SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

Minnesota needed the PP to beat Niagra…….. so stay out of the box!

Duluth had 2 early 5 min majors- but gave up 1 goal on them. Loss of d men showed late when Wisco went at them tho. They committed a 3rd 5 min with no call in the 3rd too. Plus gave up a shorty.

So Duluth was getting called tonight on their aggressive play- early in the season, and with B10 refs tho.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:33 PM, Godsmack said:

DU laying the beat down on Boston College. DU got another freshman goalie from Europe to replace Filip Larsson and this guy is a monster. 6’6” 216 lbs. 

I was at the DU-BC game Friday night and DU is loaded with talent, very fast, controlled the play for the most part.  I don't think #15 Mitchell ever left the ice, and #24 Brink from Tonka played as expected-  fantastic.  His hockey sense, offensive skill and compete level are off the chart.  Very excited for him!

The UND-DU series should be a great tilt.

• Upvote 1

Have noticed some fans, especially UMD fans, really singing the praises of Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see how those two teams look moving forward. I watched a good chunk of both games in Madison and don't get me wrong, Wisconsin's sweep was impressive. I'm not about to write anyone into or out of the tournament based on the results of any early season non-conference series.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Taz Boy said:

I was at the DU-BC game Friday night and DU is loaded with talent, very fast, controlled the play for the most part.  I don't think #15 Mitchell ever left the ice, and #24 Brink from Tonka played as expected-  fantastic.  His hockey sense, offensive skill and compete level are off the chart.  Very excited for him!

The UND-DU series should be a great tilt.

This pains me to say but DI looks like the most complete team in the conference, if not the country right now. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

This pains me to say but DI looks like the most complete team in the conference, if not the country right now. 

Well they got those 2 extra games to get their sh** together so :whistling: :lol:

... not too surprising.

Plus the other “favorites” in the league have underperformed at this point. 

19 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I’m sure everyone knows I was referring to DU. I had a typo in there! 

Yep, and they are very good for sure.  I was not as impressed with BC, big but not as fast.  I have yet to see UND play live but I'm thinking they will match up fine with DU.  Lot's of hockey in front of us so there's plenty to look forward to.

29 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

Yep, and they are very good for sure.  I was not as impressed with BC, big but not as fast.  I have yet to see UND play live but I'm thinking they will match up fine with DU.  Lot's of hockey in front of us so there's plenty to look forward to.

A few years ago, when UND played BC at MSG, Dave Starman commented how Jerry York was recruiting bigger, heavier players. Perhaps he might have more success with the smaller, quicker forwards that he had so much success with from 2000-2012? 

59 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Who do you hate the more - Duluth or the gophers? Have to say I dislike Duluth the most 

My gopher hate goes back way too far and too deep to take second fiddle to UMD.  I remember Bill Butters fighting with fans after being ejected at the old barn.

12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Who do you hate the more - Duluth or the gophers? Have to say I dislike Duluth the most 

This is completely unfair, 100, but you giving the gophers even a little break makes me hate you too. 

That's just the way gopher hate rolls. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Both of my brothers are rodents so they are definitely the biggest rival to me. Come to think of it, so are my parents but they are a different kind (BSU) and they usually cheer for UND except when we play BSU. 

Beyond that, I have cousins that have gone to Mankato, UMD and my Grandpa went to SCSU so pretty much any game against a MN team is some sort of rivalry for me. 

10 hours ago, tnt said:

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This may be the year the NCHC comes crashing back down to earth. Non-conference is not great so far.

I was just thinking this. Expected Western to be on the right side of .500 but didn’t realize how automatic it’s been to expect dominant winning percentages from St Cloud and Duluth. I normally wouldn’t be complaining about them crashing back to earth, but stinks that right now they’re effective dragging the rest of the conference with them. Suspect they’ll both right the ship though, and NCHC can hopefully get into similar territory as BIG/Hockey East and send 3-4 into the tourney. I expect UND to be better this year, but if poor conference comparisons hold, all that much harder to change the narrative from last couple years. Here’s hoping. 

The NCHC needs to schedule more games against Atlantic Hockey. Head to head, the NCHC is even with the B10 and Hockey East, but schools from those conferences have played AHA teams 9 and 8 games respectively. 

9 of B10s 20 wins are against AHA teams and HE is 2-4-2 vs the bottom league.