SiouxSports.com Forum

NFL

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

What alternative is there that doesn’t open the door to perpetual play?

The college model is a gimmick and rewards only short-field play.

I suspect that most of us on here are old enough to remember true sudden death, and the first-possession FG rule change was a bit of a compromise.  Losing the coin toss doesn’t prevent the defense from rising up.

Other than tweak it one more time to give the opposing team the ball after a touchdown, in addition to a field goal,  I'm not sure what options they have.   

On 1/24/2022 at 7:51 AM, Shawn-O said:

Other than tweak it one more time to give the opposing team the ball after a touchdown, in addition to a field goal,  I'm not sure what options they have.   

I’d just play another full quarter. It’s not like tie games happen often 

38 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

And if still tied, then what?

Here is a possible solution for overtime in the NFL:

For regular season games, the overtime, all 10 minutes of it, would be played. If, at the end of those 10 minutes, the score is still tied, the game ends in a tie.

For postseason games, the first overtime would be mandatory, all 15 minutes of it. But, the difference between that and a regular season game is that, if the game is still tied after those 15 minutes, the game goes into a second overtime, BUT, it then becomes sudden death....next score wins.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It just got harder for the Vikings to find a head coach. Sean Payton has retired from New Orleans.

You want the NO job, or Minnesota? 

TCO Performance Center, US Bank Stadium, and the patient management style of the Wilfs.  Vikings hands down.   

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Here is a possible solution for overtime in the NFL:

For regular season games, the overtime, all 10 minutes of it, would be played. If, at the end of those 10 minutes, the score is still tied, the game ends in a tie.

For postseason games, the first overtime would be mandatory, all 15 minutes of it. But, the difference between that and a regular season game is that, if the game is still tied after those 15 minutes, the game goes into a second overtime, BUT, it then becomes sudden death....next score wins.

Just to keep the thought exercise going...what happens at 00:00 of first OT?  Is it like the third Q, or the fourth?  Do you roll over possession, line of scrimmage, etc.?  Or start the second OT anew?  And if you start anew, is it just another coin flip?

26 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

First OT is a complete 15 minutes  - just like a fourth quarter.

if still tied you alternate each team starting at the 40  - regular rules

You do this twice if needed

if still tied you flip a coin

:)

Hell go to a field goal contest :p

Leave the regular season OT rules as is, though I would prefer a 15 min OT vs 10. 

In the playoffs it should be predetermined which team will get the ball first in OT before the game even starts.  You can then factor that into the way you play at the end of the 4th quarter.  Say you’re trailing by 7 late in the game and you score a TD.  If you know the other team gets the OT kickoff you might want to go for two.  I would grant the home team the option to kick or receive to start OT since they are the higher seed (they would have to declare before the game started if they want to kick or receive).  Then play out the OT under the current rules.