SiouxSports.com Forum

2019-2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

It's likely that many of the DI Teams that we are traveling to this season, will make return trips to the Betty next year.  NDSU is probably just enjoying the "the return-trip" year of the arrangements it made with its non-con DI opponents.  A few years back Ben Jacobson brought his UNI squad to the Betty to return the favor of us traveling to UNI, I believe, as just one example..

I know this might sound crazy but they may need to actually spend money to buy 1 home game every few years.  I know, I know......crazy talk.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

How come the only games we can get into the Betty are lower division schools?  NDSU has got some good games at home on their schedule.  This team should break records with the competition they have coming in here.  Did I hear rumblings that next year we have some better competition coming to Grand Forks?  I couldn't even make myself go to the game last night with free tickets.

There will be 4 at least D-1 OOC games next year at home. Going forward, 3-4 is the the similar expectation.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Eastern Washington was supposed to be here this season as part of the Big Sky-Summit arrangement, but something got re-arranged for some reason.  We will get two Big Sky teams at home either next year or the following year.

This is correct. UND was at Montana Friday and would have got home late Saturday for a Sunday matinee matchup vs. EWU. Meanwhile, EWU would have beat UND to Grand Forks by likely a full day. They flipped the games with EWU and they will be coming here next year. 

5 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

How come the only games we can get into the Betty are lower division schools?  NDSU has got some good games at home on their schedule.  This team should break records with the competition they have coming in here.  Did I hear rumblings that next year we have some better competition coming to Grand Forks?  I couldn't even make myself go to the game last night with free tickets.

I am sure Coach Sather would agree with your concerns.  The three lopsided home wins aren't helping him prepare his team for Summit play.  As others have noted, I think we will see much better home schedules in the future.

32 minutes ago, Undfan34346 said:

Thoughts on DAE this year?

Has had an impactful start to his UND career.  Love his motor and his size and athletic ability at the 3 spot has been a breath of fresh air and something UND hasn’t had since Huff. His outside shot needs a little work but is solid at the free throw line.   I don’t have too much to complain about him, he is a stud and I cannot wait to see what he can do 1 year from now.   He and Rebraca together for the next 2.5 years is going to be awesome.  

• 2 weeks later...

This team seems to be starting to click, and Sather is really starting to show that he has a lot of potential to be an effective coach in the mid-major ranks.  I'm fairly optimistic that this team could make some noise this year yet.......

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

This team seems to be starting to click, and Sather is really starting to show that he has a lot of potential to be an effective coach in the mid-major ranks.  I'm fairly optimistic that this team could make some noise this year yet.......

It would help if they ever got Moody back.  Could definitely use another 3-pt. shooter.   He's been out for a month or so, so I wonder if he broke a bone.....

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well that sucks, but at least he got the redshirt.  

I'm curious on that. Typically you only get a medical if you lose two years to injury or if you didn't redshirt and only played minimally one of your 4 years due to injury (which doesn't apply). Was he hurt his redshirt year (2017/18)?

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm curious on that. Typically you only get a medical if you lose two years to injury or if you didn't redshirt and only played minimally one of your 4 years due to injury (which doesn't apply). Was he hurt his redshirt year (2017/18)?

pretty sure he said "medical redshirt"...

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not ruling it out if he wasn't injured his true freshman year, just seems different than how it normally works. But who knows with the NCAA.

You have it correct. If Moody/UND can prove that he was injured during his true freshman season, then he'll have a shot at a replacement year of competition. But if he redshirted that first year for developmental reasons, it shouldn't matter whether they designate this a medical redshirt year or not.

OTOH, I guess it's useful to declare it a medical redshirt year in case he gets injured again; then he could at least get three full seasons of competition.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:37 PM, sioux24/7 said:

Wanted to check to see what Jal was doing in JUCO and noticed he wasn’t listed on the roster anymore. Continued googling and found this article https://theperrynews.com/ames-man-allegedly-kicks-threatens-to-kill-waukee-police/ hopefully he can find any help he needs. 

if you've ever peeked at his twitter account in the past he likes to play the victim/race card on a lot of his tweets and retweets....

• 5 weeks later...

So as we near the end of the regular season and Sioux Falls being next week, it might be time to start taking stock on Year 1 of the Sather Project.

This can change as the rest of the season progresses, but how do folks feel this went?  Overachieved? Underachieved?  Went about as expected?

For me, about as expected.

The cupboard was and is pretty bare when Sather got here. 

You can tell offensively that there is actually a plan, rather than just clearing out and having our most talented player go one-on-one and hope for the best, which is what the M.O. was for Jones' teams for 13 years.

Free throw shooting seems to have improved measurably.  

I also feel like if Moody had been available for the entire season, that would have been worth 2-3 more wins minimum.  This team just doesn't have much depth right now.

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

For me, about as expected.

The cupboard was and is pretty bare when Sather got here. 

You can tell offensively that there is actually a plan, rather than just clearing out and having our most talented player go one-on-one and hope for the best, which is what the M.O. was for Jones' teams for 13 years.

Free throw shooting seems to have improved measurably.  

I also feel like if Moody had been available for the entire season, that would have been worth 2-3 more wins minimum.  This team just doesn't have much depth right now.

I always felt that this was a mid-pack Summit team and if things broke correctly, could have challenged for a top 3 spot.  The injury to Moody didn't help since he was their best 3 point shooter and a true weapon off the bench.  

I think Sather has done well in what you said:  Free throws percentage has improved, several players have gone up (Walter and Rebraca especially) and their forms look better.  I like his offense and his "Attack the heart of the paint" mentality.

I was hoping that Sather would have a few more wins against the I-29 schools.  That's something that needs to change.  That's why that win against NDSU was important.  It would have hard to go 2 years without any wins against those schools.  The turnovers were an issue as well but only have 7 against NDSU was a good sign. 

This season showed me more than anything that this team has a depth crisis and next year is going to be interesting in how this team looks.  You have DAE, Rebraca, and Moody off of injury.... then what?  Does G make the next step in the offseason?  Does Brady become more of a bench presence?  Do the freshman come in and make an impact from day 1?  Does Hazekamp have a role on this team as a bench presence after a year off?  Does ANYBODY on the team step up and play a role or will there be scholarships to play with because they are gone? 

If April comes and the passing of the transfer rule goes down... how will THAT impact the team?

I think Sather has done a slightly better job than I expected for this year. As has been mentioned many times before, the cupboard was left pretty bare outside of Marlon and Rebraca and DAE at times. My biggest question for Sather to solve this off-season is who the hell on this team will be able to bring the ball up the court? 

Would love for Sather to add two more I-29 wins this week and at that point I think he will have done a really good job in comparison to expectations. 

I think that Sather has done an excellent job regardless of how we do this week.  He's squeezed about everything that he could have out of what he inherited.  As has been mentioned, the availability of Moody would have probably meant at least a couple of more wins and the development of Stewart and Walter under Sather and his staff has been impressive.  Going forward, to state the obvious, it will all depend on whether he can land the recruits that it will take to build a perennial contender.  It'll take some time to develop the recruiting relationships, but I think that he'll get it done.

• Upvote 2