SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 ND High School Hockey

That situation is an on ice officials nightmare.  One team is celebrating a goal and if you ask Amsbaugh of course it was.  Then of course Bismarck will say no way because it didn't look in at all.  You didn't see it go in so of course you are asking the goal judge what he saw.  Which in this instance he somehow said its a goal.  

So you call it no goal, and Bottineau is screaming at you that the goal judge turned the light on so of course it was in, and the kid who put his arms up will never tell you any differently.  They lose the game in OT, and you are getting all kinds of hate because Bottineau rarely makes state and its your fault.  

Or you call it a goal because that's what your buddy the goal judge says because he has your best interests in mind and wouldn't dare let you down.  Now Bismarck High is livid because that's a disaster way to have your season end in what has already been a disaster year.  Naturally there is video of the play with your buddy the goal judge yelling for someone to score before OT.

Lose lose situation.  Hearing police called to the arena makes it that much better. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

That situation is an on ice officials nightmare.  One team is celebrating a goal and if you ask Amsbaugh of course it was.  Then of course Bismarck will say no way because it didn't look in at all.  You didn't see it go in so of course you are asking the goal judge what he saw.  Which in this instance he somehow said its a goal.  

So you call it no goal, and Bottineau is screaming at you that the goal judge turned the light on so of course it was in, and the kid who put his arms up will never tell you any differently.  They lose the game in OT, and you are getting all kinds of hate because Bottineau rarely makes state and its your fault.  

Or you call it a goal because that's what your buddy the goal judge says because he has your best interests in mind and wouldn't dare let you down.  Now Bismarck High is livid because that's a disaster way to have your season end in what has already been a disaster year.  Naturally there is video of the play with your buddy the goal judge yelling for someone to score before OT.

Lose lose situation.  Hearing police called to the arena makes it that much better. 

Not a BHS peraon so no dog in this, but..

There is "appearently" documentation of this goal juge having been barred from officiating certain games due to prejudiced actions.

IF that is his voice, and then makes that call, I'd say there needs to be some permanent removal from all aspects of On and OFF ice officiating.

For perspective...

If this would have happenend to....God forbid an eastern team....or OMG a GF team in a state playoff game in Western North Dakota..... (a situation that actually could have happened this year)

The East would have seceded.......after burning down HWY 2 like Sherman to the sea.

17 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Not a BHS peraon so no dog in this, but..

There is "appearently" documentation of this goal juge having been barred from officiating certain games due to prejudiced actions.

IF that is his voice, and then makes that call, I'd say there needs to be some permanent removal from all aspects of On and OFF ice officiating.

For perspective...

If this would have happenend to....God forbid an eastern team....or OMG a GF team in a state playoff game in Western North Dakota..... (a situation that actually could have happened this year)

The East would have seceded.......after burning down HWY 2 like Sherman to the sea.

If there is documentation of this guy showing bias and the NDHSAA let him be a goal judge at a region tournament....sigh....

On 2/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, Wilbur said:

Reff called it no goal on the ice too.  I can't believe they'd go to the goal judge there. 

Actually that wasn’t a washout, look close. He put his hands in the air after the whistle as officials do sometimes.  His body language clearly shows he wasn’t certain where the puck was. Additionally, # 16 celebrating certainly added another element of complexity.   Anyone that has officiated HS or higher can appreciate how fast this all happened on the ice.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I feel bad for the official(s).  I attended the game and thought they called a nice game.  They called what was necessary without interfering with game flow and physicality.  It was an entertaining game that has been unfortunately tarnished by this incident.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

Actually that wasn’t a washout, look close. He put his hands in the air after the whistle as officials do sometimes.  His body language clearly shows he wasn’t certain where the puck was. Additionally, # 16 celebrating certainly added another element of complexity.   Anyone that has officiated HS or higher can appreciate how fast this all happened on the ice.    

Yeah it's not a washout.

6 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

I feel bad for the official(s).  I attended the game and thought they called a nice game.  They called what was necessary without interfering with game flow and physicality.  It was an entertaining game that has been unfortunately tarnished by this incident.  

Didn't see any of the game, but my heart bleeds for the stripes when situations like that happen.  Being the lead official on the goalie's glove side there is just no human way possible to see the far post.  Give him credit for doing his darndest to get into a better position to get a look when the goalie is squeezing the post.

10 hours ago, Clark17 said:

Wasnt there so cant and am not criticizing the stripes on ice.

The Goal judge video and moreso audio and background seem to be an issue.

That and anything that may or may not have happened post game.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't see any of the game, but my heart bleeds for the stripes when situations like that happen.  Being the lead official on the goalie's glove side there is just no human way possible to see the far post.  Give him credit for doing his darndest to get into a better position to get a look when the goalie is squeezing the post.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I agree.  Worst part is they’ve been getting blasted on social media by several people who very likely haven’t donned a ref. sweater at any level of hockey or anybody sport, and it’s probably a good chance they can’t stop both ways, let alone skate.  This ties into one of the more recent  threads on this site “What’s wrong with youth hockey?”  HS hockey is still youth hockey with life lessons etc... (this applies to any level of any sport really) Life doesn’t care if things don’t go your way, disappointment happens all the time.  Hopefully that’s the take-away and how to deal with it. I’m positive most on this forum would agree with me. 

8 hours ago, Clark17 said:

I agree.  Worst part is they’ve been getting blasted on social media by several people who very likely haven’t donned a ref. sweater at any level of hockey or anybody sport, and it’s probably a good chance they can’t stop both ways, let alone skate.  This ties into one of the more recent  threads on this site “What’s wrong with youth hockey?”  HS hockey is still youth hockey with life lessons etc... (this applies to any level of any sport really) Life doesn’t care if things don’t go your way, disappointment happens all the time.  Hopefully that’s the take-away and how to deal with it. I’m positive most on this forum would agree with me. 

I loved officiating, but situations like these made it easy to step away.  You think you're doing the program a favor by doing a 12U girls game at 8AM on a Sunday morning that no other officials want to pick up, and you get yelled at for two periods because two girls had their heads down and ran smack into each other and both sides want a murder charge for the opposing player.

Not everyone can officiate a high school hockey game.  You've got to be an exceptional skater IMHO.  They've made it a little easier with most high school games being four man crews, but you're not always going to be in the right position.  Those who critique should register with USA hockey and then find out how most small programs are hurting for officials because most quit within a few years.   

• Upvote 3

Sunday, November 30, 1986
UND Winter Sports Building (not sure if was renamed yet)

It's a rare Sunday afternoon game and the opponent is Yale. Unlike Friday where the Hrkac Circus had their way with UNH in a 10-0 victory, Yale is putting up a fight.

It's not a full house (I have most of a row for me, social distancing before its time I guess). I'm in the student section, top row below the concourse so I have an awesome view with little glass obstruction of the goal.

It's the second because Yale is shooting to the north and it's a close game (tied or one goal, don't recall but ... ). 

I watched Yale hit the old center vertical bar pad squarely and the puck come straight back out. 

The neither linesman was in position to see and the referee was screened by traffic.

The shot came square and left square so the goal judge never saw it. No video in those days. 

I saw it.

I heard it. 

Yale reacted like they scored.

UND cleared the puck down ice. 

I knew what I'd seen and heard: Yale had scored. 

I even pointed "goal" at the north net (silly honest streak in me). 

No goal after the officials and the goal judge all chatted. 

UND went on to win 6-4 that day, but that goal may have made for a different outcome. 

As Dean Blais says, hockey is a funny game. 

^^^That exact same thing happened to me while reffing a Pee Wee game about 25 years ago.  I swear that puck hit the cross bar and called it no goal.  The home crowd (my hometown) swears that puck went in.  Looking at the trajectory of the puck, how it rebounded square off the goal, and a Pee Wee shooting the puck so not exactly a rocket shot, that puck had to have hit the cross bar.  But I could have been wrong too.  I got destroyed by the parents, called every name in the book.

My final season reffing I was doing everything from HS games to Squirt tournaments, college club games, even lined a USHL game.  That's what happens when there are literally only 4 referees in town.  FOUR.  I decided I was done when after a HS game some parents thought they could just open the door to the ref room and start in on us.  Happened at youth games too.  These people all know you so they thought they could just walk in and give you a piece of their mind.  I'd had enough and quit.

When I coach I don't yell at the refs.  I will call them over to ask them about a call and get an explanation sometimes, but it's just a conversation and I don't show the ref up.  Believe it or not, yelling at the refs won't get you a call but being nice to the refs will get you the benefit of the doubt in many calls.  Reffing is a hard job.

Oh, and that was No Goal.  No idea what that goal judge was looking at.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Clark17 said:

The actions of the other Bottineau players would indicate that they saw the puck was not in?

25 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

^^^That exact same thing happened to me while reffing a Pee Wee game about 25 years ago.  I swear that puck hit the cross bar and called it no goal.  The home crowd (my hometown) swears that puck went in.  Looking at the trajectory of the puck, how it rebounded square off the goal, and a Pee Wee shooting the puck so not exactly a rocket shot, that puck had to have hit the cross bar.  But I could have been wrong too.  I got destroyed by the parents, called every name in the book.

My final season reffing I was doing everything from HS games to Squirt tournaments, college club games, even lined a USHL game.  That's what happens when there are literally only 4 referees in town.  FOUR.  I decided I was done when after a HS game some parents thought they could just open the door to the ref room and start in on us.  Happened at youth games too.  These people all know you so they thought they could just walk in and give you a piece of their mind.  I'd had enough and quit.

When I coach I don't yell at the refs.  I will call them over to ask them about a call and get an explanation sometimes, but it's just a conversation and I don't show the ref up.  Believe it or not, yelling at the refs won't get you a call but being nice to the refs will get you the benefit of the doubt in many calls.  Reffing is a hard job.

Oh, and that was No Goal.  No idea what that goal judge was looking at.

I called one a goal in OT that was super close in a squirt B1 game.  Funny how my phone number went around to local parents wondering about my call.

Didn't help that there was four guys standing 60 feet away in a corner (we have an Olympic rink) that came into the hallway yelling it wasn't a goal.

Now I get texts asking why I don't reff anymore because they are stuck with 12 and 13 year old pee wee kids doing games because its all they have. 

I've never reffed, but have served as a goal judge many times.  I was shocked at how difficult it can be to 100% determine if a shot when in.  With the goalie, the glass, the net, and the constant movement it's not easy.  Winger coming down the left wing, hard shot to the far corner that may or may not have caught the top corner while the goalie is sliding across, throwing out the glove/blocker, d-man screening...  Often times you can't see the puck leaving the stick to track it.

My worst goal (or not): A "three bell". 

I was at the blue line in a two-referee two-man crew. (Don't ask.) I saw the shot but was screened from the rest. I heard "pong-ping-pong" and signaled washout assuming pipe, crossbar, pipe. But the other official pointed and the goal judge light came on. We met and the other ref and the goal judge explained what I'd heard: The middle sound was the back bar, not the cross bar. Both had seen it. I had to explain my washout to one coach who wasn't happy and "said as much" to me. What gave me hope later is that coach's alternate captain skated past me and said it had gone in. ;) 

We do not speak of the day I quit officiating. 

I reffed for 5 years back in the 80’s. I enjoyed it for about 3 of those years then it got to be a job and didn’t want anything to do with it anymore. Enjoy coaching the game a hell of a lot better. The situation in Minot is a tough one. Happy for Bottineau/Rugby as I always like the underdog 

20 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

With video? That'd be great!

Looks like wday extra channel will play the Central and Red River games.  If you don't get that you can watch on inforum.com I believe.

Out west the Minot-South/Shanley game is on prostyle production network which you can get online or on youtube.

Not sure about Century-West Fargo for TV.