SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Duluth -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

29 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Just a reminder to be safe out there in Duluth tonight.  The bars don’t close for another 2.5 hours and DrunkHockeyGuy is no doubt out there somewhere.  

Apparently, he isn’t drinking tonight.  I know it's hard to believe. 

I see a team that will make the FF.

Early we were clicking offensively. The first PP looked like a 1970’s Russian Army squad. That doesn’t happen on it’s own.

I think we’ll look back and think of all the talent in this group. Looks like a team that practices and plays hard, I can’t fault effort or what appears to be a team who used the off-season productivity. We look strong, in shape, and aggressive. 

Fortunately this year we have a team that knows how to score, but It’s when we've prioritized defense we’ve won. Focusing on hard D creates opportunities for a team with firepower. Play relentless D and we will get our points and the Ws

UMD has 1-2 true scorers so we won’t keep them off the board but Saturday we play defense, score 4 before UMD pulls their goalie, and win. 

I'm fairly new here, but one thing I have seen with this team is that when we do not have last change we are at a definite handicap.  Against Miami we could not match Sendin's line with the Miami top line and we were very handcuffed because of it.  Our other lines have just plain and simple got to do a better job defensively against the opposition's top line.  Let's face it most of the teams we play skate one usually really good line, maybe two and when we lack last change our lines other than Sendin, Smith and Hain haven't gotten the job done shutting down the opposition's top line.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I’d love to see it, but I’m just not seeing it. 

Wish I could believe UND will storm back tomorrow, but frankly, they have looked an AWFUL lot like last years' team since the break.  No confidence with the way they have been playing.

57 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Let's face it most of the teams we play skate one usually really good line, maybe two and when we lack last change our lines other than Sendin, Smith and Hain haven't gotten the job done shutting down the opposition's top line.

The Hain/Senden/Smith line was a combined -9 tonight, worst among all lines.  The Adams line was -8, Weatherby line was E, and Pinto line was +4.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/boxes/mmndndk1.j24

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

The Hain/Senden/Smith line was a combined -9 tonight, worst among all lines.  The Adams line was -8, Weatherby line was E, and Pinto line was +4.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/boxes/mmndndk1.j24

You are right, but on the other hand the Miller line was also +10 when Berry did not have last change.  An all around poor effort defensively tonight for UND.  I would argue that if this were a home game Berry would have matched Sendin line against them.  I feel that this last change issue also gets our top line of Adams, Guch and Mishmash out of their comfort zone.  I think what I am getting at is that not having last change really discombobulates this team. 

Since coming back from the break UND has a team save % of .819

Scheel is at .812

Thome in limited action is at .880

I don't care what level of hockey you play at those numbers rarely produce a good result.

The defense in front of these guys is an issue that contributes to these numbers but as mentioned previously in this thread Shepard made multiple big stops on Grade A chances last night. He wasn't great but really good when he needed to be.  IMO he was the difference last night.

58 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Since coming back from the break UND has a team save % of .819

Scheel is at .812

Thome in limited action is at .880

I don't care what level of hockey you play at those numbers rarely produce a good result.

The defense in front of these guys is an issue that contributes to these numbers but as mentioned previously in this thread Shepard made multiple big stops on Grade A chances last night. He wasn't great but really good when he needed to be.  IMO he was the difference last night.

I’m starting to put a twist on the current situation. We’re at a point where goaltending can’t be worse, this is rock bottom. Defense hasn’t helped, but I mean look at those numbers. We also know that Scheel especially is a fantastic goalie and Thome is a very solid #2. I truly believe this will benefit this team in the long run. A loss is a loss. You could make an argument better to be embarrassed. This will get everyone’s attention on the team. 
As weird as it sounds, when picking an aspect to completely melt down, I would think that a great goalie slumping in the middle of the year might be the best option.