SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

43 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kinda kept waiting for someone to point this out....is it because they are wearing knitted masks like milano?

Funny you should mention that. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Shaming for anything disgusts me.  Mob mentality.  Gutless.  Extremely easy behind a computer keyboard too...

it amazes me how many people’s mindsets have never left junior high.  The social media movement simply encouraged that.  

wish the iPhone had never been invented...

well.... not all shaming is bad... i mean ... geez.... gopher fans.

....theres still a chance , with enough public shaming, they may come to their senses.

DI Sports Casualties

Cuts to date... 

Cuts attributed to Covid-19
Akron - Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Women's Tennis
Alabama-Huntsville - Men's Hockey***
Bowling Green - Baseball
Central Michigan - Men's Indoor Track, Men's Outdoor Track
Chicago State - Baseball*
East Carolina - Swimming and Diving, Tennis (Both Men and Women)
Furman - Baseball, Men's Lacrosse
Sonoma State - Women's Water Polo**
UW-Green Bay - Men’s and Women’s Tennis

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Before (Fauci):
A mask doesn’t matter.

Now (Fauci):
Wear a mask!

Before (CDC):
Highly transmissible on surfaces!

Now (CDC):
Not so transmissible on surfaces. 

And we keep going to them for expert advice. 

Finally weathercasters have someone to point at and say, “We’re more accurate than them!” :D 

What are the “Befores” before?  All the information they have gathered since?? This is NEW. They are learning more and more everyday. I think they deserve a break for not being 100% correct immediately but erring on the side of caution. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

What are the “Befores” before?  All the information they have gathered since?? This is NEW. They are learning more and more everyday. I think they deserve a break for not being 100% correct immediately but erring on the side of caution. 

I think we should let the 37 million people who have lost their jobs decide if the "experts" deserve a break.

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

I think we should let the 37 million people who have lost their jobs decide if the "experts" deserve a break.

Are you sure you want to ask all 37 million?   I’m not even sure you want to ask half. You might not like the answer

54 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

Early on, people were panic buying masks and screwing up the PPE supply needed by medical facilities. A message needed to be spread to the masses to ensure that there would be enough masks upfront to ensure medical professionals would have adequate supply. This message was taken of context to mean all masks are absolutely useless. 

The CDC has also been oddly quiet during this pandemic compared to prior pandemics. It is no new fact that a virus spreads faster through the air than through touching surfaces. The CDC explicitly stated their assumptions of this for COVID on their website in March and April. They knew of how long the virus sticks to a surface first, they now have better proof of the odds of transmission and infection from such surfaces. Some outlets paint reporting new information somehow as a misinformation campaign by the CDC.

Piece regarding CDC recommendations for schools. 
Kids and Teachers Are Going to Need Therapy if Schools Follow the CDC's Recommendations for Classrooms

Wear masks if over the age of two 
Discourage sharing of items or supplies that can’t be easily cleaned between uses 
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces between uses 
Develop a schedule for increased, routine cleaning and disinfection 
All belongings separated into individual cubbies or labeled containers 
Avoid sharing electronic devices, toys, games, or learning aids 
Desks should be 6-feet apart and all facing the same direction 
One child per seat on school buses and skip rows between riders 
Install sneeze guards or partitions where 6-feet-apart won’t work 
One-way routes in hallways 
Tape on sidewalks and walls to ensure kids stay 6 feet apart 
Close shared spaces like cafeterias and playgrounds 
Physical barriers or screens between sinks in bathrooms 
Children either bring their own meals or serve individually plated meals in the classroom 
Kids eat lunch in classrooms 
Virtual events in lieu of field trips 
The same children stay with the same staff all-day 
Avoid switching groups or teachers 
Stagger student arrival and departure times to limit crowds of kids 
Limit non-essential volunteers and visitors 
If possible, daily health and temperature checks

Source from CDC

Glad we homeschool our kids. 

10 hours ago, George M. Bluth said:

I get erring on the side of caution, and learning as days go on, but those are complete 180 flips. 

I suspect they were afraid to say “I don’t know” when they didn’t know and just took a SWAG at it.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Piece regarding CDC recommendations for schools. 
Kids and Teachers Are Going to Need Therapy if Schools Follow the CDC's Recommendations for Classrooms

Source from CDC

Glad we homeschool our kids. 

I saw this list....

Most of this list is unrealistic for the reality of school buildings/classroom staffing/classroom sizes/etc. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, George M. Bluth said:

Well, that’s enough for me!  Let’s keep the nation shut down for a full year to “err on the side of caution.”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I saw this list....

Most of this list is unrealistic for the reality of school buildings/classroom staffing/classroom sizes/etc. 

Illogical fits as well.

3 hours ago, keikla said:

This is probably pretty accurate.  I wonder what effect the CDC saying "I don't know" in the early days would have had on the stock market, general anxiety, panic buying, etc..  Would everything that happened just have happened earlier?  I'm not saying that to be facetious or contrary; I just think for the CDC to say something like that could have huge implications.  The alternative to admitting uncertainty, as we've seen, is that most people have completely lost any trust in the organization.

Being afraid to say “I don’t know” is the curse of the “expert”. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, keikla said:

My point was not that they themselves were afraid but rather the public response in a time of uncertainty when even the "experts" say "I don't know".

My boss is forever saying “don’t know, don’t guess”.

It only makes things worse. Look at what it has done to our economy. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, UND1983 said:

Was fascinated by the Forum article about all the small town MN people worried about ND people and their 50+ infections a day coming to their lake community.   

Where's the article about all these MN people coming from a state with 800+ infections a day to shop in Fargo and Grand Forks?  Seems like we should be a hell of alot more we worried about them coming here, if we are going to generalize.  

I believe that was in the herald with the grand forks sales tax receipts down 17%. 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic