SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise & Bracketology 2020

Fader

50 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think they are talking about breaking a PWR tie using RPI, which is what the NCAA uses, per my understanding.

I think that is correct.  I'm still not certain why there is discrepancy between USCHO and CHN.  I did notice the DU/BC swap in pairwise even though BC's RPI is higher than DU's (according to the app).  When I looked this morning on the app BC was 5 and DU was 6.  That certainly makes a difference where UMD would be placed prior to the shuffling team exercise.

About the same as everyone else.  Used USCHO PWR for ranking.  Could see the committee swapping Albany & Worcester.

Northeast-Worcester
1) North Dakota (1)
2) UMass (8)
3) Clarkson (9)
4) AIC (16)

East - Albany
1) Cornell (3)
2) BC (6)
3) Ohio St (10)
4) Michigan (14)

Midwest - Allentown
1) MSU-Mankato (2)
2) Penn State (7)
3) UMass-Lowell (11)
4) Maine (15)

West - Loveland
1) Duluth (4)
2) Denver (5)
3) Bemidji St (12)
4) ASU (12)

1 hour ago, Fader said:

About the same as everyone else.  Used USCHO PWR for ranking.  Could see the committee swapping Albany & Worcester.

Northeast-Worcester
1) North Dakota (1)
2) UMass (8)
3) Clarkson (9)
4) AIC (16)

East - Albany
1) Cornell (3)
2) BC (6)
3) Ohio St (10)
4) Michigan (14)

Midwest - Allentown
1) MSU-Mankato (2)
2) Penn State (7)
3) UMass-Lowell (11)
4) Maine (15)

West - Loveland
1) Duluth (4)
2) Denver (5)
3) Bemidji St (12)
4) ASU (12)

I considered that also. Ultimately with UMass being essentially the same distance from Worcester as BC, I, personally, found it unnecessary for attendance purposes. 

41 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I considered that also. Ultimately with UMass being essentially the same distance from Worcester as BC, I, personally, found it unnecessary for attendance purposes. 

I agree.  Also, Cornell “should” be in Albany with this week’s pairwise.  This draw looks pretty solid.  I think the guys at USCHO will come up with something similar if not the same. 

9 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

So with the recent announcement from the NCAA in regards to COVID-19, I'm guessing brackets should be pretty straight forward considering "moving teams for attendance" is now moot. Only gotta worry about first round intraconference matchups.

Although, Air Travel or any public transportation may become as issue?

3 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

So with the recent announcement from the NCAA in regards to COVID-19, I'm guessing brackets should be pretty straight forward considering "moving teams for attendance" is now moot. Only gotta worry about first round intraconference matchups.

You would think, but it’s the NCAA we’re dealing with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been following this thread trying to feed my hockey jones.  https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthread.php?136059-2020-NCAA-Hockey-Tournament-What-If-A-Simulation-of-the-2019-2020-Postseason

Moy & Connelly  did their thing:

Albany
1 North Dakota
8 Clarkson
9 Massachusetts
16 Sacred Heart

Allentown
3 Minnesota State
7 Penn State
10 Mass.-Lowell
14 Western Michigan

Worcester
2 Cornell
6 Boston College
12 Bemidji State
15 Michigan

Loveland
4 Minnesota-Duluth
5 Denver
11 Maine
13 Ohio State

So..  Simulated Bracket Challenge??

2 hours ago, Fader said:

Been following this thread trying to feed my hockey jones.  https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthread.php?136059-2020-NCAA-Hockey-Tournament-What-If-A-Simulation-of-the-2019-2020-Postseason

Moy & Connelly  did their thing:

Albany
1 North Dakota
8 Clarkson
9 Massachusetts
16 Sacred Heart

Allentown
3 Minnesota State
7 Penn State
10 Mass.-Lowell
14 Western Michigan

Worcester
2 Cornell
6 Boston College
12 Bemidji State
15 Michigan

Loveland
4 Minnesota-Duluth
5 Denver
11 Maine
13 Ohio State

So..  Simulated Bracket Challenge??

If those were the actual brackets, my guess would be:

UND, Mankato, BC, and Denver to advance.

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

In that scenario... Bermidchee would have a heck of a great shot of coming out of it.

I'd have put money on the Beavers

I think Bemidji would have a good chance to get by Boston College.  They play a somewhat similar style to Maine, who had very good results against BC this year.  Of course, if they matched up against Cornell in the Regional Final, the game might start an infinite loop where the puck never leaves the neutral zone.  

37 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think Bemidji would have a good chance to get by Boston College.  They play a somewhat similar style to Maine, who had very good results against BC this year.  Of course, if they matched up against Cornell in the Regional Final, the game might start an infinite loop where the puck never leaves the neutral zone.  

My guess is that Michigan would have gotten past Cornell in the first round.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, brianvf said:

This. Cornell was possibly the most overrated team I can remember in college hockey.

Strength of schedule was abysmal.

Marriuci Cupcake Classic bad.

Honestly I'd give Cornell less than 5% chance coming out of that bracket. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

21 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This. Cornell was possibly the most overrated team I can remember in college hockey.

Strength of schedule was abysmal.

Marriuci Cupcake Classic bad.

Honestly I'd give Cornell less than 5% chance coming out of that bracket. 

I think you are both discounting Cornell too much.  They are ranked #3 overall in KRACH (Michigan is ranked 12th).  They curb-stomped Ohio State (which is ranked higher than Michigan and beat Michigan 3 out of 4 times this season), Michigan State (who Michigan lost to twice this season), and Clarkson (who Michigan lost and tied to), and made it through nearly 30 games with only 2 losses.  Michigan lost 14 games...and were barely above .500 in the Big Ten.  Unless of course you think the Big Ten is a true monster of a conference...I just don't see Cornell being overrated, and certainly would be favored against Michigan.

1 hour ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think you are both discounting Cornell too much.  They are ranked #3 overall in KRACH (Michigan is ranked 12th).  They curb-stomped Ohio State (which is ranked higher than Michigan and beat Michigan 3 out of 4 times this season), Michigan State (who Michigan lost to twice this season), and Clarkson (who Michigan lost and tied to), and made it through nearly 30 games with only 2 losses.  Michigan lost 14 games...and were barely above .500 in the Big Ten.  Unless of course you think the Big Ten is a true monster of a conference...I just don't see Cornell being overrated, and certainly would be favored against Michigan.

Cornell played a grand total of 3 games all season against teams that made the NCAA tourney, and never on back to back nights.
Michigan turned it on in the 2nd half, and were 7-1-2 in their last 10 games.  They played 12 games during the season against teams in the NCAA tourney.

IMO, Cornell was the definition of a team not battle tested against quality opponents.  Any team they faced in the NCAA would have been one of the best, if not the best, team that they'd faced all season.  That doesn't bode well for them rattling off multiple wins.

I'd take Michigan in that 1st round matchup.

1 hour ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I watched Cornell 4 times or more this season.

They are most definitely overrated. They "might" have hosted a home playoff in the B1G.... maybe.

They played 6 games against top 20 teams, highest rank Ohio state.

Cornell would not have advanced out of that region.

Being ranked 1 in the uscho poll is the definition of east coast bias. Its rediculous to believe they are even a 1 or 2 seed.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Cornell played a grand total of 3 games all season against teams that made the NCAA tourney, and never on back to back nights.
Michigan turned it on in the 2nd half, and were 7-1-2 in their last 10 games.  They played 12 games during the season against teams in the NCAA tourney.

IMO, Cornell was the definition of a team not battle tested against quality opponents.  Any team they faced in the NCAA would have been one of the best, if not the best, team that they'd faced all season.  That doesn't bode well for them rattling off multiple wins.

I'd take Michigan in that 1st round matchup.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Cornell only played 3 games against NCAA Tournament teams (at least according to my simulation), but went 3-0 against them, outscoring them 14-5.  As you noted, Michigan played 12, and went 4-6-2.  Michigan was also 7-1-2 in their last 10...but against Michigan State (x4), Minnesota (x2), Notre Dame (x2), and Wisconsin (x2).  Not really a murderer's row.  Cornell went 9-0-0 in their last 9, outscoring their opponents 40-12.  

Cornell this year reminded me of Harvard from 2016-2017.  A very strong ECAC team capable of winning it all.