SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 ND High School Hockey

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Hearing that Legacy will have hockey next season in Bismarck.

Believe it was Peluso that said Legacy hockey would kill BHS.  Bismarck residents, what say you?

It comes down to balancing giving more kids the opportunity to play versus potentially competing for championships.   With (3) teams they will be very watered down.  The chances of competing with the top east teams would be cut dramatically.  I personally don't buy into the argument that creating a 3rd team will cause kids not to play, or for more kids to take the junior route.

It's essentially the same situation with their girls team.

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

It comes down to balancing giving more kids the opportunity to play versus potentially competing for championships.   With (3) teams they will be very watered down.  The chances of competing with the top east teams would be cut dramatically.  I personally don't buy into the argument that creating a 3rd team will cause kids not to play, or for more kids to take the junior route.

Short-term hit, long-term gain.  It happens in growing suburbs all the time.  In a few years, they could all be contenders.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

I look at it as more opportunities for kids to play HS hockey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, siouxweet said:

I look at it as more opportunities for kids to play HS hockey.

The real question, is a high school hockey opportunity being created for kids who can or should be playing High school hockey.

At what expense?

So if you do have a group of kids that have trained, worked, strived, spent the time and effort in order to attain the skillsets and abilities to compete at the level of competitive High School Hockey....

what of these kids, does not just making more teams take opportunity away from them?

So the kids who have strived and earned opportunity must give to "create" opportunity to those that have not or are not able to....

Kind of a common theme in this country now...

BTW... with Jr Gold options, there was always a place to play for ALL kids in Bismarck.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The real question, is a high school hockey opportunity being created for kids who can or should be playing High school hockey.

At what expense?

So if you do have a group of kids that have trained, worked, strived, spent the time and effort in order to attain the skillsets and abilities to compete at the level of competitive High School Hockey....

what of these kids, does not just making more teams take opportunity away from them?

So the kids who have strived and earned opportunity must give to "create" opportunity to those that have not or are not able to....

BTW... with Jr Gold options, there was always a place to play for ALL kids in Bismarck.

So what is the measuring stick of who "can or should be playing high school hockey"? Only kids that have a shot at playing at the next level? 

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

At what expense?

Was talking to some parents of both Minot and Williston kids about this and I found a common theme of "this could really water down high school hockey in Bismarck."  I have no idea which Legacy kids play at BHS or Century, so I'm not going to dive into who it will hurt more (I would assume BHS, leave it there).    

Positives and negatives.  More kids get to play high school hockey.  I'll always champion more kids in activities.  Get away from the screens .    

At the same time I think it could cause a bit of an exodus of the kids from the Bismarck programs.  I mean, will Central and Red River continue to schedule BHS, Century, and or Legacy every year if those games are going to be 10-1?  Minot has seen a few kids leave after their Bantam AA year.  Common theme to be playing only 20 games or so at the high school level, and the quality of competition in the West Region not being what they'll see in Juniors or Midget operations.  Friend of mine has a kid who played 60 games at Tier 1 this year vs. what would have been a 22 game high school schedule.  Rambling aside, if you are a kid with aspirations of playing a higher level, and these non high school options come a calling, are you willing to stick it out playing for a lesser version of whatever school you go to in Bismarck?   

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, Wilbur said:

Was talking to some parents of both Minot and Williston kids about this and I found a common theme of "this could really water down high school hockey in Bismarck."  I have no idea which Legacy kids play at BHS or Century, so I'm not going to dive into who it will hurt more (I would assume BHS, leave it there).    

Positives and negatives.  More kids get to play high school hockey.  I'll always champion more kids in activities.  Get away from the screens .    

At the same time I think it could cause a bit of an exodus of the kids from the Bismarck programs.  I mean, will Central and Red River continue to schedule BHS, Century, and or Legacy every year if those games are going to be 10-1?  Minot has seen a few kids leave after their Bantam AA year.  Common theme to be playing only 20 games or so at the high school level, and the quality of competition in the West Region not being what they'll see in Juniors or Midget operations.  Friend of mine has a kid who played 60 games at Tier 1 this year vs. what would have been a 22 game high school schedule.  Rambling aside, if you are a kid with aspirations of playing a higher level, and these non high school options come a calling, are you willing to stick it out playing for a lesser version of whatever school you go to in Bismarck?   

Rumor is in order for BHS and CHS to accomodate Legacy on the schedule...  they had to give up games vs GF....so seems this is already the case.

There will be an exodus of those higher capable players to juniors from Bismarck... there just has to be now, less games vs EDC, which just waters down the programs more.

The WDA is very much watered down now and yes BHS is hurt a bit in the next few years (they maybe had a chance to compete for a 4th seed) but not nearly as bad as Century. Century is decimated by the split.

VERY real possibility no Bismarck teams make it to state next few years.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

So what is the measuring stick of who "can or should be playing high school hockey"? Only kids that have a shot at playing at the next level? 

Thats a tough question. No not "just" the very few who have a shot.

Technically... anyone can, figure it out.... and turn from being a low B C level player for the past 10 years to being able to compete at a varsity level.... but technically... I could win a beauty contest too.

Point is, the concept of creating opportunity for those that would not have a chance to make a high school team... at the expense of others is ... difficult to balance.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:41 PM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

It is high school sports.  Every high school should sponsor the sports they have the student-athletes to play in.  If Legacy has sufficient players to put together a team, they should.  Co-ops should only be used when a school does not have enough student-athletes to field a team. 

Would this opinion be the same for say.... Grand Forks?

So should another team be created to create opportunity for those that couldnt earn a roster spot?

This seems to be a need that is fulfilled already by a Jr. Gold Program.

But yes the difference is... a 3rd High School in Bis vs the 2 in GF... 

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Rumor is in order for BHS and CHS to accomodate Legacy on the schedule...  they had to give up games vs GF....so seems this is already the case.

There will be an exodus of those higher capable players to juniors from Bismarck... there just has to be now, less games vs EDC, which just waters down the programs more.

The WDA is very much watered down now and yes BHS is hurt a bit in the next few years (they maybe had a chance to compete for a 4th seed) but not nearly as bad as Century. Century is decimated by the split.

VERY real possibility no Bismarck teams make it to state next few years.

The gf schools don’t want to play Bismarck so this is a good move on everyone’s part 

• 1 month later...

Seems an appropriate spot for this.  I come up here to get my hockey talk fix because there is nobody to talk with on the Yote board.

USA Hockey Select 17 Camp is just finishing up.  Looking at the camp list is concerning.  I count 3 players from the Northern Plains district that were invited, 2 from North Dakota and 1 from Montana, 0 from South Dakota and Montana.  Of the 3 players invited, a goalie from North Dakota played last season for Omaha AAA, a forward from Montana played at Lawrence Academy (Mass Prep), and a defenseman from Williston HS.  There was a forward from SF Power but he's from New Mexico and went through the Rocky Mountain District.

The obvious question is obvious, why only 3 players from the Northern Plains District?  I realize it is based on registration numbers but only 3 spots?  No Grand Forks Hockey representation?  None from SD or WY?  There is a depth of good players in North Dakota (and even South Dakota) that were passed over simply because there are not enough "spots".  Northern Plains District should get a few more spots, especially when you consider Central District got 19 and Rocky Mountain got 12.  3 players from the Green Bay Jr Gamblers U16 team made it (one of them is listed as playing for the Chicago Steel).  You're telling me one team in Wisconsin should get as much representation as 4 states?

This does not help in convincing the best players in our respective states that they should stay home and play high school hockey and they will be recognized and can go somewhere from there.

LINK

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Seems an appropriate spot for this.  I come up here to get my hockey talk fix because there is nobody to talk with on the Yote board.

USA Hockey Select 17 Camp is just finishing up.  Looking at the camp list is concerning.  I count 3 players from the Northern Plains district that were invited, 2 from North Dakota and 1 from Montana, 0 from South Dakota and Montana.  Of the 3 players invited, a goalie from North Dakota played last season for Omaha AAA, a forward from Montana played at Lawrence Academy (Mass Prep), and a defenseman from Williston HS.  There was a forward from SF Power but he's from New Mexico and went through the Rocky Mountain District.

The obvious question is obvious, why only 3 players from the Northern Plains District?  I realize it is based on registration numbers but only 3 spots?  No Grand Forks Hockey representation?  None from SD or WY?  There is a depth of good players in North Dakota (and even South Dakota) that were passed over simply because there are not enough "spots".  Northern Plains District should get a few more spots, especially when you consider Central District got 19 and Rocky Mountain got 12.  3 players from the Green Bay Jr Gamblers U16 team made it (one of them is listed as playing for the Chicago Steel).  You're telling me one team in Wisconsin should get as much representation as 4 states?

This does not help in convincing the best players in our respective states that they should stay home and play high school hockey and they will be recognized and can go somewhere from there.

LINK

Down year? What birth year is that? I believe ausmus and panzer were invited.

2004 birth year

Ausmus went through Minnesota District and is listed as an EGF player.  I didn't see Panzer on this list but know he was in Sioux Falls for Stampede main camp so maybe he wasn't at Select 17 camp.  I had also seen his name as being invited.  Still, he'd also be an EGF/Minnesota District player.