SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 ND High School Hockey

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The ones that do out west end up losing good kids to other programs.  Watched the Minot-South game last night and Minot has lost 8 kids that should be on their high school team this year to prep schools or prep programs.  The kid that scored the first goal for South-Shanley last night is a Wahp-Breck kid that left and ended up at South-Shanley like the Senf kid who left Jamestown the year before.  

Talked to a dad that sent his kid away out here in western ND.  The biggest thing for him was the game/competition factor.  You get 20 something games in ND high school hockey, and if you play in the west you've got guaranteed league games with some teams that are lacking when it comes to being able to put a competitive team on the ice for a high school game.  His kid just played in his 47th game at his prep program.

I've always been a huge fan of high school hockey.  Coached, played, etc.  Just can't blame these kids when the NDHSAA does everything in their power to keep all the other sports at competitive levels (see Red River and Central dropping a class in football), yet hockey just remains on the back burner.  

Well said Wilbur. I don’t blame kids for leaving one bit. We’ve lost a couple here in Jamestown the last 10 years but it could be more real soon. If we played in the East it could be a different story since the competition is obviously a hell of a lot better 

54 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Well said Wilbur. I don’t blame kids for leaving one bit. We’ve lost a couple here in Jamestown the last 10 years but it could be more real soon. If we played in the East it could be a different story since the competition is obviously a hell of a lot better 

When I played Devils Lake was in the west and Jamestown was in the east.  Wonder what changed to make them flip?  Just my opinion, but if I was Jamestown I'd absolutely want to play in the east region.  All those Fargo schools, and your worst bus trip is Grafton. :lol:  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When I played Devils Lake was in the west and Jamestown was in the east.  Wonder what changed to make them flip?  Just my opinion, but if I was Jamestown I'd absolutely want to play in the east region.  All those Fargo schools, and your worst bus trip is Grafton. :lol:  

Why that happened I have no clue 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

And for other sports Jamestown has Watford City, Williston, and Belcourt. 

6 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Very good point. Plus, all the kids that choose to go play Juniors in other states! I do think that in the end it's the amount of time the East (Grand Forks specifically) focuses on hockey. Correct me if I am wrong, do many of these hockey players play anything else but maybe tennis or golf? No knock on those sports, but one has to wonder if those kids chose to play football, would GF football be more competitive?

Jake Marto was fantastic football player, so was Robbie Bina, and Ryan Potulny for Red River before he left.   There are plenty of examples but in the last 10 to 15 years there are fewer and fewer that play multi sports.  All my kids are now done with high school. The last one 7 years ago.  But the one thing I noticed with a couple of coaches over the years either in youth sports or high school, some coaches tell your kid to play as many sports as possible and very much mean it to their core.  But there are a couple of coaches who will say they believe in playing many sports...but then quietly will use the word--- but.  For example they will say "you can play other sports....but...."  Honestly, my kids were involved in all sorts of activities, they had fun, and we had fun watching them, none were superstars, and that's perfectly alright.  In the end,  I'm a everybody will figure out whats right for them, kind of person.

My understanding is the Athletic Directors need to come together and push for the two tier system if it's going to happen. The coaches are largely in favor of it already, except the large class A schools that would be on the bubble. The low end and high end virtually all agree it needs to happen. My conversations with Matt Fetch usually end with it's too hard to change the bylaws and there isn't enough teams, witch is complete bull$%!#. They are perfectly fine with changing the football levels every other year. They are also ok with having a six man league with 3 or 4 teams in the state. It needs to come from the AD's...... call them and voice your opinions. 

20 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Would gpr and devils lake be on board playing tier 2 hockey?

20 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

They could always opt up. 

These are the two I see as needing it the most while at the same time probably fighting it the most.

I very well could be wrong but... lets face it when it comes down to a numbers game ... the numbers just arent there.

If North/South wins at 11 am today was thinking about going to girl's championship tomorrow at 430 after UND FB as we have friends who's kids play then I found out it was $25/ticket.  Looks like the NDHSAA is into mental gymnastics too. 

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If North/South wins at 11 am today was thinking about going to girl's championship tomorrow at 430 after UND FB as we have friends who's kids play then I found out it was $25/ticket.  Looks like the NDHSAA is into mental gymnastics too. 

I'd pay $25 bucks to watch a team with a Bruin in a Spartan helmet as a logo.  #Spruins 

Can anyone enlighten me on how Abby Promersberger from N/S is eligible to play her Sr. year after playing in Minnesota on a AAA team last year?  She's a fantastic player no doubt.  I thought if a player leaves to play elsewhere and then eventually returns the player is deemed ineligible for varsity competition for a year.  This very thing happened to Dessa Flom from Minot last year which was her senior year, and was the kind of player that could've propelled that team to a state championship game.  They lost a close one to the eventual state champion.     

10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I have never been able to figure out how the GF KnightRiders team is not more successful. Apparently girls hockey in GF is not a big thing.?

Seems to me like Girl's basketball is more popular in Grand Forks than hockey.  All my cousins from GF went to Red River, and while the boys all played hockey, the girls were all basketball players.

I'd be interested to see the split of Central girls vs. Red River girls on the team.  When I was at UND and did some student teaching at Central High School all they could talk about was the lack of numbers they had for all girl sports, and the trend was getting worse.  However, that was 15 plus years ago....  

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Did they find out high school students don’t spread Covid or something? Why can the student section be hand in hand all the way around, but UND has to practice social distancing?  Seem a bit odd of the Ralph.

#askJody