SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I completely agree with you. I think our transition into the valley will be very until and tough to tell where we sit until we play the games. I do feel that those bottom end Valley teams and very poor, where last season we didnt have many "incredibly bad" teams on the schedule. Ya ya I get it the top end Valley teams are good, but take the Bison out of there and it's a slightly above average conference. I think WR will be fine. Maeg is a legit NFL. Cochran will be a legit shifty dude we have been missing in the past. Watch for Zavalney to step up be that missing piece. 360 guys like him and they have intel we don't. That with the 4-game freshman rule and we will be fine. I do agree with you though. All in all, we aren't very deep.

I saw Tom Miller a while back mentioned Zavalney moving to tight end to be a mismatch. Could be very similar to what we will have with Klein coming in.

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see Burian as a sleeper at WR. (Call him a poor man's Wanzek.) 

Lennon is at DE. He's a big body and solid BB player (hands). Why not at TE? Or is that because the kid from Mandan is the future TE? 

See and I know Burian has the speed, but everytime I go to practice he drops numerous passes. They love Lennon on the DL so he won't be going anywhere soon. Watch them flex Zavalney to TE when they need an athletic look.

There are several personnel concerns on offense for me, but I have confidence that Danny Freund will have it right by the Fall. Spring will be an important time to see how the offensive personnel comes together and uncover new talent. Quarterback position is rightfully the most critical and talked about, with three freshmen competing for the starting job. Next up, though, would be the offensive line. They need to show improvement under 2nd year offensive line coach Joe Pawlak as 2019 was simply not good enough based on the lack of a running game. As for the skill position players (RB/WR/TE), I think UND will be fine, but I'm not sure they will be explosive enough this year to be a top MVFC offense. The receiver corps was consistent last year but not explosive and the same went for the running back group. We will see if some hidden talent pops up within those skill position groups, because right now I expect consistent yet average play from backs and receivers. No "next level" talent that I see at those spots ... yet.   

As for the defensive side of the ball, I think the personnel is there for UND to have a solid MVFC defense, perhaps top 3. It will be interesting to see how Brent Holinka coordinates the group with Eric Schmidt now gone. 

Special teams: Brady Leach needs to take the next step - I still am not confident in field goal unit. Will be interesting to see how Adam Stage, transfer from SCSU, does. Cade Peterson at punter, continue to work. 

Rodgers and Bennett to me are the biggest losses from last year and the hardest to replace.  Here are my general thoughts comparing the upcoming year to what we had last year. 

OL - Better than last year:  We realized it was a massive mistake in having them lose weight, they've already added a lot of weight and we are now looking like we have a decent sized OL, and they have experience.  We've been waiting for years for this group to step up...hopefully this is the year.  Either way I see them better than last year.

QB - Huge question mark:  This one is hard to say if we are better, worse, or the same as last year.  Depth is obviously a lot worse as really nobody has experience.  Kett got a lot of complaints but he did some good things.  He was very accurate on those passes out in the flat and would hit guys in stride most of the time, which is key for those passes.  Whomever is the QB this year will be more mobile though, which will help.  We hopefully will no longer have plays where the QB runs backwards and just lays down for sack.  This is a make or break for the season, one of the young kids needs to step up.  Will be interesting to see if they have a few more things in for Boltmann this year, some easy pass plays to keep the defense somewhat honest when he is in there.  

RB: I'm going to say better than last year:   We lose JJ, but we will have Skokna for a full year, Weah hopefully, and I think Mitchell will likely get his shirt pulled, and of course there is Gee.  Would be nice to have a bruiser at RB too, but I think we will easily end up with more rushing yards that last year with this group, which a big part of it is the OL should be able to get a push.  Also still have McKinney as a RB/WR type.  Hope we go back to giving it to him on the sweep this year again.  I still don't understand why we went away from that from the previous year, was so successful.  I mean even Rudy saw that :) 

WR:  Big losses so is a question mark:  Definitely don't have the depth that we had last year, last year was probably the deepest we've ever had in a long time.  Obviously Wanzek is a huge loss, and Toivinen really had a great Senior year and was solid.  I do think some of the younger guys will step up however.  Nobody knew who Wanzek was and he came in and made big plays as a true freshman.  I think we have guys that can make plays, particularly Cochran.  Plus with Maag back.....Boltmann I think we will end up being pretty decent at WR.  Lots of opportunities for guys with little experience to step up, and I think they can.  Hopefully not too many injuries to this group this year though.  

DL - Loss of Bennett is huge.  However with the other guys putting on weight this year, and Bennett being injured for part of last year.....I think overall this may be a push from last year.  Good to see the NG's put on more weight so that we can hopefully hold our own up the middle and don't get pushed around.  

LB - Loss of Rodgers, again huge.  This group overall I'd say not as strong this year due to the loss of Rodgers.  Larson may step up even more, Turner is obviously a stud.  Shannon moving up to LB.  Will be interesting to see how they all perform.  Hard to fill that gab Rodgers provided however. 

Secondary - stronger than last year.  Holm coming back is huge, Seigal is a stud and will only be better this year.  Fort, Bluebaugh.....as solid as a two deep at CB as we've maybe ever had?  Fort is supposed to be a stud, with Holm and Seigal already studs...will be interesting to see how that plays out.  

Kicking game - all the guys are back from last year with a years more of experience, certainly can't get any worse so I'd say push on this one but am hoping for some improvement.  

Most every team in the country has holes they are trying to fill, and question marks in certain areas going into a new season.  Outside of the QB (just because we don't really know for sure what those guys can do) I'd say over all we will be solid.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Rodgers and Bennett to me are the biggest losses from last year and the hardest to replace.  Here are my general thoughts comparing the upcoming year to what we had last year. 

OL - Better than last year:  We realized it was a massive mistake in having them lose weight, they've already added a lot of weight and we are now looking like we have a decent sized OL, and they have experience.  We've been waiting for years for this group to step up...hopefully this is the year.  Either way I see them better than last year.

QB - Huge question mark:  This one is hard to say if we are better, worse, or the same as last year.  Depth is obviously a lot worse as really nobody has experience.  Kett got a lot of complaints but he did some good things.  He was very accurate on those passes out in the flat and would hit guys in stride most of the time, which is key for those passes.  Whomever is the QB this year will be more mobile though, which will help.  We hopefully will no longer have plays where the QB runs backwards and just lays down for sack.  This is a make or break for the season, one of the young kids needs to step up.  Will be interesting to see if they have a few more things in for Boltmann this year, some easy pass plays to keep the defense somewhat honest when he is in there.  

RB: I'm going to say better than last year:   We lose JJ, but we will have Skokna for a full year, Weah hopefully, and I think Mitchell will likely get his shirt pulled, and of course there is Gee.  Would be nice to have a bruiser at RB too, but I think we will easily end up with more rushing yards that last year with this group, which a big part of it is the OL should be able to get a push.  Also still have McKinney as a RB/WR type.  Hope we go back to giving it to him on the sweep this year again.  I still don't understand why we went away from that from the previous year, was so successful.  I mean even Rudy saw that :) 

WR:  Big losses so is a question mark:  Definitely don't have the depth that we had last year, last year was probably the deepest we've ever had in a long time.  Obviously Wanzek is a huge loss, and Toivinen really had a great Senior year and was solid.  I do think some of the younger guys will step up however.  Nobody knew who Wanzek was and he came in and made big plays as a true freshman.  I think we have guys that can make plays, particularly Cochran.  Plus with Maag back.....Boltmann I think we will end up being pretty decent at WR.  Lots of opportunities for guys with little experience to step up, and I think they can.  Hopefully not too many injuries to this group this year though.  

DL - Loss of Bennett is huge.  However with the other guys putting on weight this year, and Bennett being injured for part of last year.....I think overall this may be a push from last year.  Good to see the NG's put on more weight so that we can hopefully hold our own up the middle and don't get pushed around.  

LB - Loss of Rodgers, again huge.  This group overall I'd say not as strong this year due to the loss of Rodgers.  Larson may step up even more, Turner is obviously a stud.  Shannon moving up to LB.  Will be interesting to see how they all perform.  Hard to fill that gab Rodgers provided however. 

Secondary - stronger than last year.  Holm coming back is huge, Seigal is a stud and will only be better this year.  Fort, Bluebaugh.....as solid as a two deep at CB as we've maybe ever had?  Fort is supposed to be a stud, with Holm and Seigal already studs...will be interesting to see how that plays out.  

Kicking game - all the guys are back from last year with a years more of experience, certainly can't get any worse so I'd say push on this one but am hoping for some improvement.  

Most every team in the country has holes they are trying to fill, and question marks in certain areas going into a new season.  Outside of the QB (just because we don't really know for sure what those guys can do) I'd say over all we will be solid.  

Safeties- Starting should be solid with 2 returning Senior Honorable Mentions in Galvin and Canady (28 straight starts).  2 deep will be interesting with the development of Kauppinen, Caleb Nelson and JUCO transfer Connor Wilcoxen and a Freshman

19 hours ago, SiouxBundy said:

Safeties- Starting should be solid with 2 returning Senior Honorable Mentions in Galvin and Canady (28 straight starts).  2 deep will be interesting with the development of Kauppinen, Caleb Nelson and JUCO transfer Connor Wilcoxen and a Freshman

Is Haley Bucholz expected to get any playing time in 2020? He was a stud at Shanley.

Quick thoughts on some position groups before Spring Ball.

• Better than 2019 - Same reasoning for all four groups, they return so much. 
    • Offensive / Defensive Line
    • Secondary
  • Biggest Concern
    • Linebacker (Both ILB/OLB)

Most other groups QB / RB / WR / TE would probably trend a little closer to the "worse than" column than the "better than 2019" column, but right now it's really hard to say. I'm such a big believer in the lines playing such a crucial part that significant improvement (which I do expect), can go such a long ways. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Secondary
  • Biggest Concern

Most other groups QB / RB / WR / TE would probably trend a little closer to the "worse than" column than the "better than 2019" column, but right now it's really hard to say. I'm such a big believer in the lines playing such a crucial part that significant improvement (which I do expect), can go such a long ways. 

I really think QB/RB/WR will all have guys step up and we won't lose much as far as production. However, TE scares the sh*t outta me right now.....

4 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I really think QB/RB/WR will all have guys step up and we won't lose much as far as production. However, TE scares the sh*t outta me right now.....

Definitely agree. 

• Running Back: If things break correctly, this could be a really fun group. To me all eyes are on Weah. If he can remain eligible, this group could be very fun to watch. Mitchell being on campus is big too. The more I think about it, this group could be much better than last year. JJ is a big loss, but he was basically the only Senior that played. 
  • QB: Being the most important position by far on the field, it's strange how optimistic I am. Put me in the camp that thought Kett was above average last year, so I'd be surprised if this group was better than last year. I'm confident with three talented arms on campus that one will step up. 
  • Wide Receiver: These skill positions I'll always feel like you can have guys step in and get the job done. 

Between RB / WR you lose three key contributors and virtually no depth, a lot returning from those groups. 

16 minutes ago, AJS said:

Definitely agree. 

• Running Back: If things break correctly, this could be a really fun group. To me all eyes are on Weah. If he can remain eligible, this group could be very fun to watch. Mitchell being on campus is big too. The more I think about it, this group could be much better than last year. JJ is a big loss, but he was basically the only Senior that played. 
  • QB: Being the most important position by far on the field, it's strange how optimistic I am. Put me in the camp that thought Kett was above average last year, so I'd be surprised if this group was better than last year. I'm confident with three talented arms on campus that one will step up. 
  • Wide Receiver: These skill positions I'll always feel like you can have guys step in and get the job done. 

Between RB / WR you lose three key contributors and virtually no depth, a lot returning from those groups. 

As far as RB goes, I really don't think we can look at JJ as a huge loss, I know the line was subpar last year, but let's be real special backs make something happen and he really didn't create any opportunities for himself. Gee was "meh" and I see him as our 4th most explosive weapon in the backfield. Looking for Skokna, Mitchell, and Weah to make up the RB position next year with Gee spelling when need be.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, AJS said:

• Secondary
  • Biggest Concern

If both lines truly are improved,  then all other positions will look better as well. It all starts up front. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I just realized, our defense could be very stingy. Staying healthy will be key, but that's a really athletic crew for Hollinka to walk into.

I agree, hopefully White can adequately fill the MLB spot replacing Rodgers.  

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020-21 Football Season