SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Not sure where to post this...  I saw a news interview out of Bismarck with Aanen Moody.  He basically said that Coach Sather asked him to leave and that there wasn't a place for him on team.  I know his defense was not great, but I did think he brought some shooting we needed.  I agree with Coach's philosophy about defense first, but couldn't there be a place for a sharp shooter kid from North Dakota on this team?   Unless he was some sort of cancer on the team that I don't know about.    Any thoughts?

It was an interesting interview.  I will make the same comment as I made when his transfer was first announced.  It will be the best for Aanen and UND basketball (including all of our coaches and players) that Aanen has found a new home.  I wish him well - I hope he has a great career at SUU.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

It was an interesting interview.  I will make the same comment as I made when his transfer was first announced.  It will be the best for Aanen and UND basketball (including all of our coaches and players) that Aanen has found a new home.  I wish him well - I hope he has a great career at SUU.

This.  The team will be just fine without him.  Best of luck to Aanen at SUU.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So given the news on the 1st year transfer no sit out hitting has been put on hold for now, how likely is it that Nero does play immediately?

Don’t you think he has a strong case? I mean couldn’t last year count as a redshirt year? I just don’t understand why it wouldn’t. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Don’t you think he has a strong case? I mean couldn’t last year count as a redshirt year? I just don’t understand why it wouldn’t. 

It is the NCAA.... they will find a way to screw it up.

I'm still sore over the Nash screw-job..... so I always will be a bit suspicious and perhaps am a little bit paranoid over because of it. 

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It is the NCAA.... they will find a way to screw it up.

I'm still sore over the Nash screw-job..... so I always will be a bit suspicious and perhaps am a little bit paranoid over because of it. 

You’re not wrong I just find it extremely dumb if he doesn’t get it. 

19 hours ago, UND1983 said:

This.  The team will be just fine without him.  Best of luck to Aanen at SUU.

I think we all forget moody was a double figure guy as a freshman...I get defense or whatever but Dae averaged about 14 and so did Rebrača. We couldn’t have used more scoring-shooting? We easily could have. I don’t think you guys are looking at this for what it is, we will miss Aanen. I felt like we missed him last year as well

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

I think we all forget moody was a double figure guy as a freshman...I get defense or whatever but Dae averaged about 14 and so did Rebrača. We couldn’t have used more scoring-shooting? We easily could have. I don’t think you guys are looking at this for what it is, we will miss Aanen. I felt like we missed him last year as well

I don't know all the circumstances, but I would assume if he didn't want him back it was because he has a team concept that needs everybody pulling the same direction, and if someone doesn't buy into it, it won't work.  The overall talent of the team isn't such that we would have gotten as far as we did without pieces working together.  Not saying Moody wasn't or isn't a team guy, but I don't think you get rid of a guy who can score unless there was something he was or wasn't doing that the coach wanted. 

I always was hopeful Moody would do well at UND and he had some unfortunate injuries this season.

I think the transition from being a "scorer" in high school to really being just a "shooter" in college was tougher for him than he thought it would be.

2 hours ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

If you get "defense or whatever" then you should understand that when you consistently give up more points than you are responsible for helping the team score....well, that's bad. Not arguing his shooting ability but particularly in Sather's system, you need to be able to play some defense.

He did not handle his injury in the way they he should of and members of his "inner circle" weren't shy about their opinions with commentary about the program. I feel like Sather has been pretty clear in his expectations and is also fair with people about them.

Best of luck to him, having ND kids do well is always good for the University and the team but parting ways was the correct decision for both sides. Hopefully he grows from this and does well at SUU.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

If you get "defense or whatever" then you should understand that when you consistently give up more points than you are responsible for helping the team score....well, that's bad. Not arguing his shooting ability but particularly in Sather's system, you need to be able to play some defense.

He did not handle his injury in the way they he should of and members of his "inner circle" weren't shy about their opinions with commentary about the program. I feel like Sather has been pretty clear in his expectations and is also fair with people about them.

Best of luck to him, having ND kids do well is always good for the University and the team but parting ways was the correct decision for both sides. Hopefully he grows from this and does well at SUU.

Name someone else who you know is a sure fire thing to put the ball in the basket on this team on our current roster then please.

15 minutes ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

Name someone else who you know is a sure fire thing to put the ball in the basket on this team on our current roster then please.

if you created an id to start talking up moody it's too late...he's gone...the coach that recruited him is gone...i hope he lights up the big sky but the ship has sailed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

I didn't dispute that he could shoot (41% in 18/19 before the line moved back and 37.5% this past season in limited action ). He also couldn't create his own shot and depended on others to get him the ball and even then "sure fire thing to put he ball in the basket" is a pretty strong. Brown had a better 3pt percentage than him in 2018/19 and he was on par with Walters in 2019/20. Every team needs a deep threat but those players have needed to evolve in to a "3 and D" player to see more minutes.

Like I said, I wish him well and wish it would have worked out. But I'm going to give Sather a pretty big benefit of the doubt considering his history of running a program among other factors.

2 hours ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

Lol...just stop dude.  If a coach literally asks a kid to leave, there is a really good reason why.  

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Lol...just stop dude.  If a coach literally asks a kid to leave, there is a really good reason why.  

Everyone has their reasons...but moody was a kid with three years of eligibility to go who averaged 10 as a frosh. No brainer Someone we would like to have back. I wish him the best though.