SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, since the Fargo "Metro" is now on par with Minneapolis, they can do whatever they want, right? (sarcasm) :silly:

Seriously though, the scheduling has to improve. Northland Community College has no business being on our schedule. And I would say that even if we were still D-II.

But of course, it's all about keeping more of the gate. So we just keep doing what we do. Because it's "all about the relationships" and "all about teaching life lessons". :silly:

If and when we ever play "Northland Community College" it will be a problem.    I don't believe we ever have played a 2 year school from TRF.   However, we have played Northland College out of Wisconsin a few times the past few years.   But, don''t let facts get in the way

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But of course, it's all about keeping more of the gate. So we just keep doing what we do. Because it's "all about the relationships" and "all about teaching life lessons". :silly:

No it isn't, it's about the reality of getting teams to get to Grand Forks. Again, they had to make some short term sacrifices this year that will end up improving the schedule in future years. Both the AD and Coach are on record what their expectations of future scheduling are and they are doing their best to get it done.

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is the attitude that is holding our entire athletic program back. Just accept mediocrity and shut up about it. Well, I will not do that. And the more of us that refuse to accept mediocrity, the better. That is what will help get the administration to stop running athletics like a high school.

Just curious if you've bothered contacting the AD to share your thoughts and feelings and actually have some dialogue on hot button issues that continue to bug you. Or are you just satisfied continuously proclaiming to no one in particular that you "refuse to accept it" yet refuse to actually take action yourself outside of anonymous posts.

I have and have very much appreciated the openness of Chaves (and even Faison before that on certain items). I continue to come away impressed with the information that has been shared it definitely gives a little bit better understanding and perspective all while being very open to hearing outside ideas on where fans think they can do better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No it isn't, it's about the reality of getting teams to get to Grand Forks. Again, they had to make some short term sacrifices this year that will end up improving the schedule in future years. Both the AD and Coach are on record what their expectations of future scheduling are and they are doing their best to get it done.

Just curious if you've bothered contacting the AD to share your thoughts and feelings and actually have some dialogue on hot button issues that continue to bug you. Or are you just satisfied continuously proclaiming to no one in particular that you "refuse to accept it" yet refuse to actually take action yourself outside of anonymous posts.

I have and have very much appreciated the openness of Chaves (and even Faison before that on certain items). I continue to come away impressed with the information that has been shared it definitely gives a little bit better understanding and perspective all while being very open to hearing outside ideas on where fans think they can do better.

Good post.  This is what we all should do whenever we have concerns.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

So how did NDSU get THREE Division I teams to come to Fargo? The geography doesn't help them anymore than it helps us.

I would rather go on the road and play a big name Division I team for the exposure and the experience our team would get from such a trip.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Whenever I post the AD's e-mail address on this forum, I get called out for being "inappropriate". And if you don't like my comments, then don't read them.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I think Chaves has the potential to be a great athletic director; I liked his MBB hire a lot. But if we don't get HPC Phase II funded and some other things (FB locker room for example), it won't matter who the AD is or who the head coach of a particular program is, we will continue being stuck in the mud around here.

If you think everything is "fine the way it is", that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I happen to think things are not fine. After 10 years as a Division I school, we still lag behind in facilities and resources. That is a problem. And it is one the next UND President will have to address, among other things on campus.

3 hours ago, green_sioux said:

If and when we ever play "Northland Community College" it will be a problem.    I don't believe we ever have played a 2 year school from TRF.   However, we have played Northland College out of Wisconsin a few times the past few years.   But, don''t let facts get in the way

Opps, you are correct. It is a Division III school from Wisconsin. My bad. But it is still a waste of time. We should go on the road any play Division I teams instead.

41 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So how did NDSU get THREE Division I teams to come to Fargo? The geography doesn't help them anymore than it helps us.

I would rather go on the road and play a big name Division I team for the exposure and the experience our team would get from such a trip.

Don't know the answer. Surprised UND and NDSU haven't worked together to get a few teams up here and hope they can in the future.

I agree that money games are better for exposure and experience, but at some point, you still need a handful of home games even if they are less desirable. Need some sort of games to entice season ticket holders and the hometown crowd, the players need to have game experience in their own gym and you can't be on the road constantly, they are still student-athletes at some point. Don't like the quality of what's coming in to the BESC but again, understand it to a point.

Whenever I post the AD's e-mail address on this forum, I get called out for being "inappropriate". And if you don't like my comments, then don't read them.

I'll go ahead and call BS on that but I'm not sure what that has to do with you personally reaching out to the AD. I specifically asked if you have taken your own advice and e-mailed the AD with your concerns? So, have you or is the "refuse to accept" thing just something you say?

I think Chaves has the potential to be a great athletic director; I liked his MBB hire a lot. But if we don't get HPC Phase II funded and some other things (FB locker room for example), it won't matter who the AD is or who the head coach of a particular program is, we will continue being stuck in the mud around here.

If you think everything is "fine the way it is", that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I happen to think things are not fine. After 10 years as a Division I school, we still lag behind in facilities and resources. That is a problem. And it is one the next UND President will have to address, among other things on campus.

Where have I ever said everything is "fine the way it is"? Hint: I haven't but I know that gets into the way of your martyr complex. What I have done is taken time and effort to talk to the people who can make a difference, give my opinion on things I think that can improve and offer any advice that might be helpful that I can think of. Really not that hard to do it in a respectful manner and get good feedback. 

HPC II is the top priority between the Athletic Department/Champions Club with help from the Alumni Association. Not a single person will dispute its importance. They are spending a ton of time and effort on trying to get it done. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Where have I ever said everything is "fine the way it is"? Hint: I haven't but I know that gets into the way of your martyr complex. What I have done is taken time and effort to talk to the people who can make a difference, give my opinion on things I think that can improve and offer any advice that might be helpful that I can think of. Really not that hard to do it in a respectful manner and get good feedback. 

HPC II is the top priority between the Athletic Department/Champions Club with help from the Alumni Association. Not a single person will dispute its importance. They are spending a ton of time and effort on trying to get it done. 

Martyr complex? All I am doing is pointing out that we have been Division I for 10 years (give or take a year) and with the exception of HPC Phase I, we have the same facilities we had as a Division II school. Just pointing that out rubs some people the wrong way.

am i the only one that thinks instead of playing sd school of mines in front of 1000 people on a cold thursday night, chaves should load up the boys on a bus and have them play Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, and Utah every other night on the road and take the money and put it back into the program?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

am i the only one that thinks instead of playing sd school of mines in front of 1000 people on a cold thursday night, chaves should load up the boys on a bus and have them play Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, and Utah every other night on the road and take the money and put it back into the program?

Don't they play enough money games already as compared to their peer institutions within the conference?  If anything they may play a couple too many, imho.   Those are important for experiences for players---just like it is for the Northlands or Mayvilles when they come here to play, but you also have some games at home. 

Also, I'm not sure that all the money from those games, goes directly to Men's Basketball.  Don't get me wrong, some does.  I visited with the former staff at functions.  I may be mistaken but I think a portion goes into the general Athletics budget to help fund all the sports.  I'm sure there are others on here, way closer to it and have more knowledge of it than a few of my brief visits at different events.

5 minutes ago, the green team said:

Don't they play enough money games already as compared to their peer institutions within the conference?  If anything they may play a couple too many, imho.   Those are important for experiences for players---just like it is for the Northlands or Mayvilles when they come here to play, but you also have some games at home. 

Also, I'm not sure that all the money from those games, goes directly to Men's Basketball.  Don't get me wrong, some does.  I visited with the former staff at functions.  I may be mistaken but I think a portion goes into the general Athletics budget to help fund all the sports.  I'm sure there are others on here, way closer to it and have more knowledge of it than a few of my brief visits at different events.

I'm sure if you ask the guys they would be all in on a ten day road trip to play games at the above schools...i know playing at home is great but come on....the same 800 cotton tops at the betty!

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Martyr complex? All I am doing is pointing out that we have been Division I for 10 years (give or take a year) and with the exception of HPC Phase I, we have the same facilities we had as a Division II school. Just pointing that out rubs some people the wrong way.

So have you personally reached out to the AD to express your concerns and offer your views as a concerned fan who "refuse to accept" things as they are or not?

49 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU was a dance team last year and will be the favorite this year.  DI schools like an opportunity to win over a dance school.  Partnering with UND doesn’t make sense for most visiting DI schools.  When NDSU falls, that will change.

If a low to mid-level D1 team can come in and knock out two away games on one trip then it absolutely can make sense for certain teams. In return, they are either going to get two D1 home games in future years or getting paid two guarantees and with only one set of travel costs (outside of a bus and an extra night or two of hotel).

Not saying its a no-brainer across the board, pointing out that it's the kind of out of the box thinking that could help both schools get the home games they struggle with.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I'm sure if you ask the guys they would be all in on a ten day road trip to play games at the above schools...i know playing at home is great but come on....the same 800 cotton tops at the betty!

Thank goodness for the cotton tops or the Betty would be rather empty.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, jdub27 said:

If a low to mid-level D1 team can come in and knock out two away games on one trip then it absolutely can make sense for certain teams. In return, they are either going to get two D1 home games in future years or getting paid two guarantees and with only one set of travel costs (outside of a bus and an extra night or two of hotel).

Not saying its a no-brainer across the board, pointing out that it's the kind of out of the box thinking that could help both schools get the home games they struggle with.

The vast majority of low level DI schools have large numbers of schools that can be bussed to, greatly reducing cost.  A two game series in North Dakota in December is not wanted for several reasons, but a California weekend or Texas weekend is wanted.  A Dance appearance goes a long ways to visiting home and because of that, NDSU wasn’t a viable partner this year.  When NDSU and UND were in separate conferences, it was a wee bit easier to schedule one team, because they don’t want to schedule two low level schools from the same mid major conference.  Besides that, ND isn’t a recruiting center.

Pretty simple that for those that understand, unless a major cash incentive is found for the visiting team.

Prelim schedule, likely 1-2 more updates (additions/subtractions)

Non-Conf
vs. Crown College (D3)
@Gonzaga
@Valparaiso
@Milwaukee
@Minnesota
vs. North Central (D3)
@FGCU
@Georgia Southern - FGCU tournament
@Campbell - FGCU tournament
@Montana
@Eastern Washington
vs. Seattle
vs. Northland College (D3)
@Nebraska

Conference
@Denver
vs. IPWF (Sunday)
vs. Omaha (Wednesday)
@ORU
@SDSU
@NDSU (Saturday)
vs. Denver (Thursday)
vs. WIU (Saturday)
@IPFU
vs. ORU (Thursday)
vs. USD (Saturday)
@WIU
vs. SDSU (Wednesday)
vs. NDSU (Saturday)
@Omaha 
@USD

• Non-conference away games seem to be slightly higher profile this season
  • Overall, home schedule is similar to last year. 5 non-conference homes games with two being D1 games. Woof. Seattle fell through, Campbell is a tournament game. My mistake on the second one, thought something seemed off about it.
    • Some of the adjustments that were alluded to must have been to the Summit/Big Sky challenge as UND should hosting one and traveling to another. If UND hosts one like they are supposed to, that would have put them at 3 home D1 games. Assuming that will be made up in the next year or two. 
  • NDSU and USD home games on Saturdays this year, that will be good for attendance.
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Worst schedule in the country.  Looks like the Campbell game is in Florida and Seattle disappeared.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/9/27/mens-basketball-power-programs-highlight-non-conference-slate.aspx

The home slate is horrible, but the overall schedule isn't that bad. Here were last year's Kenpom rankings of each team with UND included for comparison. Seems like a nice mix of programs. Some winnable, some challenging, some out of reach but good for experience.

2 Gonzaga
 46 Minnesota
 47 Nebraska
 81 Oregon State
103 Georgia Southern
137 Montana
181 Campbell
213 FGCU
220 Valpo
237 Eastern Washington
271 UND
296 Milwaukee

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

chaves....................................how does this happen.

Thats what happens when there is only 15k in the budget every year for guarantee games.  The line about teams not wanting to come all the way up here is bs... they just don't want to do it for FREE.  Guarantee games in basketball aren't THAT expensive.  USD, SDSU, NDSU all spend more than UND on guaranteed payments for basketball, on average over the past few years.

• Like 1