On 2/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Two classes:

AA:

GFC, GFRR, FN, FS/S, FD, WFS, WF

CHS, BHS, MHS, JHS, WHS

A:

G/PR, DL, MPCG, B/R, DHS, MHS, H/B  plus:

Watford City, Langdon, Wahpeton, Crosby

AA and A schools based on grades 7 - 10 male enrollment (2021 - 22)

AA East:

West Fargo Sheyenne – 843

West Fargo – 746

Fargo Davies – 708

Fargo South / Shanley – 690 (502 / 188)

Grand Forks Central – 637

Fargo North – 612

Grand Forks Red River – 540

AA West:

Minot – 1,133

Williston – 675

Bismarck Century – 699

Bismarck High – 675

Dickinson – 611

Mandan – 611

Jamestown / Valley City – 587 (394 / 193)

A:

Watford City – 305

Devils Lake – 251

Wahpeton – 235

Hazen / Beulah – 215 (98 / 117)

Bottineau / Rugby – 186 (91 / 95)

Grafton / Park River – 178 (118 / 60)

Langdon Area – 83

MayPort - 75

Crosby (Divide County) – 57

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

It isn’t “cool” to play hockey in grafton anymore. 15 years ago it was cool and the money was behind it 

Haha.  It isn’t “cool” to play hockey in Grafton anymore??  This couldn't be further from the truth.  You are right about one thing though - the money that was behind it is no longer there.

12 hours ago, NDNative said:

Declining enrollment, changing demographics, animosity towards Grafton, politics, parents, and loss of pride has hurt Grafton hockey.  Also, North Dakota high school hockey isn't what it used to be. 

Thanks for your perspective.  I was volunteering my time one year at a B2 state tournament my community was hosting and I did the PA announcing for a couple of games.  The one time I forgot to add the Park River to "Scoring for Grafton" I had six people outside the pressbox telling me it was essential to add the Park River to the Grafton. :lol:

When did the youth program become North Star?  My officiating days have since ended, and I never remember our teams playing "North Star", it was always Grafton.  

On 2/14/2021 at 10:34 PM, JakeLove said:

If all this HS hockey ran through USA Hockey in conjunction with the schools a multi-tier HS league would happen in about 15 minutes. 

As somebody who lives to the south of you, you do not want this.  If hockey is not designated as a "varsity" sport it is deemed not legitimate and is just a club recreational sport and league.  Ask those who live in South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. who play "varsity" high school hockey under USA Hockey.  South Dakota and Iowa HS teams can't even schedule Minnesota HS programs that they have grown up playing against throughout youth hockey because Minnesota won't allow it because Minnesota is varsity and South Dakota & Iowa is club.  It's okay to play Jr. Gold teams though.  Pretty much a joke.

North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan have legitimate high school hockey because it is a varsity sponsored sport in the state.  Fargo, Grand Forks, and other ND HS programs can schedule Minnesota programs because it is varsity hockey.  Organize it under USA Hockey and it becomes club and those games go away.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Thanks for your perspective.  I was volunteering my time one year at a B2 state tournament my community was hosting and I did the PA announcing for a couple of games.  The one time I forgot to add the Park River to "Scoring for Grafton" I had six people outside the pressbox telling me it was essential to add the Park River to the Grafton. :lol:

When did the youth program become North Star?  My officiating days have since ended, and I never remember our teams playing "North Star", it was always Grafton.  

Yeah, now that Grafton has kids from the surrounding area in their youth program they decided a couple years ago that it's necessary to make everyone happy so, they chose North Stars.  Apparently the animosity up there is off the charts.  It's gotten so bad that parents and kids outside of Grafton are pushing for the Spoiler name to be dropped all together.  It's obvious most parents and kids no longer care about the tradition and winning.  It's now all about their feelings.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NDNative said:

Yeah, now that Grafton has kids from the surrounding area in their youth program they decided a couple years ago that it's necessary to make everyone happy so, they chose North Stars.  Apparently the animosity up there is off the charts.  It's gotten so bad that parents and kids outside of Grafton are pushing for the Spoiler name to be dropped all together.  It's obvious most parents and kids no longer care about the tradition and winning.  It's now all about their feelings.

Could Park River and all those surrounding communities have enough for their own high school team if there were two divisions?  I'm guessing that answer is a likely no.  Years ago I remember there was a Walsh County Junior Gold team, can't remember when they stopped playing though.  

In my world Grafton not being the Spoilers would be like Minnesota not being the Gophers.  All the tradition behind the name, and I can't imagine how it could be found offensive to anyone.  I can't see Grafton schools dropping the name, maybe I'm wrong.  

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Could Park River and all those surrounding communities have enough for their own high school team if there were two divisions?  I'm guessing that answer is a likely no.  Years ago I remember there was a Walsh County Junior Gold team, can't remember when they stopped playing though.  

In my world Grafton not being the Spoilers would be like Minnesota not being the Gophers.  All the tradition behind the name, and I can't imagine how it could be found offensive to anyone.  I can't see Grafton schools dropping the name, maybe I'm wrong.  

Unfortunately, no being the surrounding communities are also facing one of the same problems I mentioned earlier - declining enrollment.  This year's GPR varsity team is made up of 12 players from Grafton, 4 from Park River, 3 from Cavalier, and 1 from Minto. Grafton has always had the vast majority of players since the coop started - some years were almost entirely Grafton players.  If Park River wanted to go solo, they would have to convince those who are currently feeding the Grafton program (Minto, Drayton, Cavalier, etc.) to join them and probably Langdon.  I don't see that happening. 

I agree the Spoiler name needs to stay.  

Moving to Thursday in the high school ranks:

EDC:
Central vs. Davies
RR vs. South-Shanley
WF High vs. North (Really hoping for the North kids this game can be played)
WF Sheyenne vs. GPR

Predictions:  Central, RR, WF, and WFS

WDA:
Century vs. Williston
Minot vs. Bottineau
Jamestown vs. Dickinson
BHS vs. Mandan

Predictions:  Century, Minot, Jamestown, BHS

I'll admit though I'd love to see Bottineau and Williston get to host first round games at the state tournament.

I've heard people like Mike Peluso say that the numbers aren't there for Legacy to have hockey as down the road BHS would be heavily hit.  I guess I'm not sure how its chosen where the Legacy, St. Mary's, or Shiloh kids play their high school hockey.  When I played BHS had a bunch of St. Marys kids on the team, but now the Curl kid plays at Century.    

Plus I'm told there isn't enough ice in Bismarck to have another JV and Varsity program.  

On 2/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, Wilbur said:

Moving to Thursday in the high school ranks:

EDC:
Central vs. Davies
RR vs. South-Shanley
WF High vs. North (Really hoping for the North kids this game can be played)
WF Sheyenne vs. GPR

Predictions:  Central, RR, WF, and WFS

WDA:
Century vs. Williston
Minot vs. Bottineau
Jamestown vs. Dickinson
BHS vs. Mandan

Predictions:  Century, Minot, Jamestown, BHS

I'll admit though I'd love to see Bottineau and Williston get to host first round games at the state tournament.

I was at the Jamestown/Bottineau game. I was very impressed with them. Beat Jamestown in every facet of the game 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I've heard people like Mike Peluso say that the numbers aren't there for Legacy to have hockey as down the road BHS would be heavily hit.  I guess I'm not sure how its chosen where the Legacy, St. Mary's, or Shiloh kids play their high school hockey.  When I played BHS had a bunch of St. Marys kids on the team, but now the Curl kid plays at Century.    

Plus I'm told there isn't enough ice in Bismarck to have another JV and Varsity program.  

When I was at Century, most of the St. Mary's kids played at Century with one at Bismarck. Didn't know of any Shiloh kids playing hockey.

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I guess I'm not sure how its chosen where the Legacy, St. Mary's, or Shiloh kids play their high school hockey.  When I played BHS had a bunch of St. Marys kids on the team, but now the Curl kid plays at Century.    

Divide Ave is the line. If you live South of it you play for Bismarck High.....North you play for Century.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Any word on Bismarck Legacy having a hockey team?  I heard that it should be coming soon. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

4 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Divide Ave is the line. If you live South of it you play for Bismarck High.....North you play for Century.

Legacy is happening, soon. No other way to go about it.

The school boundry lines are being redrawn in Bismarck, I believe they were finalized at the last school board meeting

Without Legacy the numbers at century are going to be unworkable without dozens and dozens of cuts.

The numbers aren't hurt that bad at BHS by Legacy, both teams are bursting at the seems for both varsiry and JV right now.

On one hand if Legacy didnt happen, century could legit compete for state title in the next 4 years.

But Legacy has to happen and will within 2 seasons.