SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #6-It's literally Omaha from here on out........

Wilbur

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Judd and Jasper continue their current level of play this team will be tough to beat even on an off night. Both were terrific last weekend. 

And here I was ready to send out a missing person's report.  For you, and for Judd and Jasper earlier in the season. :lol:

On 2/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, Wilbur said:

I'd love to see Mankato in the NCHC.  Would happily trade Miami for them.  Or we could just add them and Air Force and have a 10 team league.

As an Air Force fan, I’d love to see them in the conference but I don’t think they’re competitive enough to recruit the caliber of players needed for the long haul grind of an NCHC season. Sure, they’ve definitely proven to be a tough out in the national tournament (just ask St. Cloud) but that’s a one-and-done format. I just think they have too many built in hurdles to recruit the types of players they’d need in order to be competitive in the NCHC. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, burd said:

Omaha is really really good this year--vastly underrated.  With a few good bounces and maybe a flu bug in the other locker room, the boys might win one this weekend. 

Thats not going to make it onto Mav's Twitter.  Rookie......sigh.....

17 hours ago, Godsmack said:

As an Air Force fan, I’d love to see them in the conference but I don’t think they’re competitive enough to recruit the caliber of players needed for the long haul grind of an NCHC season. Sure, they’ve definitely proven to be a tough out in the national tournament (just ask St. Cloud) but that’s a one-and-done format. I just think they have too many built in hurdles to recruit the types of players they’d need in order to be competitive in the NCHC. 

You gonna tell me next that their football team can't hang with Bama???  :lol:

I don't see them ever joining the NCHC, but I'd put a friendly wager up that Serratore wouldn't let them finish last in the league most seasons.  

On 2/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, SJHovey said:

It would be fun to see, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

UMD will likely finish anywhere between 2 and 4 in the standings, but I think it's much more likely they finish higher rather than lower.

UMD has three games left, two of them against SCSU, which seems to give them problems.  I still see UMD winning the CC game, and probably getting some points out of at least one of the two SCSU games.  That'll put them somewhere between 43-45 points.

Omaha has 38 points, but 4 games against us.  Even if they split, that's only 44 points.  I think with 44 they end up behind, or possibly tied with UMD.  I think UMD finishes at least as high as third this year, maybe even second if they can handle SCSU who they are only one point behind.

On the other hand, Denver seems pretty locked into that five spot.  They can't catch any of the top four teams.  WMU could finish ahead of DU (they are up two points right now) but WMU will likely finish with 33 points at best if they sweep Miami.  DU can get to 34 if they take 3 of 4 from CC.  CC can move up to five if they basically run the table, or go 5-1 in their last six, but with two games at DU, plus one each at SCSU and UMD, that seems like a tall order.

My predicted order of finish:

UND, UMD, SCSU, Omaha, DU, WMU, CC and Miami

Spoiler alert. Duloot just lost to CC. Time to mix things up a bit.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:15 AM, Wilbur said:

You gonna tell me next that their football team can't hang with Bama???  :lol:

I don't see them ever joining the NCHC, but I'd put a friendly wager up that Serratore wouldn't let them finish last in the league most seasons.  

This I can guarantee...if Air Force were in the NCHC, Coach Serratore would hands down win the award for best post game interviews! 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ND_Texan said:

Spoiler alert. Duloot just lost to CC. Time to mix things up a bit.

Yeah, maybe, but I'm not changing my picks just yet.  If UND can take care of business this weekend and clinch the Penrose on home ice, UMD will still be in third, somewhere between 1 and 4 points behind SCSU, with their final two games against the Huskies.  UMD is struggling for wins right now, but it's not like they are playing bad.  They are dominating possession time, and are still a dangerous team.

This is a huge message game for the boys.  Needing 6 points in four games against Omaha, getting 3 points in the first game would take the air out of Omaha for the remaining games.  The odds of them winning the next three would not be good, so I hope they come out firing on all cylinders for this game.  I know Omaha will want to push the start, so I expect a pretty intense, high octane, first period.  Let's get this going to keep the Penna Rosa!!

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I like that top line.  Could do some damage.
Hopefully Mismash isn't out for too much longer.  While he tends to take some dumb penalties, he's had a great knack for scoring timely 3rd period goals this season.

To piggy off the penalty thing...

Interestingly, Gaber actually has more penalty minutes than Mismash. The leaders in PIMS this year are Gaber, Mismash and Kawaguchi apparently.

Obviously, I don’t think having 3 top 6 forwards in the box that much is ideal. :blink: