SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

4 hours ago, MIBT said:

How do you see the NCAA stealing from the colleges. The NCAA is the colleges. It's a membership organization and they collectively decide what rules and arrangements they want. The NCAA is not some separate entity that provides rules the schools have to follow.

LOL!!!!!!   This might be the post of the year.  Membership organization......is this pelosi behind the keyboard?

4 hours ago, MIBT said:

How do you see the NCAA stealing from the colleges. The NCAA is the colleges. It's a membership organization and they collectively decide what rules and arrangements they want. The NCAA is not some separate entity that provides rules the schools have to follow.

Good point. I guess I believe more of the revenues should be returned to the schools. It’s complicated because of individual contracts with schools or conferences so they likely don’t have the same control as I would have thought. The power 5 conferences have recaptured a lot of the control the NCAA was starting to have. 

On 1/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

They can.  Look at the post I responded to.   Sports were such a burden in bison73's scenario that he expected to be paid for sitting on an airplane or eating a free meal or staying in a nice hotel while on the road.  Among other ridiculous ideas.  

You mean like when people who travel on business?  

But I never said or inferred that we should have been paid for those hours.  It was just a part of a laundry list showing where ones time is spent as an athlete.

46 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You mean like when people who travel on business?  

But I never said or inferred that we should have been paid for those hours.  It was just a part of a laundry list showing where ones time is spent as an athlete.

First of all, people who are paid by the hour (as you were using hourly pay in your example), don't travel on business.  You were suggesting college athletes should be getting free meals and trips, and also counted those hours towards your minimum wage example.  I get what you were saying, but i felt you went a little too far with your examples.  

11 hours ago, bang said:

Any regulatory organization can be restrictive to the point that it feels like stealing. In this case I believe the are too restrictive and they over charge. They’ve got a lot of highly paid people not doing a lot. 

The NCAA does not have a lot of highly paid people. If you work at the NCAA you are generally making less money and working more hours (especially nights and weekends) than most people in similar types of positions in other organizations. When you say over charge are you referring to tickets to events? The only events that generate revenue for the NCAA is sport championships. That does not include the CFP championship as that is run outside the NCAA. Ticket prices for regular season games are revenue for individual schools. Just because you see coaches at the top programs in 3 or 4 sports getting big salaries doesn't mean a lot of people are getting paid a lot of money in NCAA, conferences or school athletic departments.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux27 said:

LOL!!!!!!   This might be the post of the year.  Membership organization......is this pelosi behind the keyboard?

All the rules and policies come from the universities at their annual convention. Representation at that event is by schools (usually presidents or their proxy). These aren't executive policies made by the leadership at the NCAA office in Indianapolis. So the collective members decide what rules they want to play by. All the crazy recruiting rules? The same people complaining about those rules are collecting creating them to keep their competition honest. That doesn't mean everyone agrees with everything, but it's important to understand what the NCAA actually is.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MIBT said:

The NCAA does not have a lot of highly paid people. If you work at the NCAA you are generally making less money and working more hours (especially nights and weekends) than most people in similar types of positions in other organizations. When you say over charge are you referring to tickets to events? The only events that generate revenue for the NCAA is sport championships. That does not include the CFP championship as that is run outside the NCAA. Ticket prices for regular season games are revenue for individual schools. Just because you see coaches at the top programs in 3 or 4 sports getting big salaries doesn't mean a lot of people are getting paid a lot of money in NCAA, conferences or school athletic departments.

Maybe I got some bunk info, but what I’ve read was that Emmert made 4 mil in 2018 and 11 executives made in the upper 6 to low 7 figures. What I was referring to was membership fees. Again, I know I shouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet but read an article a while back about some ridiculous fee hikes. 
You sound like you might have better info than what I’ve read. 

1 hour ago, bang said:

Maybe I got some bunk info, but what I’ve read was that Emmert made 4 mil in 2018 and 11 executives made in the upper 6 to low 7 figures. What I was referring to was membership fees. Again, I know I shouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet but read an article a while back about some ridiculous fee hikes. 
You sound like you might have better info than what I’ve read. 

President of a very large organization... I expect he is probably paid what they think he is worth.

Pretty thankless job, nobody likes the NCAA itself lmao

57 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

WOW.... not sure how I feel about this.....do colleges do “cost of attendance” for non-athletes??

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Pretty simple....do regular students get cost of attendance?  

Why would they? The question makes no sense. CoA is provided to athletes because they are limited on what they can do to earn any kind of income while in college unlike regular students.

2 minutes ago, Feff said:

Why would they? The question makes no sense. CoA is provided to athletes because they are limited on what they can do to earn any kind of income while in college unlike regular students.

The question make sense - its a f'n straight forward question.  The answer might deem the question stupid but the question is very simple and one that might be asked by someone who doesn't understand college athletics in this day and age.

57 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The question make sense - its a f'n straight forward question.  The answer might deem the question stupid but the question is very simple and one that might be asked by someone who doesn't understand college athletics in this day and age.

Thank you.... do you think a 4.0 student in a science program who is paying her/his own way, other than academic scholarships, would wonder why??? We are talking about public dollars or are these private/foundation dollars.

41 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Thank you.... do you think a 4.0 student in a science program who is paying her/his own way, other than academic scholarships, would wonder why??? We are talking about public dollars or are these private/foundation dollars.

No, because they should be smart enough to know that when they are in the lab doing their science thing there is nobody in the stands and there are no businesses using it as a platform to advertise. They also don’t provide any value to the school with their extracurriculars unlike athletes.

• Upvote 2