SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

I think Sather has won this team a few games this season with his coaching philosophy and play calling. Their team play and free throw shooting has obviously improved. Defense has also improved, but we don't have the talent to defend some of the better caliber players in the league. As for Moody, he was always a liability defensively and I heard he is looking to enter the transfer portal. I also heard there is some unrest within the team with some of the players not too happy with Sather. My guess is some of the players that were playing under Jones aren't happy with the increased structure and discipline that Sather has brought to the team. In my eyes, good riddance if that's the case. This team lacked structure and discipline under Jones' watch and you could tell.

2 minutes ago, FightingSioux87 said:

I think Sather has won this team a few games this season with his coaching philosophy and play calling. Their team play and free throw shooting has obviously improved. Defense has also improved, but we don't have the talent to defend some of the better caliber players in the league. As for Moody, he was always a liability defensively and I heard he is looking to enter the transfer portal. I also heard there is some unrest within the team with some of the players not too happy with Sather. My guess is some of the players that were playing under Jones aren't happy with the increased structure and discipline that Sather has brought to the team. In my eyes, good riddance if that's the case. This team lacked structure and discipline under Jones' watch and you could tell.

Pretty sure the staff isn't happy with the players they inherited either.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

Would be nice to see DAE have a monster game yet this year

he has a lot of upside

I took a look back and compare his numbers to Huff's freshman year numbers.  They are very similar in a lot of areas.  Expect in free throw percentage, where DAE has Huff beat easily

That is the one thing he hasn't had this year is that big 25+ point, 7-8 rebound game.  He's had moments where he has taken over but hasn't had that one big game.  

I like a lot about his game and I think an offseason with Sather and him not recovering from an injury could lead to a big year next year.  

I'd say #1 is to remake his shot or try and improve his mechanics.  Improving his numbers from 3 should be a priority. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I took a look back and compare his numbers to Huff's freshman year numbers.  They are very similar in a lot of areas.  Expect in free throw percentage, where DAE has Huff beat easily

That is the one thing he hasn't had this year is that big 25+ point, 7-8 rebound game.  He's had moments where he has taken over but hasn't had that one big game.  

I like a lot about his game and I think an offseason with Sather and him not recovering from an injury could lead to a big year next year.  

I'd say #1 is to remake his shot or try and improve his mechanics.  Improving his numbers from 3 should be a priority. 

Agree.  One other observation.  Need to improve on his first step.  The defense knows his move before he takes it.

8 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I always felt that this was a mid-pack Summit team and if things broke correctly, could have challenged for a top 3 spot.  The injury to Moody didn't help since he was their best 3 point shooter and a true weapon off the bench.  

I think Sather has done well in what you said:  Free throws percentage has improved, several players have gone up (Walter and Rebraca especially) and their forms look better.  I like his offense and his "Attack the heart of the paint" mentality.

I was hoping that Sather would have a few more wins against the I-29 schools.  That's something that needs to change.  That's why that win against NDSU was important.  It would have hard to go 2 years without any wins against those schools.  The turnovers were an issue as well but only have 7 against NDSU was a good sign. 

This season showed me more than anything that this team has a depth crisis and next year is going to be interesting in how this team looks.  You have DAE, Rebraca, and Moody off of injury.... then what?  Does G make the next step in the offseason?  Does Brady become more of a bench presence?  Do the freshman come in and make an impact from day 1?  Does Hazekamp have a role on this team as a bench presence after a year off?  Does ANYBODY on the team step up and play a role or will there be scholarships to play with because they are gone? 

If April comes and the passing of the transfer rule goes down... how will THAT impact the team?

Why do you keep perpetuating that Moody is the teams best 3 point shooter?  That seems to be conjecture at best.  He often drifts to one side or the other or fades away when he doesn’t have to. Maybe he would be, but when he went out, he wasn’t(numbers wise).  I certainly can’t argue that he would help with some scoring.  I think that is a very true statement.  However, defensively he can often be liable for scores on the other end.  Not say he’s not trying to get better, but when he played last year, it was alarming, how far he had to go with that part of his game.  I’m hopeful that he will improve in this area.

17 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

DAE averages 14 and 5 as a frosh in the d-1 era... I don’t know what the problem is here. Should work on his three though!

30 minutes ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

DAE averages 14 and 5 as a frosh in the d-1 era... I don’t know what the problem is here. Should work on his three though!

I don't think anyone is disappointed in his production as a freshman.  Simply hopeful he will continue to develop into the go-to guy we're hoping he will become.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

If my comments were taken as a criticism that I expected more, I apologize.  Wasn't my intent.  He has been very solid so far in his 1st season and honestly it was nice to know that in almost every game you were going to get that consistency from him.   It was just an observation that he hadn't had that Monster game yet.  He has showed flashes of being that take over guy as a freshman (see the WIU OT win).  He has made an impact from Day 1 and that was my expectation and he certainly has lived up to it. 

Just keep working on that outside shot for next year.  That's how he can take a big step forward. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, the green team said:

Why do you keep perpetuating that Moody is the teams best 3 point shooter?  That seems to be conjecture at best.  He often drifts to one side or the other or fades away when he doesn’t have to. Maybe he would be, but when he went out, he wasn’t(numbers wise).  I certainly can’t argue that he would help with some scoring.  I think that is a very true statement.  However, defensively he can often be liable for scores on the other end.  Not say he’s not trying to get better, but when he played last year, it was alarming, how far he had to go with that part of his game.  I’m hopeful that he will improve in this area.

He shot 41% from 3 last year and when he went out it was at 37.5%.  His makes last year were 3 off the UND D1 record at 84.  Walter and Stewart have improved yes, but I still think Moody is the best on the team.    

I can't argue his defense, it was bad and needs to be worked on.  That is how he can grow the most as a guard.  

Needs to get healthy first and foremost. 

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Some with much more knowledge about this program than me say Moody is more about Moody than he is about the program.

Which all of that will need to be weeded out or the next year. I am guessing there'll be 6-7 new faces next year minimum.

29 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I agree with this but Danielson is one of those guys.........

Danielson has played damn well for a freshman.  Tough defensive match ups.  Excellent rebounder.  Needs to work on is outside shoot.  He will be a valuable piece of the puzzle.  Not the star but a excellent  workhorse.

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:56 AM, Nodak78 said:

Danielson has played damn well for a freshman.  Tough defensive match ups.  Excellent rebounder.  Needs to work on is outside shoot.  He will be a valuable piece of the puzzle.  Not the star but a excellent  workhorse.

Totally agree.  If Everyone on the team worked as hard as he did we would be better off.   He is a true freshman and yes has some work to do, but no one can deny his passion and hustle.  I hope these are the types of players Sather will recruit.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:21 AM, SWSiouxMN said:

So as we near the end of the regular season and Sioux Falls being next week, it might be time to start taking stock on Year 1 of the Sather Project.

This can change as the rest of the season progresses, but how do folks feel this went?  Overachieved? Underachieved?  Went about as expected?

I’m ready to lean towards slightly overachieving. 

I think that it was a great start to Sather's time here at UND.  I don't follow basketball religiously, but I do like to keep up on how they're doing.  With what Sather had to work with, and having arguably the best outside shooter out for the year, it's pretty amazing that we are in the semi-finals.  One thing we won't know is how well his recruiting is for this level, at least for a few more years.  Danielson seems like he could turn out okay - likely not going to be a superstar but that solid guy that does the little things very well.  The guys coming in next year all look pretty good on paper.  Need to get out there and win some recruiting battles for some absolute dudes in the next couple years, though.  Minneapolis is such a hotbed of talent - we should be spending a lot more time getting kids from down here......

46 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I think that it was a great start to Sather's time here at UND.  I don't follow basketball religiously, but I do like to keep up on how they're doing.  With what Sather had to work with, and having arguably the best outside shooter out for the year, it's pretty amazing that we are in the semi-finals.  One thing we won't know is how well his recruiting is for this level, at least for a few more years.  Danielson seems like he could turn out okay - likely not going to be a superstar but that solid guy that does the little things very well.  The guys coming in next year all look pretty good on paper.  Need to get out there and win some recruiting battles for some absolute dudes in the next couple years, though.  Minneapolis is such a hotbed of talent - we should be spending a lot more time getting kids from down here......

They got someone from Prior Lake for next year, so hopefully it is a start to getting back down there and getting those kid.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where to post this...  I saw a news interview out of Bismarck with Aanen Moody.  He basically said that Coach Sather asked him to leave and that there wasn't a place for him on team.  I know his defense was not great, but I did think he brought some shooting we needed.  I agree with Coach's philosophy about defense first, but couldn't there be a place for a sharp shooter kid from North Dakota on this team?   Unless he was some sort of cancer on the team that I don't know about.    Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, NewUndFan said:

Not sure where to post this...  I saw a news interview out of Bismarck with Aanon Moody.  He basically said that Coach Sather asked him to leave and that there wasn't a place for him on team.  I know his defense was not great, but I did think he brought some shooting we needed.  I agree with Coach's philosophy about defense first, but couldn't there be a place for a sharp shooter kid from North Dakota on this team?   Unless he was some sort of cancer on the team that I don't know about.    Any thoughts?

Who knows what happened behind closed doors. I am sure Sather had his reasons.

27 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Not sure where to post this...  I saw a news interview out of Bismarck with Aanon Moody.  He basically said that Coach Sather asked him to leave and that there wasn't a place for him on team.  I know his defense was not great, but I did think he brought some shooting we needed.  I agree with Coach's philosophy about defense first, but couldn't there be a place for a sharp shooter kid from North Dakota on this team?   Unless he was some sort of cancer on the team that I don't know about.    Any thoughts?

Here is the link to the interview.

Some interesting comments.