SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber St GDT

southpaw

11 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

- Kudos to Kett, who has been excellent for weeks. No INTs for three weeks, I believe. He has taken a lot of abuse on this board, much of it deserved, and he deserves credit for the improvements he’s made. 

- As tough as it was to see Boltmann’s fumble, I will never fault a playmaker like Brock trying to make a play to help his team. We don’t know what the returners were told or not told to do by the staff on that kickoff, so to project blame on the ST Coach is misguided at best, but I give my best playmaker a chance to make a play every single time. 

Agree with everything you said.  And in particular about Kett, he has played really well lately.  He has his deficiencies but he has been playing really well.  I saw a Weber fan post on a Weber - UND game thread that he thought the UND QB played an incredible game.   I've been as hard on Kostich as anybody, but blaming him for the fumble is crazy.  I'd give Boltmann the green light to return that kick 10 out of 10 times, he is a helluva playmaker.  That said it was a brutal way to lose a game, especially that game.  The odds of fumbling the return and then kicking it forwards 10 yards......I mean i'm not sure if I've ever even seen that happen quite like that ever.  

Also Weber has a great returner, he was pretty well held in check.   

21 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Also Weber has a great returner, he was pretty well held in check.   

Great point. I hadn’t considered that. That kid is a stud and scared the crap out of me every time he touched the ball. 

PS: sorry to all about the large print in my previous posts (although helpful for people of a certain age)!

Ozzie82.  It summed the game up beautiful.  Gut wrench defeat.  That said the team played their heart out and fought their way back in the lead.  Many different single plays with a different outcome and we win.

This team at the level it has played the last 2 games is a top 10 team for sure.  The improvement has been great.

I want us to win out and get a playoff game because I know they will win at least one maybe 2 depending of the second opponent.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, RobThomas said:

Northern Colorado and Southern Utah have not done well this season but let's not take them for a simple cake walk. They really have no pressure and lm sure they know about UND needing to finish Strong. They may not just lay down. UND can't go into these games comfortable.

UND absolutely should not go into these games comfortable. The need to win 40-0 should create plenty of pressure. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, RobThomas said:

These two teams have nothing to lose they can play free no stress football and be spoiler to any playoff hopes. This can possibly be a tough situation if UND looks past them thinking they are just going to lay down give them the game and 7-4. 

No sandbagging before these games. Zero excuses. Prove they belong. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RobThomas said:

These two teams have nothing to lose they can play free no stress football and be spoiler to any playoff hopes. This can possibly be a tough situation if UND looks past them thinking they are just going to lay down give them the game and 7-4. 

If this team is looking past ANYONE, there are much deeper issues.   

Does anyone have video of the Maag touchdown that was called back for interference? My feed was messed up and I just had audio and when it came back they didn't show a replay. It didn't look like Maag or the sideline were arguing too much but I missed seeing that play.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

If this team is looking past ANYONE, there are much deeper issues.   

I agree.  They should be pissed off after that loss to Weber and want to take it out on the next opponents.  That means play hard every single play and take it to them play after play after play, and don't let up until the clock shows 00.00! 

51 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Seems like better odds to win the lottery than this happening.  Just unbelievable. 

kostitch should've told the returners that if that ball lands anywhere inside the five let it go into the endzone and and don't touch the GD ball under any circumstance!!!!  take the ball at the 25 and let the offense win the game!!!! to say that this isn't kostitch's fault are just stupid.  the offense was clicking.  

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kostitch should've told the returners that if that ball lands anywhere inside the five let it go into the endzone and and don't touch the GD ball under any circumstance!!!!  take the ball at the 25 and let the offense win the game!!!! to say that this isn't kostitch's fault are just stupid.  the offense was clicking.  

Meh, you give your best player a chance to win the game. I'll still take any opportunity I get to call for Kostich's removal though. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Meh, you give your best player a chance to win the game. I'll still take any opportunity I get to call for Kostich's removal though. 

let the ball go you are guaranteed the ball on the 25...no penalties, no injuries, no fumbles...no risk... i would say if at that point we were down 7 or if we had only scored 6 points all game let him have a go...but at that point if the ball crossed that line you let it go 100 times out of 100....

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

let the ball go you are guaranteed the ball on the 25...no penalties, no injuries, no fumbles...no risk... i would say if at that point we were down 7 or if we had only scored 6 points all game let him have a go...but at that point if the ball crossed that line you let it go 100 times out of 100....

You're using hindsight to justify an opinion that, as usual, no amount of reason can turn you from. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Coach is taking the heat. But he is not returning the kick it all Can't be Coach fault. I know there isn't much love for Coach K. Doesn't the returner have at least share some responsibility. 

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Your using hindsight to justify an opinion that, as usual, no amount of reason can turn you from. 

there is a reason why we will be watching other FCS teams in the playoffs and not UND in a couple of weeks because of coaches decisions like...the playoff teams will play smart situational football where UND just rolls with a guy that way out of his league.

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I'll take my chances 100 times out of 100 on one of our best athletes getting the ball in space.

Hindsight is wonderful in this case but I still want him to try that and not be ultra conservative.  That's the Rudy ball everyone complains about.

Taking the automatic fair catch on the last punt of the game was a killer for the Cowboys last night.   Cost them at least 20-30 yards and maybe a score.

Here's what he had in front of him.

image.png.1f6c01742810d66d7498db4d7f7e5b10.png

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I'll take my chances 100 times out of 100 on one of our best athletes getting the ball in space.

Hindsight is wonderful in this case but I still want him to try that and not be ultra conservative.  That's the Rudy ball everyone complains about.

Taking the automatic fair catch on the last punt of the game was a killer for the Cowboys last night.   Cost them at least 20-30 yards and maybe a score.

Exactly this

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

He would've had a decent amount of space.  However, his hand went up so early that several players were at a slow jog by the time he caught the ball.  

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

BS. This is pure hindsight. You field the kick just like every other kick. You don’t coach your players to have a loser mentality. You want them confident and loose.

situational football...ten minutes left in the game sure...run it out...opening kickoff run it out...less than 3 minutes left with no to's if you fumble that kickoff you gonna lose. don't touch the ball.