SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Where is Boschee?

Mike (older) and Jeff are brothers from Valley City.
Rumor has it those two shot so many jumpers that they wore out chain nets at the asphalt court east of The Bubble at VCSU. :D

Mike played guard at UND in the Dave Vonish era if memory serves. 
Jeff played guard at Kansas (yes, that Kansas) and was the reason for the KU@UND MBB at The Ralph back in the day.*

*The KU coach at the time liked to give his seniors a game in their "hometown" best he could. Jeff picked at UND because Mike played at UND. 

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Everyone in 2006: Craig Smith! Great coach at Mayville.

UND: Brian Jones

Fast forward to 2019 and Craig Smith is head coach at Utah State.

Similar circumstances with the recent hiring of the UND football coach....why is the obvious so hard?

I have faith in Chaves. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

The gobc is making a run. I have named or candidates. 

Further down on list is walthall and herbst

Stick to GF HS hockey..............

Where are the other finalists now:

Steve Weemer went on to coach boys High School basketball and is no longer in coaching.

Randall Herbst kept climbing the ranks and is now associate head coach at UW Green Bay.

Tom Brown went from associate head coach at Winona State to head coach at D2 West Texas A&M.

Will they make a Masters Degree a requirement ("preference") again to apply?

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mike (older) and Jeff are brothers from Valley City.
Rumor has it those two shot so many jumpers that they wore out chain nets at the asphalt court east of The Bubble at VCSU. :D

Mike played guard at UND in the Dave Vonish era if memory serves. 
Jeff played guard at Kansas (yes, that Kansas) and was the reason for the KU@UND MBB at The Ralph back in the day.*

*The KU coach at the time liked to give his seniors a game in their "hometown" best he could. Jeff picked at UND because Mike played at UND. 

I know who the Boschees are, was asking where they are. MoSiouxFan got it though.

My son was recently recruited in the NSIC....from that situation, I do not see Coach Wathall as a option. He seemed more like a small college coach. Boschee has a tough job, but also did not seem like a person with the energy needed at UND to recruit outside Minnesota. Sather, I didnt get to know. Thorson won in Minneapolis as a high school coach, but it was also a school that won this year too with a new coach and always has talent. 

Spoke to a college player from the Glas, Herbst and Beasley days, and he praised Coach Herbst coaching and his recruiting. The next coach has to recruit at a high level IMO. Sounds like his work ethic is outstanding. His experience in the conference and division 1 keeps me returning to his name as replacement. 

Agree with above post, to have faith in Chaves. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UofND-Alum said:

My son was recently recruited in the NSIC....from that situation, I do not see Coach Wathall as a option. He seemed more like a small college coach. Boschee has a tough job, but also did not seem like a person with the energy needed at UND to recruit outside Minnesota. Sather, I didnt get to know. Thorson won in Minneapolis as a high school coach, but it was also a school that won this year too with a new coach and always has talent. 

Spoke to a college player from the Glas, Herbst and Beasley days, and he praised Coach Herbst coaching and his recruiting. The next coach has to recruit at a high level IMO. Sounds like his work ethic is outstanding. His experience in the conference and division 1 keeps me returning to his name as replacement. 

Agree with above post, to have faith in Chaves. 

I certainly hope Herbst gets full consideration.  He works his rear off, is an excellent recruiter and still "bleeds green"!  I am not saying he is the best man for the job but he deserves consideration!

Unless somebody finds the end of a rainbow pot of gold. Saul Philips, Randall Herbst, Paul Sather  would all be affordable candidates. Maybe Chaves has a guy in mind, who knows, but ND is a hard school to recruit to for hoops.

Anyone know if all any of these guys coached against each other? All of them have been head coaches in the Northern Sun League. 

Sather 

Herbst

Walthall

Side Note: Thorson coached at a private high school in Minneapolis, DeLaSalle. The program won its 24th state title this season. It was a winner before him and will be after. No Minn players on Colorado state roster, isn’t that why you hire a HS coach from Minn? 

Kind of miss Glas’s salesmanship to the fans.  Wasn’t fond of his coaching, but he had excellent choices in his assistants.  Jones was actually a better coach.  Glas was more of an administrator/salesman that got fans involved, as his Concordia spiel showed.  That type position isn’t in Jones’ DNA.

Its rather hard to compete against the REA now, but a coach that sells the program to the media and the public and can actually coach would be great.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4607077-10-names-watch-und-basketball-coaching-search

Here’s Tom Miller’s list. Mentions most of the names thrown around here besides McCollum. A name that I haven’t seen mentioned here until Tom’s article is Ben Johnson (assistant at Xavier). I really like coaches with the Minneapolis connections because that has to be our main source of recruiting. 

Also mentions Herbst as a Bubba like hire. 

It is simple for me:

1) winning record as a head coach (DII or DI)

and/or

2) winning record as “long-time” (5+ seasons) DI assistant coach

I weigh point #1 a bit more. I do not care if the candidate has connections to specifically UND, but connections to the region are a good thing. 

All in all, the lists that have been floating around are in the ballpark. I just hope UND can raise the salary pool a bit (like football did in 2013 when hiring Bubba) so the job is more appealing. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, coachdags said:

Paul Sather from Northern State maybe the Best Coach in our area, and since we are not going to pay more then 200,000 we will get what we can afford.

If Chaves can get this job slotted at $200K that would be amazing.