SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Duluth -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Disappointing result and I think a lot of the problem was the guys just got too undisciplined in their play. Taking chances they didn't need to at times and trying for a home run type play when the smarter play was the safe play. Had a few chances to really put this one away right after going up 3-1 and Shepherd came up with some huge saves eventually allowing Duluth to survive the storm and take advantage of a couple opportunities and be right back in the game. Shepherd made the huge saves that Duluth needed and Scheel didn't. Shepherd came up with a couple big stops that would've made it 6-5 with 4 minutes left too. Scheel was left hung out to dry a few times but he is also just struggling in some ways right now too. His angles are off way more than normal and he has got caught back in is net instead of out challenging a lot lately. I thought Duluth's first goal should've been no goal but Scheel absolutely has to come up with a save on goals 4 and 5. The shorty for goal 2 was another one that Scheel probably takes care of most of the time too but he was off his angle. Guys gotta bounce back tomorrow night and find a way to get the win.

Spot on. Good post. I realize they hung Scheel out to dry a few times, but so did UMD and Shepherd made the stops when he needed. That’s the difference. Scheel has zero confidence right now and it is palpable. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Disappointing result and I think a lot of the problem was the guys just got too undisciplined in their play. Taking chances they didn't need to at times and trying for a home run type play when the smarter play was the safe play. Had a few chances to really put this one away right after going up 3-1 and Shepherd came up with some huge saves eventually allowing Duluth to survive the storm and take advantage of a couple opportunities and be right back in the game. Shepherd made the huge saves that Duluth needed and Scheel didn't. Shepherd came up with a couple big stops that would've made it 6-5 with 4 minutes left too. Scheel was left hung out to dry a few times but he is also just struggling in some ways right now too. His angles are off way more than normal and he has got caught back in is net instead of out challenging a lot lately. I thought Duluth's first goal should've been no goal but Scheel absolutely has to come up with a save on goals 4 and 5. The shorty for goal 2 was another one that Scheel probably takes care of most of the time too but he was off his angle. Guys gotta bounce back tomorrow night and find a way to get the win.

Yes, once they got ahead 3-1 they started cheating for offense, thinking everything they touched would turn golden.  Hopefully a hard lesson learned and we move forward from here.

1 minute ago, skateshattrick said:

Spot on. Good post. I realize they hung Scheel out to dry a few times, but so did UMD and Shepherd made the stops when he needed. That’s the difference. Scheel has zero confidence right now and it is palpable. 

This is absolutely spot on.

Scheel needs to make about half the break aways, and stand tall during the run of play, stopping anything the defense makes predictable.  Part of the problem is the defense making predictable, but the lion's share is with Scheel making the save.

1 minute ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Looks like we did.  I saw that number somewhere but its wrong.  The UMD preview says we are 3-10 in our last 13 which is just as bad.  

Yeah, we actually won 3 of the last 5.  It was before that we were struggling.

Sadly, the defining characteristics of Berry's teams seem to be giving up a goal within a minute of scoring (I have never seen anything like this - we do it consistently), not being able to hold a 2 goal lead, and a total second half melt-down.  How two big strengths - a studly defensive corp with 5 returners and a goalie that looked like the best in the land can turn around during a Christmas break is totally beyond me.  We win a championship and begin wandering in the wilderness while Duluth just keeps coming.  Time to get our crap together.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He’s gotta play.

TBH 24 hasn’t been himself since he’s been back either.  A lot of passengers since the break.  Scheel didn’t play good but a ton of their guys didn’t play good.  This was an all around melt down.  Casual fans typically blame the goalie, that’s fine they know no better.  This was a team collapse.  They need to figure it out. 

Said same about 24