SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

We’re only going to be as good as Stewart plays a good point. I just don’t think Stewart is the leader we want/need. 
I understand that he gets no help at the so called shooting guard position. Brown? Moody??? But he pouts too much when he can’t get off himself. Reminds at times of DaRuin my Night,  a few years ago.

Hopefully coach got a point that allows it to come to him and not worry about getting his. 

31 minutes ago, SIOUX29 said:

We’re only going to be as good as Stewart plays a good point. I just don’t think Stewart is the leader we want/need. 
I understand that he gets no help at the so called shooting guard position. Brown? Moody??? But he pouts too much when he can’t get off himself. Reminds at times of DaRuin my Night,  a few years ago.

Hopefully coach got a point that allows it to come to him and not worry about getting his. 

He’s no Q, or Geno.  
Now he is not TdR bad.....  that was bad.

Brown and Moody have been struggling, which is a big concern right now.  

Need players that will be 1st or 2ND team all conference.  Think Rebraca and DAE  will approach that and Shockey from Illinois might approach that, as well as the Bergans will be capable players.  Suburban Chicago always seems to have great players that are overlooked by the high majors, like the IPFW and USD signees, so that's what Shockey might have.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:15 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Need players that will be 1st or 2ND team all conference.  Think Rebraca and DAE  will approach that and Shockey from Illinois might approach that, as well as the Bergans will be capable players.  Suburban Chicago always seems to have great players that are overlooked by the high majors, like the IPFW and USD signees, so that's what Shockey might have.

I like how it’s just assumed that Cole Bergan will end up here. 

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend I watched the games with Montana and Easter Washington this team should have beat both of these teams but it comes down to ball security. There is no way were going to win many games giving up 15+ turnovers a game. In both of these games turnovers was major difference in the game. It was led to a lot of fast break points and fouls the other way. I have been hoping to see improvement in our ball security but it appears were making same mistakes over and over again. I don't know if its because of new style offense or inexperience of this young team but if were going to have any success this has to improve. 

also other things I have noticed is that Billy Brown has lost all confidence in taking outside shot if were going to have any success he's going to have to step up be able to hit those shots when he has opportunity. Marlon Stuart play has picked up and Rebraca I think right now is trying to do to much but he is going to be force in next few years. I wonder how long Moody is going to be out. Postives are for this team is they do control rebounds but the turnover situation just negates this positive. I guess I am getting worried now because this preconference season is coming to end and were not ready for the Summit schedule. I guess I am thinking now were going to be one of the two bottom teams not way to build enthusiasm for the program. The type of basketball Sather wants to play is going to take heck of recruiting year because type of players he has is for whole different style of basketball. These players were recruited to play with two star basketball team and to work hard on playing defense and now we have concept of more balanced attack starting inside either by driving or having your big man back into the basket put up 4 to 6 footer inside and if not kick to guard driving or spotted to hit a shot. The problem we have is that we have only one definite star type scorer in Stuart and Rebraca isn't quite there. I think thought was from previous regime there hope was that Walter or Rebraca would develop into this to other go type player and eventual hope was that eikens would become star of the future as season progresses. This has not happened and were looking at team that struggles to produce consistent offense. I guess I just got to watch and hope they make big turn around by end of the season.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:04 PM, ND-fan said:

This past weekend I watched the games with Montana and Easter Washington this team should have beat both of these teams but it comes down to ball security. There is no way were going to win many games giving up 15+ turnovers a game. In both of these games turnovers was major difference in the game. It was led to a lot of fast break points and fouls the other way. I have been hoping to see improvement in our ball security but it appears were making same mistakes over and over again. I don't know if its because of new style offense or inexperience of this young team but if were going to have any success this has to improve. 

also other things I have noticed is that Billy Brown has lost all confidence in taking outside shot if were going to have any success he's going to have to step up be able to hit those shots when he has opportunity. Marlon Stuart play has picked up and Rebraca I think right now is trying to do to much but he is going to be force in next few years. I wonder how long Moody is going to be out. Postives are for this team is they do control rebounds but the turnover situation just negates this positive. I guess I am getting worried now because this preconference season is coming to end and were not ready for the Summit schedule. I guess I am thinking now were going to be one of the two bottom teams not way to build enthusiasm for the program. The type of basketball Sather wants to play is going to take heck of recruiting year because type of players he has is for whole different style of basketball. These players were recruited to play with two star basketball team and to work hard on playing defense and now we have concept of more balanced attack starting inside either by driving or having your big man back into the basket put up 4 to 6 footer inside and if not kick to guard driving or spotted to hit a shot. The problem we have is that we have only one definite star type scorer in Stuart and Rebraca isn't quite there. I think thought was from previous regime there hope was that Walter or Rebraca would develop into this to other go type player and eventual hope was that eikens would become star of the future as season progresses. This has not happened and were looking at team that struggles to produce consistent offense. I guess I just got to watch and hope they make big turn around by end of the season.

I want to add a few things here.

I really wish Sather, and perhaps he did try to do this, had brought in point guard.  Having another ball handler would have been helpful.  Imaging having an Aaron Anderson type point guard with this squad.  

Agree with Brown, he needs to pick it up and start knocking down some shots.

Another positive, the free throws!  Team is top 20 in shooting free throws in the nation right now.   They look a lot better at the line. Walter is shooting at 95% right now and looks confident in his stroke.  Big reason he is averaging double figures right now is that massive improvement in his free throw shooting.  

What hurts Rebraca is that teams are starting to double him in the post.  He needs to be more decisive in his movement, but some of his teammates need to help to bail him out.   I'd like to see him also start shooting a 10-12 foot jump shot in the short corner to keep them honest. 

I still think this team can finish better than 8th and has shown signs that they are getting better.  They should have won both of those games out west.  If they can take better care of the ball and then knock down a few more 3s, they will be fine.

Get Moody healthy and back to being a sharpshooter.

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I want to add a few things here.

I really wish Sather, and perhaps he did try to do this, had brought in point guard.  Having another ball handler would have been helpful.  Imaging having an Aaron Anderson type point guard with this squad.  

Agree with Brown, he needs to pick it up and start knocking down some shots.

Another positive, the free throws!  Team is top 20 in shooting free throws in the nation right now.   They look a lot better at the line. Walter is shooting at 95% right now and looks confident in his stroke.  Big reason he is averaging double figures right now is that massive improvement in his free throw shooting.  

What hurts Rebraca is that teams are starting to double him in the post.  He needs to be more decisive in his movement, but some of his teammates need to help to bail him out.   I'd like to see him also start shooting a 10-12 foot jump shot in the short corner to keep them honest. 

I still think this team can finish better than 8th and has shown signs that they are getting better.  They should have won both of those games out west.  If they can take better care of the ball and then knock down a few more 3s, they will be fine.

Get Moody healthy and back to being a sharpshooter.

Sather tried to find a PG in the off season but was not confident enough in anyone to offer a scholarship.  He is going to have to pull a lot of scholarships after this season.  He didn't want to have to potentially do so with someone he had just brought in.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, UND Fan said:

Sather tried to find a PG in the off season but was not confident enough in anyone to offer a scholarship.  He is going to have to pull a lot of scholarships after this season.  He didn't want to have to potentially do so with someone he had just brought in.

Kinda sucks but if that is what it takes. How did we get in this situation?  Ugh ugh ugh ugh 

On 12/12/2019 at 9:12 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Agree 

i wonder how we can be so bad

whiffing on a player maybe but it appears we whiffed on more than a class but whiffed on multiple classes

unfortuate

Looking back at the current seniors and juniors and who would have been, there have been a lot of misses, but the junior class has been exceptional.

Players who left

Seniors

-Adam McDermott:  Crazy how he would have been a senior this year.  Had a decent freshman year, but then transferred to UNI and then left there.

-Jaqwan McCauley:  Had to retire due to injury and only play a handful of games.  Was a shame because he was highly rated in the JUCO level

-Bryce Cashman:  personal issues had caused him to leave the team. 

Juniors:

-Tray Buchannan:  Okay freshman year, but then left for JUCO and now is at SDSU in a reserve role.  Would have been a big help now had he stayed.

-Garrett Franken:  Now at D3 Dordt.  Buried deep on the bench when he was here. 

-Carter Brooks:  Brought great energy last year, but left the team.

Current Players:

Seniors:

Marlon:  Solid starter for last 1.5 years, had an issue with his grades which cost him the first half of last year.  Flashes star potential but just doesn't have "it"

Billy:  Would be a great reserve player/spot starter on other squads.  Has massively struggled this year.  

Walter:   Similar to Billy, but might be figuring it out on the offensive end consistently enough to be a decent starter.

Juniors:

Panoam:  Has seen some time in the last 1.5, but mostly has been buried in the bench

Saddler:  Buried in the bench for the most part.

I could theorize and discuss the reasons behind this but would rather not discuss what led to this and instead focus on what is in the now and the future, which is that the majority of this team contributing to this team is underclassmen and the two of the three best players is a sophomore and freshman.  

I still wouldn't be shocked if this squad had 0 seniors on it next year.   

On 12/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, UND Fan said:

I figured that he would have.  It still sucked that he couldn't get one, I think that would have massively helped this squad. 

How come the only games we can get into the Betty are lower division schools?  NDSU has got some good games at home on their schedule.  This team should break records with the competition they have coming in here.  Did I hear rumblings that next year we have some better competition coming to Grand Forks?  I couldn't even make myself go to the game last night with free tickets.

14 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

How come the only games we can get into the Betty are lower division schools?  NDSU has got some good games at home on their schedule.  This team should break records with the competition they have coming in here.  Did I hear rumblings that next year we have some better competition coming to Grand Forks?  I couldn't even make myself go to the game last night with free tickets.

It's likely that many of the DI Teams that we are traveling to this season, will make return trips to the Betty next year.  NDSU is probably just enjoying the "the return-trip" year of the arrangements it made with its non-con DI opponents.  A few years back Ben Jacobson brought his UNI squad to the Betty to return the favor of us traveling to UNI, I believe, as just one example..