SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #6-It's literally Omaha from here on out........

Wilbur

Now we are done with the Pios and getting our posts published on a world famous blog (well.....?), we are back to getting our posts published on a less famous twitter feed about how Omaha is our fiercest rival to date.  Throw away the Denver scrums, dead gophers on the ice, a certain water bottle incident in Madison, Duluth getting pretty salty and ticking us all off, Stearns County School for Jan, no my friends....its Omaha.  

I've complained a bunch about the schedule.  Luckily nobody paid attention.  I know we were supposed to play these games earlier, but honestly playing them four times in a row to end the year means bad blood boiling over like we saw in the Denver series.  The league could have prevented this by directing Denver's flight to Ohio or Kalamazoo last week and having a bus trip for UND, SCSU, or Duluth, but its a Covid year, so I'll shut up.  I'd rather see UND play Duluth or SCSU more than twice a year (my opinion of course).

To the matter at hand.  Omaha swept CC last weekend building on what happened against Denver.  They'll likely be the only team in NCHC history to win a 3 on 3 OT game with a 5 on 5 goal, you read that right.  When we aren't taking an abundance of penalties and doing everything we can to irritate the fan base we are pretty good.  When UND decided to play 5x5 for a stretch of Saturday's game they only gave up 7 shots on goal the last two periods.  Omaha is much better on the power play than Denver, and what we learned from Saturday night in Omaha was that they'll beat UND if our guys give them a bunch of opportunities up a guy.  

I've been told a sweep this weekend guarantees the Penrose cup, so there is that.

What about Scheel?  What about Mismash?  Other injuries?  Jasper likely the NCHC player of the week?   

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Now we are done with the Pios and getting our posts published on a world famous blog (well.....?), we are back to getting our posts published on a less famous twitter feed about how Omaha is our fiercest rival to date.  Throw away the Denver scrums, dead gophers on the ice, a certain water bottle incident in Madison, Duluth getting pretty salty and ticking us all off, Stearns County School for Jan, no my friends....its Omaha.  

I've complained a bunch about the schedule.  Luckily nobody paid attention.  I know we were supposed to play these games earlier, but honestly playing them four times in a row to end the year means bad blood boiling over like we saw in the Denver series.  The league could have prevented this by directing Denver's flight to Ohio or Kalamazoo last week and having a bus trip for UND, SCSU, or Duluth, but its a Covid year, so I'll shut up.  I'd rather see UND play Duluth or SCSU more than twice a year (my opinion of course).

To the matter at hand.  Omaha swept CC last weekend building on what happened against Denver.  They'll likely be the only team in NCHC history to win a 3 on 3 OT game with a 5 on 5 goal, you read that right.  When we aren't taking an abundance of penalties and doing everything we can to irritate the fan base we are pretty good.  When UND decided to play 5x5 for a stretch of Saturday's game they only gave up 7 shots on goal the last two periods.  Omaha is much better on the power play than Denver, and what we learned from Saturday night in Omaha was that they'll beat UND if our guys give them a bunch of opportunities up a guy.  

I've been told a sweep this weekend guarantees the Penrose cup, so there is that.

What about Scheel?  What about Mismash?  Other injuries?  Jasper likely the NCHC player of the week?   

Yes.  Due to our game in hand over St Cloud, sweeping this weekend guarantees us another Penrose Cup.  With only 2 games the next 2 weeks after that before the Frozen Faceoff, that would give the entire team some much needed rest and time to heal up.  So yes, let's sweep this weekend so we can make a run for #9!!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

UND needs 6 pts to eliminate SCSU from cup contention. Combination of a North Dakota win and a SCSU loss would do it.

UND needs  7 pts to eliminate the Purple Cows......Any combination of  ND points gained a UNO points lost will do it.

Und needs 5 pts to eliminate Duloot. Any combination of ND points gained and UMD points lost .......

DU.....NO soup for you.....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

UND needs 6 pts to eliminate SCSU from cup contention. Combination of a North Dakota win and a SCSU loss would do it.

UND needs  7 pts to eliminate the Purple Cows......Any combination of  ND points gained a UNO points lost will do it.

Und needs 5 pts to eliminate Duloot. Any combination of ND points gained and UMD points lost .......

I'd be super happy with a Duluth-Denver opening round matchup at the NCHC tournament.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Red Cows... also the name of a fantastic burger place in MPLS lol.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It happens. Mankato was in the WCHA with us longer than UNO has been in NCHC, so the "rivalries" run deep lol

I'd love to see Mankato in the NCHC.  Would happily trade Miami for them.  Or we could just add them and Air Force and have a 10 team league.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'd love to see Mankato in the NCHC.  Would happily trade Miami for them.  Or we could just add them and Air Force and have a 10 team league.

This brings up the point of why didn't they add them in the beginning, why add teams you didn't want  originally. 

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

This brings up the point of why didn't they add them in the beginning, why add teams you didn't want  originally. 

Mankato was a mediocre at best WCHA team at the time with an arena in need of a facelift.  Both have changed since.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The time has come for a Hobey Baker nickname for our top candidate.

Pinto-bey

Hobey Beaner (haha yeah that's not gonna fly)

Thats all I've got. 

Are we talking for the fans to chant at the games? Ala "Ho-bey Dun-can"?

Pinto-bey took me a minute, but once I got it, I LOLed.

Hobey Baker(ed) Pinto Beans?

LOL

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Same. I think at some point down the road, Mankato will be in the NCHC. Makes too much sense. Though as much as I have little brother feelings for Bemidji State...I'm perfectly fine with UND not being in the same conference as them. Miami's HC isn't a fan of the NCHC so I don't think there would be any hard feelings if Miami did leave.

However, if Miami left I hope that wouldn't mean WMU would leave as they have been routinely competitive. 

17 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Same. I think at some point down the road, Mankato will be in the NCHC. Makes too much sense. Though as much as I have little brother feelings for Bemidji State...I'm perfectly fine with UND not being in the same conference as them. Miami's HC isn't a fan of the NCHC so I don't think there would be any hard feelings if Miami did leave.

However, if Miami left I hope that wouldn't mean WMU would leave as they have been routinely competitive. 

I cheer for the beavers, I just don't want to watch our team play them four times a year.  Plus the Serratore that coaches Air Force is the funnier of the brothers.   

On 2/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, Wilbur said:

I'd be super happy with a Duluth-Denver opening round matchup at the NCHC tournament.

It would be fun to see, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

UMD will likely finish anywhere between 2 and 4 in the standings, but I think it's much more likely they finish higher rather than lower.

UMD has three games left, two of them against SCSU, which seems to give them problems.  I still see UMD winning the CC game, and probably getting some points out of at least one of the two SCSU games.  That'll put them somewhere between 43-45 points.

Omaha has 38 points, but 4 games against us.  Even if they split, that's only 44 points.  I think with 44 they end up behind, or possibly tied with UMD.  I think UMD finishes at least as high as third this year, maybe even second if they can handle SCSU who they are only one point behind.

On the other hand, Denver seems pretty locked into that five spot.  They can't catch any of the top four teams.  WMU could finish ahead of DU (they are up two points right now) but WMU will likely finish with 33 points at best if they sweep Miami.  DU can get to 34 if they take 3 of 4 from CC.  CC can move up to five if they basically run the table, or go 5-1 in their last six, but with two games at DU, plus one each at SCSU and UMD, that seems like a tall order.

My predicted order of finish:

UND, UMD, SCSU, Omaha, DU, WMU, CC and Miami

14 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

It would be fun to see, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

UMD will likely finish anywhere between 2 and 4 in the standings, but I think it's much more likely they finish higher rather than lower.

UMD has three games left, two of them against SCSU, which seems to give them problems.  I still see UMD winning the CC game, and probably getting some points out of at least one of the two SCSU games.  That'll put them somewhere between 43-45 points.

Omaha has 38 points, but 4 games against us.  Even if they split, that's only 44 points.  I think with 44 they end up behind, or possibly tied with UMD.  I think UMD finishes at least as high as third this year, maybe even second if they can handle SCSU who they are only one point behind.

On the other hand, Denver seems pretty locked into that five spot.  They can't catch any of the top four teams.  WMU could finish ahead of DU (they are up two points right now) but WMU will likely finish with 33 points at best if they sweep Miami.  DU can get to 34 if they take 3 of 4 from CC.  CC can move up to five if they basically run the table, or go 5-1 in their last six, but with two games at DU, plus one each at SCSU and UMD, that seems like a tall order.

My predicted order of finish:

UND, UMD, SCSU, Omaha, DU, WMU, CC and Miami

I'm good with this. Prediction... *DU beats Omaha in the first round of the NCHC tournament. 

*Hoping to be featured on a future UNO tweet