SiouxSports.com Forum

D1 Men's hockey Recruiting

Fader

24 minutes ago, Goon said:

Does anyone think that @John W. drinking already this morning? Loading up on first-round draft choices isn't always an indicator of success. BU is a perfect example of this. 

B.C. has three first-round draft choices, but how many of them will stay long there enough to lead them to an NCAA title? You have to have a good mix of players. 

I agree that the BU method isn't a roadmap to titles.  However, we still need to be the program that top talent wants to come to to develop their skills.  How would our teams have been without Parise, Toews, Oshie, Boesser, or Schmaltz?  Top end guys have been very valuable to our program and we should be able to get a few.  The lack of big time blue chippers lately concerns me, especially after looking at our offensive output last year.  We need to be the go-to team for developing NHL talent like we once were. 

14 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

My favorite statistic of the draft so far is that the 9 first-round draft choices heading the NCAA route are all going to schools that did not make the NCAA tournament last year.  

I did too, until I realized they were all BU, BC, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan recruits. 

Hopefully some 1 and dones. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, John W. said:

No UND incoming Fighting Hawk players, nor NCHC, drafted in round 1....Sure some will come off the board today......Some on this board have accused me of not liking hockey....not true.....I do follow hockey, quite closely actually...Berry seems like a good dude....what I dislike is unwarranted arrogance, which I perceived was evident within the previous coaching regime, and with some 'newby'  fans who only have that as a perspective....Blais, Gino and going back to the mid 50's the UND coaches practiced 'hard nosed' hockey with just the right amount of humility....

College hockey today, has quite a bit of parity, which is good....prolly won't see the dominant programs like Michigan, Minnesota, BC and UND have the 'runs' they previously enjoyed....that is good and will ultimately return humility and gratitude to programs....and fans alike....

Scott Sandelin seems to be making a mark, and he seems like a good dude - UND '86.

The number of NHL picks on UND's teams the last two years have been seven and eight, the first two times that UND has dipped into single digits in draft picks since 2002-03. Those two teams also were the only two to miss the NCAA tournament in that span.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/2725005-Number-of-NHL-draft-picks-on-UNDs-roster-is-on-the-rise

The natty team had 13. And that was the lowest since 08-09.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:48 AM, SiouxForever said:

Idk how Wisconsin lands a few studs. Program still is average despite Granto being there 

Well when you have like fifty player recruiting classes you're bound to land some good players and you can weed out who you do/don't want. This won't be the first year that an incoming class has had high expectations for Granato though and it has yet to work out. Not saying it won't ever work out with Granato in Sconnie but I am in "I'll believe it until I see it" mode until those highly touted classes turn out the expected results.

But like I've said in other threads, I don't understand how Wisconsin lands all these huge recruiting classes. At some point you'd think the kids/parents would look at their class on paper and ask "where do I fit in?" and start bailing.