season :D  Well...at least until we lose :)

Kelly bleed Green.  His heart was with the Hawks.  The Hawks defense was ripped to shreds last season in the playoffs.  SIU was highly ranked his concern to pick the Hawks.

I think we can all agree, we were surprised by the victory margin.  Will the Hawks be consistent.  I think they are hungry and for really.  They will win.  MVFC are not sure how to handle Danny's defense.  Brockstar will add another dimension.  I don't think he plays but watch the passing game.

I wish this game was coming where there was no warning for SDSU. 

That said ...

Dear Brookings Bunnies,

UND got so, so lucky with five turnovers by SIU. That was the story of the game: turnovers; nothing more. Nothing to worry about, Brookings Bunnies. Start thinking about Mar 6 or whenever your next game is. Hop along. 

Signed,
Bubba's Brood  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

@JacksIllustrated A question about a couple of players from my neck of the woods.  Is Winkleman the best pass rusher SDSU has (Had a good year last year) on the D-Line?

What is SDSU expecting out of Jefferson Lee V this year?

Winkelman is the most complete player and had a solid game against UNI.  He's actually been a player I've been on since he arrived on campus and converted from LB to DE.  Hicks or Ogunrinde are the best pass rushers. I like Jefferson Lee V, however, he can't seem to find the field except in mop up duty.  The running back room is thin this season though and of course COVID could happen so he needs to stay ready.