SiouxSports.com Forum

Next up Idaho State

forksandspoons

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

UND needs to shore up the penalties. There were a number of drives stalled because of penalties last week. They even overcame a couple penalties to maintain drives but life would have been easier without them.

Penalties and turnovers ... the difference makers. UND has to come out on top in these two categories in order to come out on top in terms of the overall match up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offense needs to take another step in this game. Danny seems to be finding a nice grove in games. Need better execution from players and less going into a shell at critical moments.

Danny got in a groove in second half against EWU, and first have against Davis......hopefully this week we'll have some consistency all the way through.  Although we may not have a first half, as good as last week, all year.  We just can't have those spells where we go multiple series in a row going 3 and out.  Especially since we don't have a punter...even if we don't score...have to move the ball a little, give the defense a rest....gain field position and slow the other teams roll. 

And I agree on cleaning up penalties.  Last week I think we overcame penalties 3 times in the first half to get a first down, you're not always going to do that.....and we didn't in the second half.  Think we had 3 false starts last week....and that might have been in first half alone.  

Having a real offensive coordinator gives me more confidence that we will find a way to win this game even if we have some things go the other way.  I know we all thought the UC Davis game should have never been that close, but that win and the SHSU win help give the team more confidence in these close games and when things go wrong.  The way that 2nd quarter of the SHSU game went I thought we were done, had seen it too many times before but they bounced back.  

• Upvote 1

We have been asking to see more and more to Mckinney, and have gotten a bit more over the past week or so. I have yet to see him break a big santiago type run, but maybe it will come soon.

I do wonder if we should start using Boltmann on more of the jet sweep and swing pass plays. Kid had deceptive speed and is pretty shift for his size. I just want to see him get the ball as much as possible, kid can make plays, and seems to have that x factor/football sense that you just can't teach.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

We have been asking to see more and more to Mckinney, and have gotten a bit more over the past week or so. I have yet to see him break a big santiago type run, but maybe it will come soon.

I do wonder if we should start using Boltmann on more of the jet sweep and swing pass plays. Kid had deceptive speed and is pretty shift for his size. I just want to see him get the ball as much as possible, kid can make plays, and seems to have that x factor/football sense that you just can't teach.

Yes both SHSU and UCD left a few jstraps on the field after Bolt's runs.

Just noticed this..  UND/Freund has been getting it done in the red zone this year... 

Touchdowns-Red Zone Opportunities
Drake 4-5 
NDSU 1-1
SHSU 3-3
EWU 3-3
UCD 4-5

Red Zone Scoring 5-5 1-1 3-3 3-3 4-5.  UND has scored points in every red zone appearance but one!  And only one of those was a field goal instead of a td!

This is extremely impressive.

Edit: Just checked the NCAA stats, and UND is 12th in the country in red zone scoring percentage.  Can't find TD percentage, but I'm thinking this has to be first...
Relating this to the Idaho State game, Idaho State ranks first in Red Zone Scoring Percentage, scoring at a 100% clip.  However, out of 11 red zone appearances, 5 of their scores were from field goals (also 2 rushing TD and 4 passing TD).  ISU is 11 for 11 and UND is 16 for 17

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I hope the team is taking off soon. 1-3 ft of snow projected for the region. Maybe they will bus out tonight and leave from a less wintery location tomorrow. 

I wouldn’t want to be a farmer, rancher or hunter in those areas. Harvest is already behind and very wet.

Saw on Twitter they charter out tomorrow. 

God and weather permitting.

33 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah no travel advised and school is cancelled. So we might be looking at a 10 game season?

That would be just our luck.  We are already playing one less game than many schools.  If we went 6-4 instead of 7-4....you know they'd love to leave us out. 

16 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I hope the team is taking off soon. 1-3 ft of snow projected for the region. Maybe they will bus out tonight and leave from a less wintery location tomorrow. 

I wouldn’t want to be a farmer, rancher or hunter in those areas. Harvest is already behind and very wet.

The team will make it out. Farmer and Ranchers have a more challenging game plan.
Even home owners in GF with keeping their basements dry.

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The team will make it out. Farmer and Ranches have a more challenging game plan.
Even home owners in GF with keeping their basements dry.

I hope the team gets on that plane earlier than later. I just got off the phone with my Dad in Devils Lake and he thing there is a foot of snow at his house.

21 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I hope the team gets on that plane earlier than later. I just got off the phone with my Dad in Devils Lake and he thing there is a foot of snow at his house.

I feel bad for farmers and those with basements in the wet areas.  Much of this snow will melt in the next 10 days.  Flooding and many crops not harvested.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

of course us here in the Williston banana belt a couple of flakes.