SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2019-20

Might as well get this started.

First question...what the heck is going on over at Red River?  https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4739125-Red-River-boys-hockey-coaching-job-reopens-Ryan-LaDouceur-to-take-job-with-UND-hockey  Did UND cold-bloodedly poach him?  Is this a character issue (what kind of coach leaves a HS -- their alma mater, no less -- high and dry 2 weeks before the season), is this a culture issue at RR (long time coach gone under cloud of controversy, can't hold on to the replacement, what next?), or maybe a little of both?  Does anybody come out of this smelling like a rose?  Should non-teacher coaches even be considered for HS/prep jobs?

I believe Minnesota boys hockey starts on Monday Nov 11.  Guessing ND is behind that by a week (or two).

Any big story lines this year?  Any team challenge Central?  Where does RR end up? For my curiosity, can a small ND town like Grafton ever win again?

I believe EGF has a former RR goalie that should've played last year for them.  They also have Panzer and hopefully Parker is healthy finally.  I see on schedule that Bismarck has been added.  Seems odd add as playing GF teams 4 times already is a lot of out of state.  Most of their other opponents out of section are state participants so a challenging schedule again.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Smoggy said:

I believe Minnesota boys hockey starts on Monday Nov 11.  Guessing ND is behind that by a week (or two).

Any big story lines this year?  Any team challenge Central?  Where does RR end up? For my curiosity, can a small ND town like Grafton ever win again?

I believe EGF has a former RR goalie that should've played last year for them.  They also have Panzer and hopefully Parker is healthy finally.  I see on schedule that Bismarck has been added.  Seems odd add as playing GF teams 4 times already is a lot of out of state.  Most of their other opponents out of section are state participants so a challenging schedule again.

ND high school hockey starts tomorrow 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just irritated by more and more kids choosing not to play ND high school hockey.  I know its discussed at the coaches meetings, but something seriously needs to be done.  Double class system, more games, statewide league....I don't know..... 

In Minot I know of at least four kids that have went the midget hockey route.  And those are all kids who have strong ties to the Minot Hockey community.  

And then you'll have of all names...a Panzer playing AGAINST GFC this year for East Grand. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm just irritated by more and more kids choosing not to play ND high school hockey.  I know its discussed at the coaches meetings, but something seriously needs to be done.  Double class system, more games, statewide league....I don't know..... 

In Minot I know of at least four kids that have went the midget hockey route.  And those are all kids who have strong ties to the Minot Hockey community.  

And then you'll have of all names...a Panzer playing AGAINST GFC this year for East Grand. 

I’m 100% with you on this and share your frustration. It’s getting worse every single year. Even when there are examples of kids who stayed through their SR in both the east AND west and made it D1. Then the large majority of these kids who leave early to sit on the bench of a crap jr team and kill their careers. Hard to comprehend what these parents are thinking by pushing their kids out early to ruin their development. 

Why not stick around and learn how to be a leader of a team, score a ton of points and finish out high school with your lifetime friends. There’s plenty of time to go play hockey after that. I too often see kids leave too early get beat down and ruin their development. 

if you’re good enough, they’ll find you anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 11/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, Wilbur said:

So frustrating. Heck we had a kid from here who I have coached in peewees for 2 years leave to play AAA in Sioux Falls and he just turned 14. I absolutely hate it 

• Like 1

If you want to be the best you have to play the best.

AAA hockey is the best competition you can find at any level in the US. Grand Forks may want to look into a AAA Team and league. I wouldn't even let my son play high school hockey in Ill. As it was such a drop in competition. The only Mn. team that was any competition was Shattucks and we beat them in a weekend series.

There a lot of canadian teams in the area for AAA league.

If you want to be the best you have to play the best.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, sioux rube said:

So frustrating. Heck we had a kid from here who I have coached in peewees for 2 years leave to play AAA in Sioux Falls and he just turned 14. I absolutely hate it 

Don't blame the kid, blame the system.  I'm sure he'd rather be at home playing hockey with his friends and sleeping in his own bed than billeting in Sioux Falls.

6 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Don't blame the kid, blame the system.  I'm sure he'd rather be at home playing hockey with his friends and sleeping in his own bed than billeting in Sioux Falls.

He tells me he loves it and will definitely be going back next season. We shall see 

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Thank god panzer switched to EGF to play against the highly touted Crookston team...because those RR and Central games weren’t competitive enough. 

Oh, but hey, Davies is no good...currently taking central down the the wire just like EGF did. But ND hockey sucks. 

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...