SiouxSports.com Forum

ITS OVER!!!

AJS

10 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Was friends with a few of the guys, and had classes with even more, who played on the '13-'16 teams...... you'd be surprised. They are aware of SS and the scrutiny (or praise) they receive on this board. SS is just as accessible to them as it is to all of us. And believe it or not, there's emotional sincerity driving their appreciation for us fans,  be it personally, in an interview or whatever the mode is. 

These posts usually start wars on our board, the 'these are just kids' crowd vs. the 'these guys are getting free educations and should be open to criticism' crowd. 

Of course half of us think we're smarter than the leaders and coaches and they should be following our advice :lol:

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

I gave away more tickets than I sold this season just so they wouldn't go to waste when we had a conflict and couldn't attend. People just not as interested in buying seats this season for sure 

I gave away many tickets over the years, that was always an option; and when I sold them, usually received face vale. This year was more like selling for half price. In fact, giving them away is even getting to be a challenge. I try and make sure who I give the tickets to goes to the game.

• Upvote 2

Much like other premier programs in the country, UND hockey certainly isn't immune from the attendance decline problem happening at College sporting events across the country.  UND and the Ralph are likely aware of the issue.  Not the next step is being proactive in getting butts back in the seats.  Obviously winning helps, but sometimes that isn't even enough these days.  The new scoreboard is certainly going to help next year.  But the REA needs to continually work on improving their gameday atmosphere and presentation. 

4 minutes ago, jodcon said:

These posts usually start wars on our board, the 'these are just kids' crowd vs. the 'these guys are getting free educations and should be open to criticism' crowd. 

Of course half of us think we're smarter than the leaders and coaches and they should be following our advice :lol:

Kids can’t grow up if you don’t let them. As my dad always says, “you won’t learn any younger.” That goes for mental toughness too.

With how low this program has fallen, and with it being quite obvious that brad has One season left to turn it around; What are the chances he dumps Shaw and cuts at least one player? 

If neither of those things happen I’m confident Brad just doesn’t have what it takes to be a head coach. Those are blaringly obvious things that need to happen, am I wrong? 

If neither of those things happen UND will be around .500, and hang around the wrong side of the bubble once again. Then Brad Berry will be let go one season too late. 

I find it interesting that several posts on this and other threads have commented on how good our defensive corps is, didn't we have several instances of giving up a 2 goal lead in the third?  Doesn't that kind of show our defense also has issues?   Speaking of defensive, it seems to me like our plan is cycle, then back to point of a shot, which makes for a lot of perimeter shots, which should work if. IF we have forwards crashing the net, but what I saw was all three forwards in the corner so we win that puck battle, leaving less for the opposition to cover and free them to cover the point.  During the Denver series I noticed they pressured the point quite a bit...  I suspect Berry's system is too well known and also stifles creativity, the forwards first thought is their defensive responsibility....    Is it october yet?

• Upvote 2

How about this as a school rule:  NO SENIORS - Jones is a rare exception to the low quality of the "left overs" that are Seniors at UND - and he missed a year to come here. This year's Senior leadership was mostly leading the way to the penalty box. Gardner should have been benched more than just 1 time for 1 period and should have had his "C" taken before Christmas. We are better off building for the future with replacing Freshman than playing these guys. Or leave them on the team and cut scholarship and play the new blood if they are anywhere close to the older player.  A loyalty to the player issue, I know, but playing for a crappy program is becoming an issue with St. Cloud, Duluth, and Denver out-recruiting us badly. Other sports and especially top programs have had to make these same decisions. We should be the Alabama Football of college hockey with our fan support, facilities and "culture". College football has a lot of equity and tough teams too, but there are still annually successful teams - at least in contention. 2 years now that we have not been. We are losing the boost we used to get in polls because of our history. Yep - we lose key players but all the good teams do. No more frickin' excuses. Alabama would fire Sabin in a heart beat if they had these last 2 (or 3) seasons.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Siouxdiehard said:

How about this as a school rule:  NO SENIORS - Jones is a rare exception to the low quality of the "left overs" that are Seniors at UND - and he missed a year to come here. This year's Senior leadership was mostly leading the way to the penalty box. Gardner should have been benched more than just 1 time for 1 period and should have had his "C" taken before Christmas. We are better off building for the future with replacing Freshman than playing these guys. Or leave them on the team and cut scholarship and play the new blood if they are anywhere close to the older player.  A loyalty to the player issue, I know, but playing for a crappy program is becoming an issue with St. Cloud, Duluth, and Denver out-recruiting us badly. Other sports and especially top programs have had to make these same decisions. We should be the Alabama Football of college hockey with our fan support, facilities and "culture". College football has a lot of equity and tough teams too, but there are still annually successful teams - at least in contention. 2 years now that we have not been. We are losing the boost we used to get in polls because of our history. Yep - we lose key players but all the good teams do. No more frickin' excuses. Alabama would fire Sabin in a heart beat if they had these last 2 (or 3) seasons.

Caggiula was a senior.

• Upvote 3

Top scorer in the history of the program was a senior who stayed for the education, even though he NHL wanted him.

Our last Hobey winner was a senior.

Jeff and Jay Panzer pitched in a little.

You could just decide to play only first rounders, and the senioritis would be pretty much cured.

12 minutes ago, Siouxdiehard said:

We are the Alabama football of college hockey.  It just happens that we're in the middle of the Mike Shula era.   

• Upvote 3

Our last Hobey winner? How long ago was that (yes I know when it was) !! You got to be kidding with that one! How'd the NHL go for him? - is he still in Austria? I don't recall the NHL drooling to get him - want him yes, tempting him - I don't think so. Shots from standing at the top of the right circle and waiting for the puck are not going far in the NHL and that was his complete skill set. The NHL wanted to see more and didn't. Glad he got the award - congratulations to him - but he wasn't going anywhere early.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Shawn-O said:

We are the Alabama football of college hockey.  It just happens that we're in the middle of the Mike Shula era.   

We are the Alabama of college hockey, having won one title in the last 18 years?  If anybody has a claim to being the Alabama of college hockey in the modern era, it's BC, like it or not.

And I don't.

16 minutes ago, Siouxdiehard said:

How about this as a school rule:  NO SENIORS - 

Disagree. 

However, just because you were a junior does not guarantee a senior season would be the standard I'd use. 

We make roster adjustments after sophomore seasons; that might need to be expanded to after junior seasons. 

I can think of two guys who've earned a senior year right now (Poolman and Smith). Peski is right there also. Beyond that ... which other junior has earned that senior slot? 

7 minutes ago, Siouxdiehard said:

Our last Hobey winner? How long ago was that (yes I know when it was) !! You got to be kidding with that one! How'd the NHL go for him? - is he still in Austria? I don't recall the NHL drooling to get him - want him yes, tempting him - I don't think so. Shots from standing at the top of the right circle and waiting for the puck are not going far in the NHL and that was his complete skill set. The NHL wanted to see more and didn't. Glad he got the award - congratulations to him - but he wasn't going anywhere early.

NHL also went poorly for the Panzers, Bochenski, Frattin, and Kristo.  I'd take all of them on my college hockey team in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

who were the seniors on the 16 team?  Drake, Colton, some 4th liner from saskywan....    everyone has their place   Gardners issues should have been addressed long ago, I think he as given a pass (debate that decision) because the large loss of talent from 16 & 17 seasons made him untouchable.  He was / is prone to brain farts, not sure if or how to repair that, a recruiting miscue, maybe.  Time to learn and move ahead.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Caggiula, Chyzyk, Sanderson, St. Clair

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1516/teamstats/ndkm 

exactly, one scoring phenom/star and 3 character guys...   I don't think anyone on these boards can spell out the magic formula other than pure guessing....  not sure B-Rad is any more adept at it, hopefully he and hak are pounding beers in the garage nightly

5 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't think anyone on these boards can spell out the magic formula other than pure guessing....  

I'll try. 

Scholarships (NCAA speak "grants-in-aid") are annual, not four-year, agreements. 

They should be earned annually. 

Skate or sit (or else). 

Lots of serious issues with the program have been discussed on this board - including but not limited to:  recruiting, the system sucking the scoring out of our team, power play and PP kill, roster issues with dead weight, player development, assistant coaches, and leadership.  Who here thinks Berry will deal with them in the off season (or even some of them)?  Based on his handling of the power play and Captain Gardner during the season I am not optimistic - however, who knows.  Maybe Chaves can help Berry can iron some things out.  If not, buckle your seat belts -  it's going to be a bumpy ride.  What is the over/under for change to happen?

I am very optimistic with Senden, strangely enough I was tickled when he got called in a the last minute as it were..   makes me feel like a savant...    My concern is player development, if that doesn't show that players will improve then recruiting will suffer..   Is B-Rad too old?  

1 hour ago, jodcon said:

I'm not calling them kids nor do I defend the argument behind that group of thought. I'm also not sensitive to and for them either. They aren't boys anymore and they came to college to pursue hockey now above all else, whether or not hockey ends up being their forever. All I'm saying is the guys are aware of what the fans think and the criticism (again, along with praise) is taken to heart.