SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

I don't see UND being at the bottom of the league where we had very young team last year in the league and wasn't given any breaks early in league season being a new member to the conference. We return 6 of the top 8 players from last year and will also should get full season marlon Stewart this year. South Dakota state, Omaha, and Fort Wayne lost big time seniors last year. My first thoughts would be would be in the middle of the pack like 4th and we could be one position either direction from there.  South Dakota, North Dakota State,  and ORU would have been my upper tier picks. UND, South Dakota State, and Omaha would have been in my next tier of teams, and rest would be bottom tier of teams. I don't know reason for us being picked so low but my guess it has something to do with coaching changes and player personnel remaining the same thinking coaching and players won't match up but I think league might be surprised  on that front. This team I believe has players if they develop this year has ability to become very good team but big question is will make step to play better defense.

10 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I used to live and die with UND basketball. Went to all the home games when I went to college there. Sat behind the opponent bench and gave them hell for four years.

sorry to say I need a booster shot

Unfortunately, you are among a ton of folks who feel the same way! 
The good news is that Sather may have that booster shot!

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, jdub27 said:

My take was they took some hits on this year's schedule, however it will be made up for over the next couple years. So, don't expect much this year but the future is brighter. 

I hope this is in reference to a rumour I recently heard about a possible Big 12 school coming for a game in the Ralph. 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:32 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I used to live and die with UND basketball. Went to all the home games when I went to college there. Sat behind the opponent bench and gave them hell for four years.

sorry to say I need a booster shot

They've taken a lot of the fun out of it. You can't sit behind the opponents bench anymore. We used to give them so much heck during time outs some of the coaches moved their chairs out to the free throw line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

The Snake Pit. Started at a JV game in the 1970-1971 season. Expanded to varsity game same night.  

I was there from the late 70s to early 80s

was loads of fun

could do whatever we wanted

would consider my actions then to be called an asshole today - but a fun asshole

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Exempt Allen-Eikens from this question, which of the incoming freshman have the best chance of making an impact day 1?

Probably has to be Urbonavicius. Both because we are in need of big men and also because he’s probably furthest along given his FIBA experience. He might end up having more of an impact than Allen-Eikens to be honest

4 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

Probably has to be Urbonavicius. Both because we are in need of big men and also because he’s probably furthest along given his FIBA experience. He might end up having more of an impact than Allen-Eikens to be honest

He looks pretty built already. They do need a big to desperately step up.  Whether that be Marko or G

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

He looks pretty built already. They do need a big to desperately step up.  Whether that be Marko or G

I hope Marko improved immensely from last year because I didn’t see much then. I am a huge believer in Rebraca though (POTY type potential). 

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I hope Marko improved immensely from last year because I didn’t see much then. I am a huge believer in Rebraca though (POTY type potential). 

I understand that Marko came back from Europe in lousy shape - that probably means he didn’t improve a bunch over the summer!

9 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I understand that Marko came back from Europe in lousy shape - that probably means he didn’t improve a bunch over the summer!

Coach said Marko was a player that has stood out in the preseason when asked during the Summit League media day.  I am pretty exciting to see how he does because he seems pretty skilled.

First post on this forum.  I am not an alum but just a fan of UND.  Hopefully this place will pick up a little and the new staff can bring some excitement back to UND basketball.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bballfan said:

Coach said Marko was a player that has stood out in the preseason when asked during the Summit League media day.  I am pretty exciting to see how he does because he seems pretty skilled.

First post on this forum.  I am not an alum but just a fan of UND.  Hopefully this place will pick up a little and the new staff can bring some excitement back to UND basketball.

That is good to hear. Hopefully, what I had heard was not correct!

Welcome to the board.  

On 10/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, Kab said:

I will peg us at about 5 and ndsu will not finish 1st 

probably a pretty good assessment. NDSU could finish first but a VERY good chance they won't. I would certainly take the field vs NDSU to finish first, but I do think they have the best chance out of everybody else. They lose nobody (other than Deng) and have  a year more experience. I think the Griesel kid will be much improved and they may have the best point guard in the league. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:20 PM, nd1sufan said:

probably a pretty good assessment. NDSU could finish first but a VERY good chance they won't. I would certainly take the field vs NDSU to finish first, but I do think they have the best chance out of everybody else. They lose nobody (other than Deng) and have  a year more experience. I think the Griesel kid will be much improved and they may have the best point guard in the league. 

If ORU gets any decent guard play, they might be able to win it.  I wouldn't be shocked if NDSU, USD or ORU won it this year.  Wide open, going to make league play fun. 

38 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

For someone who doesn't pay enough attention to other teams, why is SDSU expected to fall off the cliff?

I don't think they're expected to in general. they got some first place votes. I think they will because their three best players are gone and they only have one returner who had a usage rate over 20 percent last year, so they don't really natural choices to take the scoring lead. Also of note, Tray Buchanan looks like he might be one of their better players and if you remember he didn't exactly light the world on fire here. 

47 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

I don't think they're expected to in general. they got some first place votes. I think they will because their three best players are gone and they only have one returner who had a usage rate over 20 percent last year, so they don't really natural choices to take the scoring lead. Also of note, Tray Buchanan looks like he might be one of their better players and if you remember he didn't exactly light the world on fire here. 

Was your pick with or without Wingett, he just became eligible.