SiouxSports.com Forum

ITS OVER!!!

AJS

1 minute ago, franchise said:

Is this good or bad?:whistling:

not sure why this is stated as a fact, if I was JBD or ottawa I would be considering things, same with mismash, adams, and tyonchuik.....   those boys want to be in the show and player development is the key, culture only counts if it works....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish said:

Maybe Chaves can help Berry can iron some things out.  If not, buckle your seat belts -  it's going to be a bumpy ride.  What is the over/under for change to happen?

Let's hope that Chaves gained some insights from working with Kyle Schweigert (and his staff issues) that'll be useful in mentoring another one of his direct reports (i.e. Brad Berry). 

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

Lots of serious issues with the program have been discussed on this board - including but not limited to:  recruiting, the system sucking the scoring out of our team, power play and PP kill, roster issues with dead weight, player development, assistant coaches, and leadership.  Who here thinks Berry will deal with them in the off season (or even some of them)?  Based on his handling of the power play and Captain Gardner during the season I am not optimistic - however, who knows.  Maybe Chaves can help Berry can iron some things out.  If not, buckle your seat belts -  it's going to be a bumpy ride.  What is the over/under for change to happen?

I'd bet he gets another two years of runway, minimum.   

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Siouxdiehard said:

Our last Hobey winner? How long ago was that (yes I know when it was) !! You got to be kidding with that one! How'd the NHL go for him? - is he still in Austria? I don't recall the NHL drooling to get him - want him yes, tempting him - I don't think so. Shots from standing at the top of the right circle and waiting for the puck are not going far in the NHL and that was his complete skill set. The NHL wanted to see more and didn't. Glad he got the award - congratulations to him - but he wasn't going anywhere early.

You've lost all credibility(not that you had any to begin with) with this post. Duncan has had a hell of a hockey career and made more money doing so than guys that are having a cup of coffee in the league and battling it out in the A.

• Upvote 3

Good to see ya swami. :)

About your Point 3: I've long said I'm tired of seeing hockey become soccer. Games should be decided on talent, not a bad bounce off the glass. (A mighty sweep-check ability is not a talent.) Bad bounces will happen, but in today's 5 total goals per game world (compared to the 9 total goals per game world of the 20-30 years ago) that bad luck goal is 20% of the game (1/5) and not 11% (1/9) as it was in the past. Again, I want to see talent, not bad bounces, win games. 

The focus on a nominal talent (a mean sweep-check) has negated offensive talent and thereby exacerbated the luck (bad bounce) part of the game's influence. 

30 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You've lost all credibility(not that you had any to begin with) with this post. Duncan has had a hell of a hockey career and made more money doing so than guys that are having a cup of coffee in the league and battling it out in the A.

Not to mention that he had NHL offers after his Soph and junior years.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not to mention that he had NHL offers after his Soph and junior years.

Have to always remember the lens through which players where viewed was quite different then too. Players of his size had an even bigger stigma associated with them then, still the bruising enforcer era.

The game has changed and for Duncs to have NHL interest coupled with his size at that time was a testement to what they thought of his a abilities.

Duncan was always destined to be a Euro player in my mind and hes had a hell of a career doing it. I'd imagine hes quite comfortable and much better off than toiling in the American or East Coast.

BTW he came BACK to the AHL even and was mildly successful, I credit his wisdom in going to the situation that fit him and his family the best.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, MafiaMan said:

Given how well you handled playoff losses under Hak’s tenure, I’d imagine the past two years must have you pulling hair out of your head.  :lol:

Different situations. Hak's teams would choke on the big stage. The past two years, we never got close to the big stage. Either way, the ultimate goal is not being reached.

I can accept a few bad years sprinkled among the good years. But the trend pointing downward is what I am most worried about.

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Have to always remember the lens through which players where viewed was quite different then too. Players of his size had an even bigger stigma associated with them then, still the bruising enforcer era.

The game has changed and for Duncs to have NHL interest coupled with his size at that time was a testement to what they thought of his a abilities.

Duncan was always destined to be a Euro player in my mind and hes had a hell of a career doing it. I'd imagine hes quite comfortable and much better off than toiling in the American or East Coast.

BTW he came BACK to the AHL even and was mildly successful, I credit his wisdom in going to the situation that fit him and his family the best.

Right, and I was agreeing with IHTINB that Duncan had a wonderful career and that includes having NHL offers after his Soph and Junior years.

great insight, I would humbly add that the success of youngster in the NHL may lead to more talent going that way..   I hardly got to see Duncan as I was in the no coverage / no time double blanket in western ND.  But he became a favorite in short order, including my son wanting to be #16 still to this day...   Got to wonder if Gaudreau & Duncan swapped time frames would Ryan be on the cover of Hockey News?   in the same thought if Toews was 17 today, would UND be on his radar, especially for 2 years?

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

This resonates so much with me. I used to actually get bummed out when the boys would lose. After the past two seasons it just doesn't impact me as much. Maybe that is getting older, maybe that is from watching boring hockey most nights. Unfortunately, it also harder to get into the games when watching them.

Poor state for the program, and hopefully they can turn it around and start making runs on a regular basis again.

I've felt the same way about being numb to the losses and lack of success the last two seasons.  Winning the national championship is what did it for me.  To not have that curse hanging over the program was such a relief for me that  I am a lot more ok with this result than if we didn't have that natty trophy and banner.  

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've felt the same way about being numb to the losses and lack of success the last two seasons.  Winning the national championship is what did it for me.  To not have that curse hanging over the program was such a relief for me that  I am a lot more ok with this result than if we didn't have that natty trophy and banner.  

I must concur with this. However, we don't want the program to deteriorate to the point where it needs a total rebuilding. If we don't start turning it around the next two seasons, it might be time for a change at the very top.

22 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

great insight, I would humbly add that the success of youngster in the NHL may lead to more talent going that way..   I hardly got to see Duncan as I was in the no coverage / no time double blanket in western ND.  But he became a favorite in short order, including my son wanting to be #16 still to this day...   Got to wonder if Gaudreau & Duncan swapped time frames would Ryan be on the cover of Hockey News?   in the same thought if Toews was 17 today, would UND be on his radar, especially for 2 years?

I also had a son that graduates this year and wore 16 for 8 of the last 10 years for the same reasons. 

23 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So how empty will the Xcel be this weekend without UND in the tourney? Will we finally see how pathetic the rest of the NCHC fan base really is? It will be a shame if the tourney flops because UND didn’t make it.

St Cloud is the number one team in the nation with a bullet.  The overwhelming favorite to win the National Championship this year.   Their next 3 (likely 4) games are in St Paul and Fargo.  Both a short drive away.  Plenty of tickets available now since UND won't be playing at either cities.  We will see how well the Huskie fans support arguably the best Huskie team they have had in program history.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

St Cloud is the number one team in the nation with a bullet.  The overwhelming favorite to win the National Championship this year.   Their next 3 (likely 4) games are in St Paul and Fargo.  Both a short drive away.  Plenty of tickets available now since UND won't be playing at either cities.  We will see how well the Huskie fans support arguably the best Huskie team they have had in program history.

SCSU has to get by the AHA champion first though. I honestly don't think they are that overwhelming of a favorite.

I live in St.Cloud area and spoke to two season ticket holders who are going to watch the games on TV this weekend instead of going to the X.  I was at both games this past weekend in SC and LOTS of empty seats. Student section had maybe 50 students there. Several weeks ago I did find someone to buy my Regional tickets. 

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

not sure why this is stated as a fact, if I was JBD or ottawa I would be considering things, same with mismash, adams, and tyonchuik.....   those boys want to be in the show and player development is the key, culture only counts if it works....

Agreed. The boys used to make pacts because they wanted to come back for that elusive natty. Probably not a conversation taking place on campus now.