SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise & Bracketology 2020

Fader

Dave Starman went off on a rant last night during the St Cloud game about how bad the ice is at the regionals because of what the NCAA does to it with the painting of the logos and not allowing the ice to set, etc. He wasn’t making excuses for St. Cloud losing to AIC but he did say the ice was really bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Dave Starman went off on a rant last night during the St Cloud game about how bad the ice is at the regionals because of what the NCAA does to it with the painting of the logos and not allowing the ice to set, etc. He wasn’t making excuses for St. Cloud losing to AIC but he did say the ice was really bad. 

It’s ok, St. Cloud needs all the excuses they can get. But honestly, I do remember in 14-15 and 16-17 when UND did make it to the Fargo regional that the ice wasn’t in the best condition. 

19 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

It’s ok, St. Cloud needs all the excuses they can get. But honestly, I do remember in 14-15 and 16-17 when UND did make it to the Fargo regional that the ice wasn’t in the best condition. 

Maybe the regionals should be allowed on campuses again? The facilities are dedicated to hockey and attendance issues might be avoided to a degree.  Not sure why the ice would be poor at Scheels Arena though, unless it really has to do with the short turn around with logos and ice setting up. 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:31 AM, UNDBIZ said:

The regionals are usually pretty dead.

That’s quite an understatement!  

I’ve seen livelier crowds at the Senior Citizens Center in Belfield during Sunday  afternoon round-robin pool matches!

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

That’s quite an understatement!  

I’ve seen livelier crowds at the Senior Citizens Center in Belfield during Sunday  afternoon round-robin pool matches!

No kidding during the 2016 regional in St. Paul the only group in the upper bowl was the Ferris state band. Which should have been moved downstairs. 

52 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

No kidding during the 2016 regional in St. Paul the only group in the upper bowl was the Ferris state band. Which should have been moved downstairs. 

My group of 4 was among the crowd of 275 in attendance at the Ferris State/Denver game.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:38 PM, Godsmack said:

Was there. I don’t think I’ve seen worse ice conditions during a college game ever. Puck was bouncing around everywhere. It was embarrassing 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, Cratter said:

Pairwise killer.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:26 PM, Cratter said:

What a year to not be hosting a regional! ???

Thanks OK.  I was told that last Saturday’s loss at St Cloud State was a pairwise killer anyways...

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Was there. I don’t think I’ve seen worse ice conditions during a college game ever. Puck was bouncing around everywhere. It was embarrassing 

I can see how something like that would work to an inferior team’s (AIC) advantage versus a good skating team like St. Cloud. 

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

"Pairwise killer" doesnt mean it bumps you out of the playoffs.

"1st to 18th place in one game!" :lol:

Well, you’re the one who called it a Pairwise killer, so maybe you could elaborate on that a bit...

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Pairwise Killer; a fun term to throw around when losing to crap teams. Which usually results in hurting your pairwise ranking.

Antonym: Pairwise Bump.

Losing to St Cloud State on the road was hardly this year’s Canisius College...

• Upvote 1

So we’re closer to Loveland than Allentown by 500 miles.  The question with both being flights is do they send us to Allentown with the number 7 seed PSU or to Loveland with the number 6 seed DU.  

Current seeding calls for some controversial moves within the brackets.  A UND vs DU final will make that region a success.  I’d also venture that a UND vs PSU final would also result in a successful region.

the UMass Clarkson half bracket would certainly move to Albany.

i think you do your best to protect the overall #1 in terms of bracket integrity (even if only 1 spot), so I’ve got:

Allentown:

UND vs Atlantic Winner

PSU vs BSU

Loveland:

mankato vs maine

DU vs OSU

Worcester:

BC vs Quinnipiac

UMD vs ASU

Albany:

Cornell vs Lowell

UMAss vs Clarkson

A side benefit is you have 4 conferences represented in 3 of the 4 regionals.  

21 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So we’re closer to Loveland than Allentown by 500 miles.  The question with both being flights is do they send us to Allentown with the number 7 seed PSU or to Loveland with the number 6 seed DU.  

Current seeding calls for some controversial moves within the brackets.  A UND vs DU final will make that region a success.  I’d also venture that a UND vs PSU final would also result in a successful region.

the UMass Clarkson half bracket would certainly move to Albany.

i think you do your best to protect the overall #1 in terms of bracket integrity (even if only 1 spot), so I’ve got:

Allentown:

UND vs Atlantic Winner

PSU vs BSU

Loveland:

mankato vs maine

DU vs OSU

Worcester:

BC vs Quinnipiac

UMD vs ASU

Albany:

Cornell vs Lowell

UMAss vs Clarkson

A side benefit is you have 4 conferences represented in 3 of the 4 regionals.  

I put UND in Albany to protect #1 overall from regional host teams.  BC to Worcester for attendance.  Quinnipiac and Lowell flip to avoid an intra-conference.  Mankato-Maine & Cornell-Lowell also swapped.

Northeast - Worcester
1) BC (4)
2) UM-Duluth (5)
3) ASU (12)
4) Quinnipiac (14)

East-Albany
1) North Dakota (1)
2) UMass (8)
3) Clarkson (9)
4) AIC (16)

Midwest - Allentown
1) Cornell (3)
2) Penn St (7)
3) Bemidji St (10)
4) UMass-Lowell (13)

West - Loveland
1) MSU-Mankato (2)
2) Denver (6)
3) Ohio St (11)
4) Maine (15)

8 minutes ago, Fader said:

I put UND in Albany to protect #1 overall from regional host teams.  BC to Worcester for attendance.  Quinnipiac and Lowell flip to avoid an intra-conference.  Mankato-Maine & Cornell-Lowell also swapped.

Northeast - Worcester
1) BC (4)
2) UM-Duluth (5)
3) ASU (12)
4) Quinnipiac (14)

East-Albany
1) North Dakota (1)
2) UMass (8)
3) Clarkson (9)
4) AIC (16)

Midwest - Allentown
1) Cornell (3)
2) Penn St (7)
3) Bemidji St (10)
4) UMass-Lowell (13)

West - Loveland
1) MSU-Mankato (2)
2) Denver (6)
3) Ohio St (11)
4) Maine (15)

But isn’t Cornell by proxy the host of Albany.  I believe it’s host is officially the ECAC...seems To me that they’d put the ECAC #1 seed there for that reason.  Like I said, current brackets will result in some controversy.  Be a lot easier if the committee just moved a regional to the Ralph - LOL

• Upvote 1

So fans.  Here lies the question:

Do you rather want Penn State in Pennsylvania, or Denver in Colorado.

IMHO they put Cornell in Albany so that's out of the question for us.  I think if Denver does something crazy like win the NCHC tournament and moves way up we will be in PA.

Funny how where our guys end up is controlled by how Denver plays until the NCAA tournament.  

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So fans.  Here lies the question:

Do you rather want Penn State in Pennsylvania, or Denver in Colorado.

IMHO they put Cornell in Albany so that's out of the question for us.  I think if Denver does something crazy like win the NCHC tournament and moves way up we will be in PA.

Funny how where our guys end up is controlled by how Denver plays until the NCAA tournament.  

Why not UMass in Worcester?  That would be my preference.