SiouxSports.com Forum

D1 Men's hockey Recruiting

Fader

48 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'm trying to figure out how our leading scorer was tied for 16th in the league and how we were on the road for the first round of the playoffs.  Something is not right.  Our leading scorer had 10 goals. 

I think it's partly because most players play four years and develop throughout their career. Our leading scorer was a Sophomore and is not a finished product and should take a step again, next year. Along with other Sophs, like they are supposed to. Our juniors in 18-19 didn't score and likely won't as seniors. What isn't right is that we are expecting monster results from underclassmen every season. It just doesn't happen all the time. 

3 hours ago, Fader said:

Our recruiting is, and has been, incredibly good over the past handful of years. Our pipeline is absolutely loaded. If people want to argue against that, I mean, go for it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think it's partly because most players play four years and develop throughout their career. Our leading scorer was a Sophomore and is not a finished product and should take a step again, next year. Along with other Sophs, like they are supposed to. Our juniors in 18-19 didn't score and likely won't as seniors. What isn't right is that we are expecting monster results from underclassmen every season. It just doesn't happen all the time. 

But when you have one, ten goal scorer and the average over the past 15 years is probably about five, that is more than expectations.  We'll see if it was just a blip, but you aren't going to compete nationally very often when you have one player on your team barely get to 10 goals.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

But when you have one, ten goal scorer and the average over the past 15 years is probably about five, that is more than expectations.  We'll see if it was just a blip, but you aren't going to compete nationally very often when you have one player on your team barely get to 10 goals.  

Of those 10 goal scorers during those past 15 years, most of those are upperclassmen. That's what I'm saying. It's an unrealistic expectation to think underclassmen are going to consistently score a lot of goals.

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Of those 10 goal scorers during those past 15 years, most of those are upperclassmen. That's what I'm saying. It's an unrealistic expectation to think underclassmen are going to consistently score a lot of goals.

But you think are freshmen coming in will save the day, confused.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

But you think are freshmen coming in will save the day, confused.

I do? Did I say that, ever? 

I think the freshmen will absolutely contribute. It'll be up to the upperclassmen, specifically the sophomores, to carry the biggest load.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Our recruiting is, and has been, incredibly good over the past handful of years. Our pipeline is absolutely loaded. If people want to argue against that, I mean, go for it. 

The game is played on ice, not paper ... unless you put a layer of paper under the ice in your rink. :D 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The game is played on ice, not paper ... unless you put a layer of paper under the ice in your rink. :D 

Completely agree. Recruiting is simply pegging players as what they are going to be when they are in college. Obviously not a great science. Hopefully we see an impact from our freshies this year and a steps from the rest of the guys.

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I’m pro- goal scoring. 

(With the same smirk I asked "what's a screen pass?" in a football thread ... ) 

What's goal scoring?
I have vague recollections but it's really fuzzy ... 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's goal scoring?

Not sure but for some reason I find his comment offensive....what does that word mean again?

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I’m pro- goal scoring. 

So you're Anti Goalie then???

You're an Anti-Tendytite.....

.... A RAVING Anti - Tendytite...

Next thing you'll be advacating they have their own camps, and equipment, ..... and control where they can play the puck!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Next thing you'll be advacating they have their own camps, and equipment, ..... and control where they can play the puck!

I sense a Seinfeld fan like myself!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's goal scoring?

You know...it's what happens when UND takes about 45 shots in a game and one of the times the puck hits the net behind the "red hot" goalie. :)

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm Antti Laaksonen...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

No UND incoming Fighting Hawk players, nor NCHC, drafted in round 1....Sure some will come off the board today......Some on this board have accused me of not liking hockey....not true.....I do follow hockey, quite closely actually...Berry seems like a good dude....what I dislike is unwarranted arrogance, which I perceived was evident within the previous coaching regime, and with some 'newby'  fans who only have that as a perspective....Blais, Gino and going back to the mid 50's the UND coaches practiced 'hard nosed' hockey with just the right amount of humility....

College hockey today, has quite a bit of parity, which is good....prolly won't see the dominant programs like Michigan, Minnesota, BC and UND have the 'runs' they previously enjoyed....that is good and will ultimately return humility and gratitude to programs....and fans alike....

45 minutes ago, John W. said:

No UND incoming Fighting Hawk players, nor NCHC, drafted in round 1....Sure some will come off the board today......Some on this board have accused me of not liking hockey....not true.....I do follow hockey, quite closely actually...Berry seems like a good dude....what I dislike is unwarranted arrogance, which I perceived was evident within the previous coaching regime, and with some 'newby'  fans who only have that as a perspective....Blais, Gino and going back to the mid 50's the UND coaches practiced 'hard nosed' hockey with just the right amount of humility....

College hockey today, has quite a bit of parity, which is good....prolly won't see the dominant programs like Michigan, Minnesota, BC and UND have the 'runs' they previously enjoyed....that is good and will ultimately return humility and gratitude to programs....and fans alike....

“Unwarranted arrogance “ ?  What is that???  Is there such a thing as warranted arrogance?  First of all there are a lot of people who know quite a bit about hockey, but very little about coaching. We have been fortunate to have four outstanding coaches at UND since the Mid 1970’s. They all have different personalities. To judge a coaches ability solely based on National titles is a bit shallow just as judging their personalities based on whether or not they will hang out with or drink with some of our fans is flawed. They were, and still are, approachable. They all were wary of the media and wary that anything they say or do with fans can be taken out of context.  They keep a tight social circle of trusted friends and family for good reason. Too many fans cross the line of what is acceptable in interacting with players and coaches and the smart ones will do their best to protect their private lives and their time with family and friends. That often comes across as being aloof or arrogant. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John W. said:

Does anyone think that @John W. drinking already this morning? Loading up on first-round draft choices isn't always an indicator of success. BU is a perfect example of this. 

B.C. has three first-round draft choices, but how many of them will stay long there enough to lead them to an NCAA title? You have to have a good mix of players.