SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

5 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Word is they're going with the high school coach.

Spoke too soon. Now leaking that they're going with Doug Phillips. Who knows if true, but some insiders saying the HS coach wanted more money for assistants, so they went with the other guy. 

Phillips's resume:

COACHING CAREER
YEAR: SCHOOL - POSITION
1991-92: Youngstown State - Graduate Assistant
1997-2000: Springfield Local HS - Head Coach
2001-05: Salem HS - Head Coach
2006: Ohio State - Quality Control (Defense)
2007-08: Bowling Green - DE/Recruiting Coord.
2016: Iowa State - Director of Player Personnel
2017: Cincinnati - Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2018-: Cincinnati - Running Backs

9 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Spoke too soon. Now leaking that they're going with Doug Phillips. Who knows if true, but some insiders saying the HS coach wanted more money for assistants, so they went with the other guy. 

Phillips's resume:

COACHING CAREER

That is a fairly weak resume.  

11 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Phillips's resume:

COACHING CAREER

Was he out of the game 2009-2015?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

I thought playing for the Bison was the top of the football mountain?? Huh, who knew??

#BISONPRIDEUNTILIFINDSOMETHINGBETTER

I would bet he ends up in Kansas State or Wyoming.  Maybe UND will be playing against him at the KSU game.  Bison must be scratching their head.  Lol

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I would bet he ends up in Kansas State or Wyoming.  Maybe UND will be playing against him at the KSU game.  Bison must be scratching their head.  Lol

Nope.  I understand it. My only surprise was making the announcement this late.

There is also no guarantee he will transfer. The situation has to right so he can elevate his draft stock.

4 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Nope.  I understand it. My only surprise was making the announcement this late.

There is also no guarantee he will transfer. The situation has to right so he can elevate his draft stock.

That was my first thought when I saw this

kick the tires around, see what is out there, if it is nothing that is advantageous or to your comfort level, you can always come back. 

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Those seem like logical choices.

It depends on what his goals are with transferring if that’s where this ends.

Given his accolades, I think transferring might actually hurt his draft stock. He shows up late, has to adapt to new living conditions, new teammates, a higher level of competition and possibly slightly different terminology even if he goes to KSU. It’s unlikely that he would have his best season.

I wish him incredible success regardless of what the future holds for him, he’s an all-time great already in my book. If he is simply fulfilling his dream of playing FBS than good for him for chasing that, but if he’s getting advice that this will somehow improve his draft stock, I think it’s more likely to do the exact opposite.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I would bet the house he doesn't end up at Wyoming. That would do nothing for his NFL prospects. Plus, he has no ties to Bohl or that staff. Klieman recruited him to NDSU. My prediction would be he does leave, just a matter of where. Big 10, SEC or Big 12 would be my guess. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, homer said:

With the kid the best.  

While this rule is not new by any stretch, the more relaxed the transfer rules get, the more of a norm this will become for smaller schools.  He has definitely earned the opportunity.  

I agree. I wish him the best.  But is is a good reason if the kid is at all good enough to contribute right away as a true freshman, play him. 

19 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

you think there is a chance he goes to Wyoming? Jesus

He's taking a risk that may or may not pay off. Right now he's proven he is an excellent player against the caliber of player blocking him and he's trying to tackle. He would have had a shot at Oregon next Fall to prove it against higher competition. Depending on where he goes though he'll get to prove it multiple times.

Drafting is risky for NFL teams. The higher level you've proven it against the less the risk. If a QB has excellent stats at Minnesota State against good D2 teams, does that mean he's as good as the QB at UND who has similar stats against MVFC defenses? Maybe but you can't be 100% certain. If he has a similar level of success as he has at NDSU, it will improve his draft stock. If he struggles and doesn't start it will hurt his draft stock.

When I read his tweet last night this is much about the opportunity to fulfill a dream to play at an FBS school. Let's say he goes to Wisconsin. He'll play 6 home games at Camp Randall stadium in front of a packed house. Road games include the Big House in Michigan, Notre Dame at Lambeau Field, Northwestern at Wrigley Field, and Iowa. Those are some pretty cool experiences. If he does well he has a chance to move up to a 1st or 2nd round pick which will be a nicer rookie contract. There is never a guarantee for the second contract.

23 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I would bet you're wrong....that fact you even mentioned Wyoming is so hilarious, I am still not sure if you're joking. 

22 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Those seem like logical choices.

It depends on what his goals are with transferring if that’s where this ends.

Given his accolades, I think transferring might actually hurt his draft stock. He shows up late, has to adapt to new living conditions, new teammates, a higher level of competition and possibly slightly different terminology even if he goes to KSU. It’s unlikely that he would have his best season.

I wish him incredible success regardless of what the future holds for him, he’s an all-time great already in my book. If he is simply fulfilling his dream of playing FBS than good for him for chasing that, but if he’s getting advice that this will somehow improve his draft stock, I think it’s more likely to do the exact opposite.

I'm assuming he's going to a high level P5.  Certainly not Wyoming.  

22 minutes ago, surewhynot said:

I would bet you're wrong....that fact you even mentioned Wyoming is so hilarious, I am still not sure if you're joking. 

One guy says something uneducated and all the NDSU nutbeards come out of the woodwork

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'm assuming he's going to a high level P5.  Certainly not Wyoming.  

You’re right the more I think about it. Given his timing at NDSU he likely had very little, if any, contact with NDSU prior to the Klieman years. So really no connection to Wyoming.

There must have been some discussion with teams prior to his announcement you’d think, I can’t imagine he is blindly entering the transfer portal just hoping somebody is interested. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out for him.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

You’re right the more I think about it. Given his timing at NDSU he likely had very little, if any, contact with NDSU prior to the Klieman years. So really no connection to Wyoming.

There must have been some discussion with teams prior to his announcement you’d think, I can’t imagine he is blindly entering the transfer portal just hoping somebody is interested. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out for him.

Its against NCAA rules to contact a player from another school unless he has entered the the transfer portal. At least thats my understanding.

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Its against NCAA rules to contact a player from another school unless he has entered the the transfer portal. At least thats my understanding.

I realize it is technically against the rules, but we both know there are ways around that.

Jalen Hurts didn’t enter the portal last year not knowing Oklahoma wanted him, no chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Yes, I’m sure these rules are followed to the word. NDSU knows their way around 3rd party deniability and I’m sure they aren’t the only ones.