SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

6 hours ago, UND92,96 said:

I am out of the loop when it comes to NSIC basketball. Is there a general consensus with regard to who the top few NSIC coaches are at present?

I'd say Northern, Augie, Mankato, SMSU and Moorhead coaches are at or near the top.  

On 5/1/2019 at 12:15 PM, sioux24/7 said:

Who are some people you would like to see next? Just a small list of possible candidates that I can think of would be:

Gameli Ahelegbe

Chad Walthall

Jeff Horner

Dean Oliver

Ryan Moody

Does Ahelegbe have any head coaching experience? That didn't work out too well for someone like Jon Harris at SIUE....Chad Walthall had some very good years at Moorhead, but has begun to lose games as of late after the Elite Eight runs...Jeff Horner has been a head coach at Truman for one year and took a NCAA tournament team the year prior with 1 senior & 2 others  to a 14-15 record the following year that had quite a few returning...There were a lot of new hires within the league that is arguably one of the top 3 D2 Conferences in the country....Hard for me to believe that Dean Oliver would apply for the job since in later posts $$$ could potentially be an issue...Ryan Moody has done great things at Benedictine, but its hard to believe he is going to be able to go up against the big guns of the Summit League to recruit and get more talent than the likes of SDSU, USD, etc. I think we are forgetting to mention other well deserved candidates

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I never said he was the best coach but you said he was 3rd or 4th best. What metric did you use to decide that???

He's done a lot with less compared to other NSIC schools IMO. MSUM is tough to recruit to. He also has D1 experience at Iowa. Not saying he's going to get hired but he deserves a look. 30-6 and 35-4 in 2 seasons at MSUM from '14-'16 is impressive.

You're not wrong he may deserve a look, but do you think that the guys he was getting at one time are now not good enough to compete night in and night out in the NSIC? I think that night in and night out in the Summit League it will be difficult to compete if he continued to recruit similar players. Think that UND is a place that you need to have the ability to recruit JC and hit the D1 transfer list hard, possibly get fortunate on a player or two. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Siouhawk said:

Tom Miller put together an impressive list of top 10 candidates.  I'd be surprised if the next coach isnt on this list. Herbst is a very Bubba like candidate, and that hire has yet to prove itself out.  I would go with Phillips (NDSU, OHIO) or Walthall (Moorhead State) if available. 

• Gameli Ahelegbe
  • Randall Herbst
  • Saul Phillips
  • Jeff Horner
  • Ben Johnson
  • Chad Walthall
  • Dave Thorson
  • Eric Peterson
  • Jeff Boshee
  • Steve Grabowski

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4607077-10-names-watch-und-basketball-coaching-search#.XMpanfJ9nSQ.twitter

Good list, don't know if I am going across enemy lines and hiring Saul Phillips he got fired at Ohio (John Groce won there and ended up at Illinois) SP won at NDSU (was a great run not taking anything away from it) but they were players left behind by Tim Miles...as I said before in a previous post POWER 5 assistants without head coaching experience (Jon Harris-SIUE ) didn't have many if any winning seasons. Just don't want to see UND fall into the same boat as them hiring someone such as Ben Johnson who has had zero head coaching experience prior. I'd like to hire someone who has had head coaching experience who has been successful at either the D1 or D2 level in the last 8-10 years. Don't think that hiring a current NSIC head coach is the answer either, hiring a coach that has been in the league is very crucial for regional recruiting purposes. Would love to have a coach that has had experience getting to the "Big Dance"!!!!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, philjackson said:

Good list, don't know if I am going across enemy lines and hiring Saul Phillips he got fired at Ohio (John Groce won there and ended up at Illinois) SP won at NDSU (was a great run not taking anything away from it) but they were players left behind by Tim Miles...as I said before in a previous post POWER 5 assistants without head coaching experience (Jon Harris-SIUE ) didn't have many if any winning seasons. Just don't want to see UND fall into the same boat as them hiring someone such as Ben Johnson who has had zero head coaching experience prior. I'd like to hire someone who has had head coaching experience who has been successful at either the D1 or D2 level in the last 8-10 years. Don't think that hiring a current NSIC head coach is the answer either, hiring a coach that has been in the league is very crucial for regional recruiting purposes. Would love to have a coach that has had experience getting to the "Big Dance"!!!!! 

Phil, why don’t you just apply?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, philjackson said:

Please explain the SP won with Miles players comment....

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

He was here for what 3 years and was the primary reason we got Q and Geno, arguably the two most talented players to come through here in some time. 

Are you saying G was the reason we got Q and Geno?

14 minutes ago, coachdags said:

This is old but really paints the picture... 

We are D1? You get what you can afford 

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/105475/Contents/College-Basketball-Coaches-Salaries-54684326/

Jones got a bump to 140,000 but still....

Big jump from the 40th spot to the 50th spot.

Only need to pay $300,000 to be the 50th highest paid coach in D1 mens basketball.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Big jump from the 30th spot to the 40th spot.

Only need to pay $300,000 to be the 40th highest paid coach in D1 mens basketball.

I don’t think the numbers on the side are accurate? The USA Today link on the page above has a different rankings...?

9 minutes ago, coachdags said:

I don’t think the numbers on the side are accurate? The USA Today link on the page above has a different rankings...?

Meant 40th to 50th spot.

50th is new conference mate in SDSU at $300,000. Essentially the top dog in Summit league.

40th coach also has a UND connection (And why I picked those two spots).

*yes the numbers are a few years old. The link to USA today has the new numbers....big drop off after the major conferences...and some big differences within the major conferences too.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Big jump from the 40th spot to the 50th spot.

Only need to pay $300,000 to be the 50th highest paid coach in D1 mens basketball.

Wrong. Those are only the salaries of the 68 coaches that made the NCAA tourney that year. There are lots of coaches missing that make more than $300k.

It's also why the numbers might be different. USA Today normally does the same ranking every year among tourney teams. The one with Jones is from 2017; the other might be from 2018.

I don't think anyone does the whole list of 347 coaches. I looked earlier this week and could only find the USA Today list.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Those are only the salaries of the 68 coaches that made the NCAA tourney that year. There are lots of coaches missing that make more than $300k.

Ah yes that makes sense now.

Isn't this a list of the top paid mens D1 basketball coaches?

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

South Dakota State still top 74 and only need to pay $400,000.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Ah yes that makes sense now.

Isn't this a list of the top paid mens basketball coaches?

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

South Dakota State still top 74 and only need to pay $400,000.

Nope. Only 84 schools on the list. If you click on the methodology link, it tells you it's just the P5 schools plus any school that's been in the tourney three out of the last five years. Probably all of the top 50 coaches are on there, but you can't take anything else from it. At a guess, I'd say that $300k gets you around the 250-275 region out of 347.

• Upvote 2

If you looking at the best candidate for the job that has had Head Coaching success! 

Coach Randall Herbst was the Head Coach for two years at Mary University. (maybe the toughest job in the league) 

In 14 seasons, U of Mary has only had 3 winning seasons.  2 by Coach Herbst before he was hired away by summit league rival UNO 

In just his second year, U of Mary went 23-6, 2nd in the NSC, and received the only NCAA postseason bid in school history!  

BTW went 2-0 vs Sather and 3-0 vs Walthall 

In 4 seasons at UWGB as Associate Head Coach,  GB gone to the NCAA tournament for the fist time in 20 yrs and finished 2nd in the CIT.  

10 hours ago, Siouhawk said:

Tom Miller put together an impressive list of top 10 candidates.  I'd be surprised if the next coach isnt on this list. Herbst is a very Bubba like candidate, and that hire has yet to prove itself out.  I would go with Phillips (NDSU, OHIO) or Walthall (Moorhead State) if available. 

• Gameli Ahelegbe
  • Randall Herbst
  • Saul Phillips
  • Jeff Horner
  • Ben Johnson
  • Chad Walthall
  • Dave Thorson
  • Eric Peterson
  • Jeff Boshee
  • Steve Grabowski

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4607077-10-names-watch-und-basketball-coaching-search#.XMpanfJ9nSQ.twitter

If we are working off of Tom Miller's list, I have to say I would really have no interest in anybody from the Brian Jones "coaching tree".  So for me that eliminates Ahelegbe, Horner, and Grabowski.  

I would really like someone that has head coaching experience at some collegiate level, so given that I'm not all that interested in Johnson, Thorson, or Peterson.

I don't think ties directly to UND should be a requirement, but ties to at least the Dakotas/Minnesota area would be extremely beneficial.  So from this list, that leaves Herbst, Phillips, Walthall, and Boshee.  Among those four, Phillips and Walthall appear to be the best candidates, at least on paper.

I never knew nothing about the Northern St guy that several have mentioned, but he seems very intriguing, perhaps moreso than anybody on Miller's list of candidates. 

People will probably roll their eyes at me for this, but I could really get on board with Saul Phillips.  And if he really wanted to be at Idaho St., I'd have to think he'd be interested in the North Dakota job.  Outside of that, I really would be happy with one of the top NSIC coaches.  I'd argue that the top 3 or 4 NSIC teams could compete handsomely in the Summit League. 

• Upvote 2