SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

On 6/23/2020 at 7:01 AM, Blackheart said:

Sioux host the dirty Gofers at REA. This game was already posted but it was from the Gofer station with Gofer announcers. This one is the local Grand Forks feed with Sweeney so it is much better. :) Also, during the first intermission, they ask the UND coaching staff favorite memories about playing against Minny.

What a wild last 10min in this one. 
Thank you!

• Upvote 2

After getting past Tech in the quarterfinals, the Sioux face a familiar foe in DU at the WCHA Final Five in St Paul.  The bounces did not go their way so UND and CC end up in the sister kissing (3rd place) game.  Big picture here; the winner in this game will get #1 seed for the NCAA's.  Go Sioux!

• Upvote 2

February 22, 1980.  

Two great things happened.  

1.  USA beat the USSR in the Olympic Games.

2.  UND beat Michigan in the old Englestad Arena to clinch the WCHA title.  I was at the UND/Michigan game and everyone cheered when they heard the final score of the USA/USSR game, including both teams.   I think it happened before the game started.  Double happiness.  

• Upvote 2

The Sioux take on the Tigers of Princeton....ok, the sissies from Princeton in the first round of the NCAA tourney.  The Sioux were the top seed in the Midwest Regional held at the Kohl Center in Madison.

• Upvote 1

The Sioux face the Badgers at the Kohl Center with a trip to the Frozen Four on the line. This game was posted earlier but was not a very good version. Hopefully this one will be easier to watch.

Note: This is the last game of the 2007-08 season that will be posted. 

• Upvote 3

Came across just a couple more golden oldies...

The Hrkac Circus takes on Bucky Badger in game two of their WCHA series at the Old Ralph. Bucky looking for a little revenge after getting crushed on Halloween night.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

@Blackheart, once again thank you for posting these old games. They bring back a lot of great childhood memories.

My pleasure.  It's been a fun project, especially hearing people's personal stories about the games.  #FarcePoohbah

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, KS SIOUX said:

Anything with these 2!

image.jpeg.74f0e88f2cd3efa4dd370f468c6e8f8c.jpeg
Jim Archibald

image.jpeg.e925d4ed2c87fe30c3d8dac735d49efa.jpeg
Ian Kidd

There are a lot of Archibald stores. My favorite, watch Sioux play on Duluth. Archie was in penalty box. Puck dumped down ice just before he got out of the box. He skated from right to left, left his skates and wiped out Duluths goalie.  Then skated back to penalty box.

Pound for pound Ian Kidd was one of the toughest defenseman we had. He played the game well, but if it came to a fight. He was one of our toughest.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, burd said:

I'm old enough to remember back to Earl Anderson, Jim Cahoon, and Al Hangsleben, but watching these archived games is really a learning experience.  New (renewed) appreciation for Ian Kidd.  Hrkac's on ice intelligence quotient was through the roof.

Hockey in the late 80s was still very physical, but there seems to have been less chickensh*t stuff after the whistle.   I guess since the players weren't punished as severely for the big hits and fighting, they were less interested in small-time showy stuff like facewashes and stickwork.  It's good they are making the game safer and more wide open nowadays, so I'm not complaining about the way it is called now.  Just an observation. 

I may be wrong, but with the large increase in numbers playing the game in the States since the 70s, the game has gotten a LOT more competitive.  As good as they were, I don't see how those teams from the 80s would fare as well against the top teams today.   And I'm an old timer inclined to remember things as being better than they were. 

The conditioning alone is night and day compared to the 'old days'.  The guys now stay in shape year round and are constantly working on their game...their is no offseason anymore.

• Upvote 1

The Sioux, ranked number one for most of the season, take on the 'Smaht Kids' from Harvard in the 1987 national seminfinals (It was not called the Frozen Four yet) at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

The Sioux, ranked number one for most of the season, take on the 'Smaht Kids' from Harvard in the 1987 national seminfinals (It was not called the Frozen Four yet) at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

We'll see how well conditioned they are.  I just saw them play Wisconsin 30 minutes ago. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, burd said:

I'm old enough to remember back to Earl Anderson, Jim Cahoon, and Al Hangsleben, but watching these archived games is really a learning experience.  New (renewed) appreciation for Ian Kidd.  Hrkac's on ice intelligence quotient was through the roof.

Hockey in the late 80s was still very physical, but there seems to have been less chickensh*t stuff after the whistle.   I guess since the players weren't punished as severely for the big hits and fighting, they were less interested in small-time showy stuff like facewashes and stickwork.  It's good they are making the game safer and more wide open nowadays, so I'm not complaining about the way it is called now.  Just an observation. 

I may be wrong, but with the large increase in numbers playing the game in the States since the 70s, the game has gotten a LOT more competitive.  As good as they were, I don't see how those teams from the 80s would fare as well against the top teams today.   And I'm an old timer inclined to remember things as being better than they were. 

The speed of the game has changed tremendously over the years.  HS kids now play at the speed of the 90's college teams, and college teams play at the speed of the pro game in the nineties.  And the pro game now is crazy fast.  Add that to the equipment changes, especially goalie pad area, and toss in big goaltenders and yeah, the 1980's college teams would struggle to have a winning record.  And yeah, there is no off season any more.  

2 hours ago, 808287 said:

The speed of the game has changed tremendously over the years.  HS kids now play at the speed of the 90's college teams, and college teams play at the speed of the pro game in the nineties.  And the pro game now is crazy fast.  Add that to the equipment changes, especially goalie pad area, and toss in big goaltenders and yeah, the 1980's college teams would struggle to have a winning record.  And yeah, there is no off season any more.  

Yeah, watching that '87 semifinal game with Harvard it was hard not to see how much time and space there was at both ends of the ice, though some think that was the best UND team ever.  Just not the same game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After giving Harvard a real ass kicking, the Sioux take on defending champs Michigan State in the 1987 title game. Kind of a home game for Sparty at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit but I have a feeling our boys will prevail.

• Upvote 2